RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Kit choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:04 AM
Steve737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit choices

Please be gentle on the n00b...

That being said, about 5-6 years ago, I bought an HPI nitro kit that, if I remember correctly, had everything in the box. Radio, motor, etc. I tried looking at the discontinued list on HPI's site, and couldn't find the exact model, but it was something along the RS4 setup.

I'm looking to get back into this money-pit, I mean hobby, and really want another kit. Apparently, kits aren't popular anymore. To me, that was the best part of the whole thing, putting it all together.

I'm looking for something similar to what the HPI was, maybe a little faster, but a kit, first and foremost. I have no brand allegiance, but I know all my LHS's carry HPI. I'm not worried about ordering online, but by the time I get it together and running, I don't want to wait 2 weeks for replacement parts because I have to order replacement parts online.

Basically, I'm looking for recommendations for 1/10 nitro on-road kits that include everything in the box. I'm not savvy enough to piece together a motor, rcvr, servos, blah blah blah, at least not after 5 years.

It's most going to be parking lot fun, maybe taking it to the local HobbyTown that sets up an outdoor track, but nothing serious. Thanks a ton, in advance.

Steve
Old 10-16-2011, 01:14 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Kit choices

You won't find a kit that includes all the electrics and engine, or at least, they are unbelievably rare. It is assumed if you want to build a kit you want to source and fit your own electrics/engine, this is a universal thing in the hobby. Then there are what they call 'rollers' or 'race-rollers', which is an assembled kit, without engine, etc. Then there are the RTRs, which include everything, but are already fully built.

So, I'm guessing you want a 1/10th nitro touring car, since you are posting in this forum? If you don't plan to race in a fairly competitive way, there is no point going for a kit. They are generally much more expensive, of better quality, trickier to build, and intended for racing. Plus you will have to source everything else and fit it before it's running. An RTR would be the way to go, and if you are really set on doing some wrench work, it's never a bad idea to strip and rebuild an RTR to make sure it's put together properly. Another HPI car would be a good plan. I believe they've rereleased the RS4 Evo cars, which are a great little choice for your needs.