Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Jato

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:56 PM
roppeltman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jato

I figured this is probaly a beat subject on here ,but im going to go ahead and ask anyway. A friend of mine is on his way to Maryland from the Wilkes Barre /Scranton Pa.area (about a 5 1/2 hour drive) to buy a Jato. This Jato is an absolute beautiful ride. All aluminum, front to back, top to bottom,with a supercharged 3.3.....typical shelf queen no doubt. He is buying it because it has a super charger on it (a $160 part), my question is. Does the supercharger really do anything ,except cause headaches? Does it really add horsepower? From what i've read about them they dont do anything but look really cool. I tried to talk him out of it ,but he insisted this was going to be the fastest r/c in the valley and the seller told him it will top 100 mph. I told him ok ,I have a 4 tec that will do 120 mph,do u believe me? He said no,I said then why in the hell would u believe someone whom you've never met in your life? Its to late now ,he's on his way to buy the car.I just wanted to know if anyone on here ever tried or know of anyone who has had a supercharger on an r/c and is it really worth the money?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:23 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Jato

No, the supercharger does not add any extra power. A two stroke works by using the piston to pull fuel/air into the block during an upstroke. Once the piston hits TDC, the intake is closed off. The piston pulls fuel/air into the block A LOT faster than a supercharger can push it in. After the intake is closed off, the spinning supercharger pressurizes the carb, which will just lean it out prior to the next cycle. What seems like and increase in power is just the engine running leaner... dangerously leaner. Without a highly modified 3.3 and a change in gearing, the Jato will get nowhere near 100mph. Especially with all that aluminum, full aluminum builds are ridiculously heavy. My best guess is (if the engine and gearing is stock) that it will probably be slower than a stock Jato.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:21 PM
jude26
My Feedback: (1)

how much is he paying for it?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:06 PM
roppeltman

He didnt say exactly but I got him around $700....

Old 10-18-2011, 04:13 PM
roppeltman

Thx for the explanation. Can't wait till Friday night when we all start racing and he is 1,trying to tune it to even run for a lap, 2 ,blows it up for running so lean and melts the piston ,or3 , gets it running to race and gets smoked by my 4 tec and two stock Jatos....lol Even if it was ,"the fastest r/c in the valley" , its worthless without the controller in the hands of someone who can drive it. Rest assured, he cant drive a stock rustler yet alone a modded Jato..Thanks again..
Old 10-20-2011, 03:57 AM
roppeltman

Well its done .He bought it. Its a very nice, well built car. He ,of course ran it for 10 minutes and crashed it ,breaking the steering servo already. He's getting it fixed today and we're due to race the cars again Friday night. I bet him ,with out even seeing the car run ,that I will beat him in a 5 lap shoot out . I also placed a side bet with his cousin that he wont make 3 laps with out crashing ......Ill post results Friday night or sometime Saturday....Cant wait to post that my stock 4 tec smoked a supercharged Jato....This should be real fun...
Old 10-20-2011, 04:24 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, a 4tec is 4wd, and a bit more road worthy than a Jato. A Jato is a glorified stadium truck. It shouldn't take much to beat it, I'm sure it could be done with a RTR NTC3.