Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

RS4 Evo 3 No rear wheel power??

Old 11-17-2011, 01:44 PM
illestrolla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 Evo 3 No rear wheel power??

Hey all,

Am a bit new to this forum so Ihope that this was posted in the correct spot (plz forgive me mods)

Irecently picked up an RS3 evo 3+ from a buddy who has gotten outta the nitro and more into the brushless cars.

First let me say, I am fairly new to the RCworld, but have been a mechanic/building full size cars for years, Icannot get over the amount of detail/precision that goes into these things, its everything im used to working with on a daily basis just on a much MUCHsmaller scale

since picking the car up, I have only been able to run2-3 tanks of gas through it and have encountered some small issues along the way.

First issue: car was running great, carbs all dialed in, after some spirited driving, I heard a jump in revs on a full throttle pass (sounded like a slipping clutch)found loose engine screws and the tq from the motor was causing the engine to tweak and not engage the drivetrain fully.

Little bit of loc-tite and a nice snug on the engine mounting screws, gear mesh set, Bingo!cars back to normal

NOW

this brings us to my current issue,

took the car out again last night, made another high speed pass, heard the same "jump" in revs under load, thought the engine had come loose again, checked that, still snug, gear mesh still 100%

placed the car in the air with wheels off the ground and found only the front wheels to be spinning.

the rear diff/axles all seem to be OK , everything turns together w. no binding, HOWEVER i noticed a hole in the plastic center gear box cover (as if something blew a hole through it)

so this leaves me with where I am at today, if i lift the rear wheels and push the car forward, i can see the front drivetrain engage the tranmission, spin the gears ect, but that is not the case with the rear, i can rotate the rear driveshaft but get no gear motion outta the trans.

seems like somthing has either come loose, or is missing from the 2 speed trans that is not allowing the rear drivetrain to get any power.

So here I am, looking for help from some of you pros!

any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:42 AM
illestrolla

Default RE: RS4 Evo 3 No rear wheel power??

Well, printed out the exploded parts view of the clutch/trans system last night and went digging, found the set screw connecting the trans to rear axle to be missing!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 PM
iexion

This is very common in any scale rc. I had a 1/8 scale truck that the set screw would come out from the transmission to the rear shaft. Obviously dont over tighten those because they are a ***ch to get out.

Welcome to the RCU forums btw

With the way it sounds, your headed in the right direction. The only issue(s) i really had with the RS4 3 series from Hpi is knowing how the clutch bell works. That and the fuel tubing rubbing against the clutch bell.
Good luck with the car.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:18 PM
illestrolla

Thanks for the response!

I will give the car a Go tonight when I get home from work.

I have already noticed the fuel tube running very close to the clutch bell, will try to figure something out to solve that one.

Overall, the exploded view was all I really needed, The car was very overwhelming at first and I was a bit scared to get into it with no documentation.

Now that I have the service guide, should be able to tackle most of the issues that come my way.

God these things are too much fun, Thanks for the welcome BTW!
Old 11-18-2011, 02:55 PM
iexion

Yeah Without the exploded view I would never have have my rs4 running at all (when I use to have mine), It would of been in a billion pieces all over.

There is alot going on here but the best place to ask questions and view topics with that specific model is [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_868864/mpage_225/tm.htm]here[/link]