Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

new to nitro and forums

Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 PM
dylanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to nitro and forums

Hey guys my wife just bought me a NTC3 for christmas, its a pretty nice car and all. I will be messing around and learning the basics on the stock motor but i am already looking to upgrade the motor and came up with 2 motors im looking at so far. one is the O.s. .18 Cvr and another is the Ofna Picco/Jlr .12 EVO 3 RED DOT. (1.35hp vs 1.6hp) But im looking at which one will fit better. And all around will be a better streetable motor. I want something that is fast as **** but wont be hard to keep under control. It would be sweet to have a car that did 70+ so i guess thats my goal. any ways here is pics of the car. Any suggestions would be nice! Thanks guys! Also i have a redcats lightning gxp drift car and have been messing around with parts on that. So im somewhat experienced but not a whole bunch.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60330.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1702783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42098.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1702784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19226.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1702785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97292.jpg
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1702786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi61153.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1702787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne55685.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1702788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np19360.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1702789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ts62311.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1702790  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fe64439.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1702791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gs84534.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1702792  
Old 12-20-2011, 07:12 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: new to nitro and forums

both of the engines you mentioned will be good. the biggest difference with them is the CVR is a side exhaust engine and the Picco is a rear exhaust engine. the stock engine is a side exhaust so the CVR will be a direct bolt in replacement. the Picco will have a higher top end and the cvr will have a stronger bottom end. It looks like from the pics that the engine you have in it now is a OS .12 CV or OS .15 CV based on the head. both of the engine you mentioned will be a substantial upgrade to what you have in there now.

On a side note. you can't go off of the list HP/RPM numbers the manufactures list. they are usually inflated and very unreliable since there is no standard of measurement that all manufactures adhere to.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:00 PM
dylanc

wow thank you very much yeah im not sure what kinda motor is in there currently id have to ask the guy. But i guess its pretty hands down. Ill go for the CVR. Any other mods u think would go with the motor well? I just dont wanna end up breaking stuff lol. But thank you so much for the respectful reply!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:15 PM
dylanc

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP7

this is the correct item right? I know the motor is correct but the carb?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:22 AM
rchabits

ORIGINAL: dylanc

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP7

this is the correct item right? I know the motor is correct but the carb?
What you need is a slide carburator(Unless you modify the linkage)this is what you need Part #LXGGP6 and find yourself a nice dynamite tuned pipe to compliment the rpm.Then add more teeth to your gearing to go faster,but it looks like you have no experience so ask the lhs to help you out and stay thirsty my friend.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 AM
tomst-maxx
My Feedback: (8)

hey looking t your car, which is very nice by the way, i noticed you dont have any air holes in the body. How are your motor temps with all the hot air trapped in the body? I know with my NTC3 I have to have a air vent in the front windsheild otherwise the temps get to high.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:51 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGGP6&P=SM
This one has the slide carb

this link has a bunch if good info on the NTC3. tuning guides, setup sheets exploded views and upgrades.
http://www.teamassociated.com/manuals/NTC3/

I would also suggest you get rid of the 4 AA batteries for your receiver. get something like ths instead. this is the one I have in mine.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTYW4&P=7
Old 12-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Jake C6R

Welcome to the world of nitro. And congrats on the NTC3 - they are cool cars. Old school but easy to work on, parts are super easy to find and lots of fun, I have 2 myself and enjoy them very much. Once you have taken it completely apart you will see what I mean about how simple they are. The design may be old but they can still be fast. Good choice for a parking lot basher in my opinion!

Oh yes, engines. One has a Picco .12 7 port which was only $70 new and runs great, Ibought that one to use while I figure out what is wrong with my OS .12TRthat is giving me fits!The other one has a AE .12. which Ijust rebuilt, that does surprisingly well.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 AM
dylanc

yes i do plan on cutting holes in the front and rear windshields. i dont know why there isnt the holes already in there. But i will drill em. Any suggestion on where? or does it matter? (i.e. center left or right side of windshield) Btw thanks for all the info guys! But there is only like a $25 difference in price for the engines. I can get the picco off ebay for $175-190 and the o.s. .18 is only $150. So is there a huge difference in the motors besides one is a rear and side exhaust and that ones a .12 and the others a .18? Is there anything that would make me say DAM i want this one so bad! lol. Cuz i saw a video of a guy that stuck a o.s. .18 in his and his was popping wheelies all over the dam place lol. I dont want that.........also i seen a lot of people doing the single speed conversions. Is that really worth it?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:48 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

The motor the car is in the car is a TOP (Novarossi) CT12, it is not the stock motor. It is, however, a really really nice engine. An 18 CV-RX would be a downgrade. If the motor is tired, rebuild it. The piston and sleeve can be had for $45.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:01 PM
tomst-maxx

cut the hole/holes inline with the motor so the air passes right threw it.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:50 PM
tomst-maxx

I have to tear apart my tc3 this winter and get a new gasket for the exhaust, and do a real good cleaning of the motor, possible rebuild it. For right now i run the stock motor and i love it. No need for me to upgrade as i dont have any track by me and i just run it at parking lots. but i still manage to burn the tires up
Old 12-24-2011, 11:13 AM
dylanc

oh so this isnt the stock motor??? Shiz. how can i make sure for SURE. I would hate to waste $150.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:14 AM
dylanc

ORIGINAL: proanti1

The motor the car is in the car is a TOP (Novarossi) CT12, it is not the stock motor. It is, however, a really really nice engine. An 18 CV-RX would be a downgrade. If the motor is tired, rebuild it. The piston and sleeve can be had for $45.

cuz the original owner said he fully rebuilt the car top to bottom before he sold me it. so i should keep this motor in it? Cuz he told me it was stock.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:11 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: dylanc

ORIGINAL: proanti1

cuz the original owner said he fully rebuilt the car top to bottom before he sold me it. so i should keep this motor in it? Cuz he told me it was stock.
I would keep it in there. That is not a stock motor, not by any means. The stock motor had a silver head anyways.