Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

The best 1/8th On Road Nitro that's a kit or ARR?

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

The best 1/8th On Road Nitro that's a kit or ARR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best 1/8th On Road Nitro that's a kit or ARR?

Hey guys, I've been having a LOT of trouble finding many 1/8th scale on road nitros period, let alone kits and arr's... I'm really looking to get a 1/8th on road, because I drove an Ofna GTP around a little bit and it was a ton of fun. My issue is that I HATE RTR!!!!!!!!! I would LOVE to find a good quality on road 1/8th kit, but it seems that absolutly zero exist. I've found the Ofna DM-1 and GTP 1/8th ARR's, but I have some questions. The OFNA GTP ARR is listed as an oval car, but I can't find any differences between it and the RTR accept for the hub extensions, that are optional. Is this the case? Next, the DM-1 seems to be out of production; I sent OFNA an email asking them what the case is, but have yet to hear back. Does anyone know what's going on with it? I like the looks of the Losi L8ight Model(The quality of the car, not the body) and it seems that even though it's a "Dirt Oval" car, that it would work fine for driving around parking lots and what not. However, the Losi doesn't have a two speed, which makes me think it would be kind of slow and crappy in a big parking lot or long track... These are the only three 1/8th on road nitro cars I can find that are at least offered in ARR form.... Are their any others out there I should look into? I haven't looked at X-Ray yet, because parts availability in the Orlando area is non existent. Please, don't even mention any RTR's, as I refuse to buy them. The only RTR I've ever bought is an MGT 8.0, because I got it almost brand new for dirt cheap. Then I proceeded to tear it apart and upgrade it anyhow. LOL

Thanks in advance for the help people!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:00 AM
lez1troubles

Default RE: The best 1/8th On Road Nitro that's a kit or ARR?

Goto be the Kyosho Inferno GT.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Barber420

Okay people, here is an update on both the 1/7th and 1/8th DM-1 models. I just spoke with Dave at OFNA, and he said they are simply in between production runs at the moment. They ARE NOT going to discontinue these kits, nor do they have any forseeable plans to. They will begin a production run of these models again soon, when they are done with the current production run of another model, and they will soon be available again. He said they generally come out quarterly. So, I think this means I will be buying the 1/7th DM-1 we have sitting way back on a shelf at the hobby shop I work at!!! However, I don't have the cash for it right at this moment, so I'll have to wait a little bit. Therefore, any opinions, thoughts, and comments are still welcome here!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Brent Davis

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7312977/tm.htm

Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Barber420

I'm reading through that entire long a** thread right now! LOL! I actually went up to work today, it was my day off, and put the 1/7 DM-1 Pro we had hidden away on lay away. I put down $113 today, now I just need to come up with the other $339... Gotta love the employee discount! Hopefully, I should be able to bring it home by mid February. Unfortunately, I'll need to buy servos, engine, and other miscellaneous parts(like the RTR dual brake) so it'll probably be the end of February, or beginning of March before I actually have it complete and get to drive it... It's going to be torture!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:27 AM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Barber420
I actually went up to work today, it was my day off, and put the 1/7 DM-1 Pro we had hidden away on lay away. Gotta love the employee discount!
let me get this right .......Do you work at a hobby shop here in Orlando?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:13 AM
Barber420

Yup, I work at Graves RC Hobbies. We're out on N. OBT, right by John Young. I work Mon., Wed., Thu., and Fri. In fact, I'm about to leave for work right now...
Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 AM
On2_n_On4

cool man! thats my fav. HS in Orlando... is the only HS in Orlando that I can find tires and some other parts for my baja.
do you work in the car section ?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Barber420

Yes sir! Graves is the shiat! The only other LHS that is any comparison is Superior Hobbies, and they only have car stuff, where as we have it all. I'm there all day, for those four days a week I work(4 tens.) I do work in the car department, my name is Nick, if you ever want to put a face to the posts. I'm sure I'll see you around sometime. Do you ever run at the on road track in Kissimmee? I haven't been there, but I have a flyer with a picture of the track on it and it looks sick. I plan on going there and running the DM-1 when I have it finished here in, hopefully, a month or so. Where do you live in Otown? I live in Park Central apartments on the corner of John Young and Americana/Conroy.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:31 PM
On2_n_On4

NICE! I will make sure to talk to u next time I stop by.
I'm Robert by the way... I live in Ventura Country Club... on Curryford Rd. about 10min. from the airport.

true., superior is nice also, I get most of my kyosho parts from them.....but can't be compared to graves.

is has been a while since the last time I went there...maybe 4/5 montth.
But every time I go is very early in the morning, before you even open the doors.... lol always try to park up front (black Evo VIII/ black wheels)
I have never been at that track (Im just a basher) but I have seen pics and some of the GT guys from the proboards race there. Nice track and I hear is big track also.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 AM
Barber420

Nice ride, I definitely won't miss that! I love EVO's.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:36 AM
avengerGT8

Hey Barber420.... how come so opposed to RTR?

In a LHS scenario I would have kept some 'shekels' close at hand for the hobbyist that drops in with that slightly used GT and wants to dump it
because the nitro motor has completely mystified him......seen this several times. The best cars end up being what you make of one anyway.

You lucky stiffs in FL and lots of tracks.....wow.

Serpent Cobra GT is releasing a 'kit'. My first choice for a new one in the box would be the Kyosho Race Spec GT because it's going to come
with 2.4 radio, .25 engine, updated (dual) brakes, better chassis braces, updated 2-speed trans and metal gear servos. The only glitch is it's a long (or GT2) chassis and i prefer the short GT1 wheelbase.For the $$$ of the normal RTR + 'upgrades', the new Kyosho is a bargain out of the box .

The Cobra GTwill be awesome but i like my Kyosho stuff just fine. Only a few locals are into the Ofna but they have done well in our races.

* (also the 'scuttlebut' has it that some other manufacturers are going to get in on the GT action.....)

Kyosho GT, Futaba, Sweep Tires, Clockwork Engines
Old 02-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Barber420

When I first got into this hobby, 23 years ago, their was no such thing as RTR. For me, building the kits is as much fun or more so to me as actually running the cars. I think RTR makes this less of a hobby and turns it more into a bunch of expensive toys. Hobby means that you build and work on what you're doing, not just buying something, pulling it out of a box, and running it... Now, I don't hate RTR's all together, because the RTR guys keep me busy at work fixing their stuff for them. RTR also introduces a lot of people to the hobby that otherwise would never get involved. Now, what gets my goat about RTR the most is how it's killing off kits!!! I'm so afraid that before long everything is going to come in RTR form and RTR will be all that is available, and honestly, if that day comes I'll be done with new RC's. All that will be left for me then is restoring the old ones. Lastly, I don't like having to buy a car with inferior components in it... Every RTR, aside from LOSI, come with total POS radios and servos. All that leaves me with is crap I have to take out and sell on ebay. I really don't understand why it's so hard for the manufacturers to offer something in both RTR and kit form.[&:] That would be the best of both worlds; then us old school guys can be happy building our kits and putting in top shelf components, and the RTR people can buy their toy and beat the crap out of it.

As for the on road kit, I ended up going with a DM-1 Pro, which was more of a kit then I expected! I think I'll be real happy with it, but I don't know for sure yet because I still have to buy an engine for it.