RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

HPI RS4 3 Evo

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 PM
WyldOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI RS4 3 Evo

Hey all,

I recently bought a brand new HPI RS4 3 Evo online from China (I'm from Australia).

While waiting for my car to arrive in the post, I bought some hop up parts as I was getting a little excited. I purchased 4x GPM Racing Pro Aluminum 55MM Threaded Shocks (Purple) and two fuel filters as I was unsure on which one I want so now not try both - Novarossi Long Aluminum Fuel Filter and a GH Racing Large Aluminum Fuel Filter (Purple).

I ducked into my local hobby shop to purchase some fuel, they recommended I run my car in using Cool Power 5% nitro fuel.

The day I received my car, I started it up only to run into a few problems. My car wouldn't idle and kept creeping forward, when the fuel tank was about to empty, the car increased RPM's - is this normal? And I had fuel spitting out somewhere around my head gasket.

What do yous all think? How would I go with warranty? The car is currently in the local hobby shop getting looked at.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ec87302.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1762799   Click image for larger version

Name:	hc91559.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1762800  
Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HPI RS4 3 Evo

ORIGINAL: WyldOne

Hey all,

I recently bought a brand new HPI RS4 3 Evo online from China (I'm from Australia).

While waiting for my car to arrive in the post, I bought some hop up parts as I was getting a little excited. I purchased 4x GPM Racing Pro Aluminum 55MM Threaded Shocks (Purple) and two fuel filters as I was unsure on which one I want so now not try both - Novarossi Long Aluminum Fuel Filter and a GH Racing Large Aluminum Fuel Filter (Purple).

I ducked into my local hobby shop to purchase some fuel, they recommended I run my car in using Cool Power 5% nitro fuel.

The day I received my car, I started it up only to run into a few problems. My car wouldn't idle and kept creeping forward, when the fuel tank was about to empty, the car increased RPM's - is this normal? And I had fuel spitting out somewhere around my head gasket.

What do yous all think? How would I go with warranty? The car is currently in the local hobby shop getting looked at.

If this is your first nitro you need to understand that you will need to learn how to tune it. none of the issues you mentioned sound like defects, just things that need to be tuned/adjusted. You have an Idle adjustment on you carb that will open or close the carb to set you idle. There are also needle settings on the carb that adjust the fuel flow ( HSN, LSN- High Speed Needle and Low Speed Needle) you need to read the manual to see how to use these adjustments. It sound like you are experiencing half tank lean. Make sure your fuel tank seals completely, that can cause the idle to increase as you run lower on fuel. Make sure you press down on the fuel tank lid so that it seals properly. the engine may also have an air leak which could cause it to run leaner. With the fuel spitting out around the head gasket it is probably actually coming out from around the exhaust manifold. Just tighten down the screws that hold the manifold in place and you should be fine.

Now I wouldn't use 5% fuel. Go with 20% fuel and you will get better performance and it will be much easier to tune. Are you breaking in the engine as per the manual? If you don't do a proper break-in you will shorten the life span of your engine. Also you said it was new when you bought it? The pics show that the front and rear weels don't match. Of course that is just cosmetic and really doesn't affect performance I just find that odd.

Just read thru your manual and you will find the solution to most of the problems you are having. Don't mess with getting a warranty replacement, the car just needs to be setup properly. Even RTRs need to be setup and gone over before you run them. Go over the whole car and make sure every screw is tight and for any screw that has metal to metal contact needs a drop of blue lock tight on it so you don't lose the screw and damage something else. Good luck with you new car they are fun to drive!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 PM
rx7devil210

I suggest you run 20 %  and yes once the tank is almost empty it will increase rpms. Ive had the same problems but if you have a good tune it should idle perfect. I got mine to idle perfect.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:15 AM
WyldOne

Looking at doing a few more mods. Looking at putting a nice pipe on, any suggestions?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:06 AM
WyldOne

As my car sits now. Fuel tank has been flipped around as fuel line was kinking. Suggestions on what I should do next?

Name:	Zx70660.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1768978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38838.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1768979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72116.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1768980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91987.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	1768981  
Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 AM
WyldOne

Sorry about pic quality, iPhone not the greatest.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 AM
yakfish

As my car sits now. Fuel tank has been flipped around as fuel line was kinking. Suggestions on what I should do next?
I wouldn't worry about an aftermarket pipe until you descide to upgrade the engine. the stock pipe is actually pretty good for the stock engine. Other upgrades include carbon fiber decks which look cool but you won't see much of a benifit by the little bit of weight savings.
The next thing I would do is get rid of the molded plastic turn buckles and pick up a set of adjustable turnbuckles. The plastic one are fine but you can really do any suspnsion tuning with them.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCYS9&P=7
These aren't pretty but they are do have a usefull function. If you want pretty other companies sell colored aluminum sets that do the same thing. Also you might want to pick up some different gear sets for it (threaded clutch bell pinions and spur gears) less teeth on the clutch belll equal more torque less top end, and less teeth on the spur equal less torque more top speed, more teeth on the clutch bell equals more top speed less toque, and more teeth on the spur equal more toque less top end speed. you can find the combination of clutch bell and spur gears to find the balance of trque and top speed you want. After that if you want more performance start looking at engine upgrades!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:28 PM
rx7devil210

Yea i flipped my tank around too because my fuel line busted on the gearing.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:40 PM
rx7devil210

If i get the adjustable turnbuckles will i be able to adjust the camber???
Old 06-05-2012, 04:47 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: rx7devil210

If i get the adjustable turnbuckles will i be able to adjust the camber???
Yes. That is the reason to get the adjustable links. you wil be able to adjust camber, caster and toe.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:08 PM
WyldOne

ORIGINAL: yakfish

I wouldn't worry about an aftermarket pipe until you descide to upgrade the engine. the stock pipe is actually pretty good for the stock engine. Other upgrades include carbon fiber decks which look cool but you won't see much of a benifit by the little bit of weight savings.
The next thing I would do is get rid of the molded plastic turn buckles and pick up a set of adjustable turnbuckles. The plastic one are fine but you can really do any suspnsion tuning with them.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCYS9&P=7
These aren't pretty but they are do have a usefull function. If you want pretty other companies sell colored aluminum sets that do the same thing. Also you might want to pick up some different gear sets for it (threaded clutch bell pinions and spur gears) less teeth on the clutch belll equal more torque less top end, and less teeth on the spur equal less torque more top speed, more teeth on the clutch bell equals more top speed less toque, and more teeth on the spur equal more toque less top end speed. you can find the combination of clutch bell and spur gears to find the balance of trque and top speed you want. After that if you want more performance start looking at engine upgrades!
Thanks Yak!

I'll take all that into consideration

Few more pics.

Name:	Pn35755.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1769935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33772.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1769936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65403.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1769937  
Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 PM
WyldOne

Forgot one more pic.

Name:	Ca82399.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1769943  
Old 06-06-2012, 07:12 PM
WyldOne

Manage to flip the car a few times... I need a open car park lol.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:52 PM
rx7devil210

Yea i flipped mine too did you do the zip tie trick so you dont mess up your heatsink??
Old 06-15-2012, 12:56 AM
WyldOne

Just a small video of my car having a squirt.

http://youtu.be/AxW5Ere5_Jc
Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 PM
rx7devil210

Yea i just got my adjutable turnbuckles installed. Came from hong kong. I didnt like the molded plastic ones as well. Plus you cant tune with the moled ones.