RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

big block in ntc3 rtr

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:15 PM
big boater
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big block in ntc3 rtr

can i put a big block engine (21. to 30.) in the tc3 rtr?? thanks..
Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 PM
authorjim1

Default RE: big block in ntc3 rtr

ORIGINAL: big boater

NO!

Too much torque, too much power, too much size!

Actually I don't know for sure, but I would guess that unless you are into extreme drifting that it's just too much for the car. I would also doub that the drive train could take it for long.

Jim
Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 PM
big boater

what makes the tc3 and diffrent then the fustion 28 or the cen ctr 5.0 other then these cars have big blocks??? these are 1/10 onroad cars that have big blocks in them and these cars have belts not shafts. i dont see why the tc3 would not handle the power. im not saying that i no, i just dont see why it would not handle the power. im wandering if anybody makes engine mounts to fit a big block for the tc3.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it would physically fit without some major modification
Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 PM
nitrohead5300

...................Yes you can, it requires you to make your own engine mounts, find a .21 size onroad pipe that fits get some extra wide foam tires for the rear end . Here is a picture of my big block parking lot racer. I also used steel diff gears from a Ofna LD-2.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 PM
nitrohead5300

The motor in this Nitro TC-3 was a LRP .28 I also narrowed the rear end so I could get the tires to fit under the body. If you want more information on doing this look up this thread on this Website........" Nasty 1/10 scale onroad cars using .21 or larger engines . "
Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 AM
jikkuria

if you haven't bought the tc3 yet, you could always look at the ofna cd3. it's cheap and quality, it doesn't have a great stock motor, but the chassis is solid, and known to handle bb power well.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:59 AM
nitrohead5300

That is true!!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: jikkuria

if you haven't bought the tc3 yet, you could always look at the ofna cd3. it's cheap and quality, it doesn't have a great stock motor, but the chassis is solid, and known to handle bb power well.
Is the Ofna cd3 1/10 or 1/8 scale. I have been able to find much info on it but I did just see a youtube video of on e and it looked bigger than the 1/10 scale onroad car I have had.

I have been wanting to do a big block 1/10th scale onroad project. I had a tc3 but I didn't think there would be anyway to squeeze in a big block. I see now it can be done!!!!

Nitrohead... do you have any other pics of that car looking straight down on it? I would like to see the layout.
Thanks
Old 12-02-2009, 01:24 PM
nitrohead5300

Yakfish just check out the thread I told you about on this website . I believe it is on page 8 for "RC ON ROAD NITRO CARS " Look for the post of Brent Davis.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Brent Davis

Like nitrohead said, YES a big block will fit the NTC3, CD3 and the LD3 OFNA cars. I really like the NTC3 but the OFNA CD3 or LD3 are much cheaper and have steel pinion gears and will outlast the NTC3 plastic gears all day. I just took delivery of a new LD3 car and will be doing a big block to it as well.

N.E. ways, here a video of my NTC3 using a big block .21 and of course more vids can be seen on youtube under my username.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW03UZ41GtU
Old 12-02-2009, 05:48 PM
oneofakindtrini

One name on this Entire forum that you can ask about Big Block NTC3's and its Brent Davis.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: oneofakindtrini

One name on this Entire forum that you can ask about Big Block NTC3's and its Brent Davis.

Thanks man. I think he has the information needed now. It is a fun car with that big motor in it too.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:36 PM
nitrohead5300

Big Boater what do you intend on doing with your car Drag Racing, or Road Racing?? Another good motor you may want to take a look at is the OS .18TZ . At the ISC speed Chanmpionships a guy set a 1/10 4wd class record with a stock .18TZ @ 89mph. This motor gives you a good bang for your buck.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:12 AM
big boater

well what im trying to do is ether buy a big block car or make one. the resone im asking about the tc3 is iv had 2 of these cars in the past and like them plus i like the fact that the tc3 is shaft driven and no belts.

i want a very fast car and yes i will be draging the car and yes i no you dont need the fastest but i want the fastest car i can get or biuld.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:16 PM
nitrohead5300

well what im trying to do is ether buy a big block car or make one. the resone im asking about the tc3 is iv had 2 of these cars in the past and like them plus i like the fact that the tc3 is shaft driven and no belts.

i want a very fast car and yes i will be draging the car and yes i no you dont need the fastest but i want the fastest car i can get or biuld.
.....................Since your cars are mostly gonna be drag racing I would go with a Nova Rossi .21 modified talk to Mr. Davis he will tell you how to build a drag car!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: nitrohead5300
.....................Since your cars are mostly gonna be drag racing I would go with a Nova Rossi .21 modified talk to Mr. Davis he will tell you how to build a drag car!!!
Thanks Nitrohead.

For starters and like Nitrohead mentioned, you will want to use a modified engine that cost more than the car......lol.

In that video you saw, I was using some 1/8th scale wheel/tires but those aren't necessary to use for drag racing anymore since the Kawahara tires can handle the power output of a big .21 and so can standard 1/10th scale foams BUT that is a whole different challenge to deal with on using those since the shocks and springs are Mugen's and cost alot.

One of the cheapest but baddest economic engines is the Kangaroo. They are about $385+ unmodified but at about $485 modified and you've got a serious engine that will put out the power needed to be the baddest on the block. Then there's the $650 JP modified R03 or the R07 engines too.

Like I have already said and nitrohead posted as well, "IF" you are going to use the NTC3, then you will have to buy the OFNA LD3 rear diff case assembly since it has steel diff gears. The plastic ones from the NTC3 will bust over time like this on did on me.

Here's a few other shots of my old NTC3.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:13 PM
yakfish

What is the opinion of the OS 21 Vspec engine? how does it perform in these little cars for drag racing/ high speed? I have been reading through the "nasty 1/10 onroad thread" the last couple days and I haven't seen much if anything about this engine. I always thought it was one of the upper level engines. you mostly see them in buggys and truggys but with 40K rpm I would think it would scream in one of these onroads. I have one with 1/2 a gallon on it coming in the mail next week in a truggy but I may use it for a high speed onroad project. this thread has the ideas in my head going nuts!!!

BTW: I have my eyes open for a roller CD3 now thanks to you guys
Old 12-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Brent Davis

Use that engine since you have it. No need to get anything new until you see where you are at. I will add though that NOTHING OS or Picco makes can compete with these Kangaroos, JP's, Xenon's in my neck of the woods. We've got guys running low 1.6's with Kangaroos, RB C-4's and Xenon's whereas the Picco P9R's, OS .21 VZ-R's are at best 1.85 or slower. When you are taling 2 tenths, that is a TON in a 132' drag race. So at least try it and see what you got.

The CD3 roller will be a great candidate as well. I've got a few of those too with .21 big blocks in them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D07oJU6yBs
Old 12-03-2009, 03:00 PM
nitrohead5300

It has been fun Brent looking at the 1/10 scale cars I had almost forgotten how fast my V1RRR was until I took it out for a spin the other day Dam that car is fast I should get the .18TZ Modified by ABMods but my wife just purchased me a modified 27cc Davis motor for Christmas and she promised to have a Reed conversion done to it too sooooooooo I think I better cool it for a while on modifications to my TZ .18 Here is my lastest project Brent , a 2 speed for my 1/5 scale MCD
Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 PM
nitrohead5300

Good luck with your big block projects men!! Good luck racing for next season Brent!! Back to the lab for me so I can finish my monster project!!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: Brent Davis

Use that engine since you have it. No need to get anything new until you see where you are at. I will add though that NOTHING OS or Picco makes can compete with these Kangaroos, JP's, Xenon's in my neck of the woods. We've got guys running low 1.6's with Kangaroos, RB C-4's and Xenon's whereas the Picco P9R's, OS .21 VZ-R's are at best 1.85 or slower. When you are taling 2 tenths, that is a TON in a 132' drag race. So at least try it and see what you got.

The CD3 roller will be a great candidate as well. I've got a few of those too with .21 big blocks in them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D07oJU6yBs
Brent your CD3 rips!! I saw that video a couple days ago. After somone one here recomended the CD3 as a good candidate for a big block conversion I searched youtube and came across that video. I didn't realize it was yours.

do you know if the CD3 is available anywhere for sale new? Or even used? I have done some searching online for one and haven't been able to find any for sale new or used. not even on ebay.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: yakfish
Brent your CD3 rips!! I saw that video a couple days ago. After somone one here recomended the CD3 as a good candidate for a big block conversion I searched youtube and came across that video. I didn't realize it was yours.

do you know if the CD3 is available anywhere for sale new? Or even used? I have done some searching online for one and haven't been able to find any for sale new or used. not even on ebay.
Thanks yakfish.

Unfortunately man the OFNA CD3 is not made anymore nor is the LD3. Those two cars were and still very good candidates for any small-block or big block engines. I understand that the sales of certain cars is what dictates if a company keeps producing a car or not. It is sad but true that there are not anymore of them around. What you can do is basically build the car with the parts that are still being sold though. You can still get EVERY part needed to build one but at that point your better option just may be buying a NTC3 and purchasing the steel gearset and diff cases from a LD3 and installing those.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: nitrohead5300
It has been fun Brent looking at the 1/10 scale cars I had almost forgotten how fast my V1RRR was until I took it out for a spin the other day Dam that car is fast I should get the .18TZ Modified by ABMods but my wife just purchased me a modified 27cc Davis motor for Christmas and she promised to have a Reed conversion done to it too sooooooooo I think I better cool it for a while on modifications to my TZ .18 Here is my lastest project Brent , a 2 speed for my 1/5 scale MCD

Thanks nitrohead. I "SHOULD" be a force to reckon with this 2010 race season. With all of my revamped RBmods killer engines, we've shown serious power increases and even two of my best friends won the 2009 IMDRA Funny Car/Por-Mod Championship using RBmods power with both a Kangaroo and Cordoba. They won 7 races in a row as well[X(]. We share data on the tune ups and keep tons of notes on weather, tires, track conditions, etc. This is where it is at rather than just street bashing and not really having to TUNE the car clutch, etc. We've began to seperate ourselves from the other racers with custom RBmods dual plug head buttons, custom aluminum centex clutch pads with cooling slots, titanium con-rods with a hydra-foil design, custom built domed pistons for more compression, aluminum crankshafts (for DRAG racing ONLY) and other items that Rick makes for us. Rick has some more things that we are going to try with a newly designed aluminum sleeve that he has made with boost port locations and port sizes. The real plan is to be one of the first with a Pro-Mod to run in the 1.5's if the tracks can handle the power.

Here's an engine Rick built that is making so much power that it keeps breaking belts on the car. It has made a half azz pass of 1.71@72 MPH and will without a doubt run low 1.6's or perhaps 1.5's with the new shaft chassis that I am building.

Your new 1/5 scale stuff looks interesting though. I guess it is just all the same when you think about it though.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:05 AM
nitrohead5300

Brent you know I am retired now, I am like a kid in a candy store!!! That is a wicked motor you have there is that a K&B engine block you are using?? Sounds like you have the high tech materials you need to dominate !! My big block nitro tc-3 is still running The car is almost bulletproof . Too bad OFNA have discontinued their LD & CD cars.[&o]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.