Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

HPI nitro Rs4 Evo 3 + question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 05:42 PM
NitroNewbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI nitro Rs4 Evo 3 + question

New to the nitro rc car hobby and new to the site. I just received my nitro rs4 evo 3 in the mail today and got everything ready to get it broke in. I let it run through a whole tank and when I went to drive it in the circles that hpi recommended It would run and then shut off, so I called my local hobby shop where they work on these and the guy helped me out with the tuning part but must not of heard me when I said I haven't broke it in all of the way yet.. When he was tuning it he was running it at full throttle till he got it right and said that it wouldn't hurt it to just go home and do the rest of the break in... while I was there he installed a new tuned pipe and I left...I came home to start it back up and it wont start don't know if my roto start just isn't charged all of the way or what, but when I go to crank it over it will crank and then come to a stop and wont turn anymore.... Any help would be appreciated

Adam
Old 03-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Anthoop

If the roto start battery is not fully charged that maybe the problem.
If the engine is flooding that maybe the problem.
If the engine is tight (piston/sleeve fit) and the engine is cold that maybe the problem.

Charge roto battery fully.
Remove glow plug and rotate engine with the roto whilst holding the car upside down...refit glow plug.
Warm engine with heat gun/hair dryer.
Prime engine by rotating engine with roto whilst holding finger on exhaust pipe end.....watch fuel rising through the pipe to the carb...when it gets there...and a lil bit...stop.
Turn transmitter on then receiver on...attach glow starter....rotate engine with roto....if it still struggles to turn over then loosen glow plug.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:33 AM
NitroNewbe

Thank you I did that this morning and put in the spare glow plug hpi shipped and i was still haveing trouble so i took it to the hobby shop again and had a pull start put on..come to find out the extra glow plug they sent was bad so I bought another brought it home warmed it up with a hairdryer and she cranked ...

Now I'm haveing trouble tuning it ...when the car starts it wants to go on it own without me pressing the throttle...I returned both needles to factory setting but then it won't run. I'm becomeing very frustrated
Old 03-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Car-Tune

The car waning to take off in you has nothing to do with the needles. It's the throttle stop screw, it's too wide open.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:32 PM
NitroNewbe

How do I adjust that
Old 03-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Car-Tune

It's a screw that's by the intake. It's a small screw with a spring over it
Old 03-23-2014, 01:48 PM
NitroNewbe

O ok ill turn it back some I'm just confused on how to tune the carb I have alot of oil comeing out of the exhaust..I did something wrong
Old 03-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Car-Tune

Lean it
Old 03-23-2014, 02:18 PM
NitroNewbe

Yeah I have tried that now it won't start at all I give up I'm feeling like an idiot especially if I have to take it back to the hobby store a third time
Old 03-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Anthoop

New engines can be a pain even for experienced people....stick with it and try to learn how to fix it yourself without asking the shop to do it for you. If the shop can fix it in front of you and give tips/knowledge then that can be helpful...other than that read as much as you can and watch videos.

Pullstarts- Never pull the cord out fully when trying to start, use short pulls. Never yank/tug the cord with force, always warm the engine and loosen glow plug if necessary.

Set the mixture settings to what the manual suggest for break in...ensure roto and glow stick are fully charged (check also glow plug is glowing)...warm engine....prime...go.
Once running then keep it running and keep it running on the rich side....if the revs are high then it could be that the throttle is open too far or the mixture is lean...if you reduce the throttle and the engine dies then it is too lean.
The more fuel you run through it then the easier things will get.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:02 AM
NitroNewbe

Originally Posted by Anthoop
New engines can be a pain even for experienced people....stick with it and try to learn how to fix it yourself without asking the shop to do it for you. If the shop can fix it in front of you and give tips/knowledge then that can be helpful...other than that read as much as you can and watch videos.

Pullstarts- Never pull the cord out fully when trying to start, use short pulls. Never yank/tug the cord with force, always warm the engine and loosen glow plug if necessary.

Set the mixture settings to what the manual suggest for break in...ensure roto and glow stick are fully charged (check also glow plug is glowing)...warm engine....prime...go.
Once running then keep it running and keep it running on the rich side....if the revs are high then it could be that the throttle is open too far or the mixture is lean...if you reduce the throttle and the engine dies then it is too lean.
The more fuel you run through it then the easier things will get.
When u say throttle is open to far how do I adjust that ? With the trim knob or manually
Old 03-24-2014, 07:16 AM
Car-Tune

Youll need a small flathead screwdriver, its the small flathead screw under the carb
Old 03-24-2014, 07:18 AM
NitroNewbe

So the idle screw
Old 03-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Car-Tune

Yes
Old 04-02-2014, 01:31 PM
roadrunner ss

i will like to know can u use the rs4 3 shocks on the rs4 2