Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Hpi rs4 clutch issue

Old 04-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Racnakd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpi rs4 clutch issue

Hey everyone. This is m first post. I'm getting back into the hobby after about 10 years. I picked up a used rs4 Evo 3 with a few engines. The t15 engine I was able to get running and the clutch I have isn't the stock clutch. It a 2 piece with the retaining spring. It has 3 holes on both shoes. I don't know the proper holes to put it in.
My issue is that when the rpms are low I get a metal clunking sound and the engine stops or wants to stop. I don't get that when the engine is revved up a bit. Is this due to my hole placement with the shoes.
excuse me for not knowing all the terminology yet. Been a long time and I'm reading as much as possible to learn.
Thank you in advance for any info.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:23 AM
Racnakd

The clutch is pretty new. Can it be that the spring and shoes still new to break in a little bit.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Anthoop

Have you got the shoes the correct way around?...Engine rotates anti-clockwise when viewed from front and the shoe pivot should be "at the front"- picture below.
Other than that make sure the clutch bearings are ok and the clutch bell has a small amount of in/out play.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02173.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1990748  

Last edited by Anthoop; 04-28-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Racnakd

Originally Posted by Anthoop
Have you got the shoes the correct way around?...Engine rotates anti-clockwise when viewed from front and the shoe pivot should be "at the front"- picture below.
Other than that make sure the clutch bearings are ok and the clutch bell has a small amount of in/out play.
Thank you. That is exactly what I did. Looked at it wrong I guess. I fixed it last night and was finally able to get it going today and it didn't make any noises.

Thanks for the advise.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:33 AM
Anthoop

Good stuff..have fun.