Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

ntc3 + O.S. 18tz = ?

Old 03-10-2005, 08:12 AM
kevin107
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ntc3 + O.S. 18tz = ?

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, but not r/c in general. I was wondering what kind of performance I can expect from the combo in the title. It would be a stock ntc3 kit version, w/ 2 speed. Would this engine be a good setup for the car, or will it get me into trouble (too much power) or something? I'm not very familiar with nitro touring cars and their capabilities. My friend just got a HPI rs4 type 3 18SS, and I am looking to compete with him. Just banging around the HS parking lot really, but I would like something as fast, if not faster than that rs4. Will this engine fit the bill? Any suggestions, comments relative to either car, engine, or tc's in general would be of great help. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Saboteur10573

Default RE: ntc3 + O.S. 18tz = ?

It's good for drag racing, but the car is a real handful especially at low-mid end speeds. I suggest you get somthing more tame like a OS .12TR for a bit more power, the OS .18cvrx.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Josh222

well the TZ has 2.3HPamost 1hp more than 18SS, it might make 1.4hp with the RS4 3 18SS, A CVR18 will be a about the same or abit faster than the 18SS, CVR18 makes about 1.5hp and goes for 90 bucks
Old 03-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Saboteur10573

I'd say definately go .18cvr. TZ will give you too much wheel spin. The other car will win.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:51 PM
kevin107

Thanks for the replies so far guys! Your guidance is much appreciated. If this engine might not be suited well for this car, which engines would? (other than the OS18cvr) I'm looking to explore a lot of options before commiting to a purchase. Is the wasp .18 a good engine? Like I said before, I really want to be able to hang w/, if not toast that 18SS car. My budget is $200. If I only have to spend $100 to get a solid engine that will be competitive in our bashing, thats fine by me; but I have no problem with investing in a high quality engine that will last me a while. Also, whats your guys opinions on .18 vs .12? You think since I'm not racing this officially, it'd be worth my wild to get a .18, or does a .12 offer any benefits or? Sorry for all the questions. I'm just looking for the right setup. Thanks!!
Old 03-10-2005, 06:59 PM
8ball

The .12 would be a good idea if you are planning on racing formally because the NTC3 is a very solid racer. If you are just bashing, go for the .18 CV-R. OS makes very good motors that will last a while. I have a .12 CV-R in my GT and it has more power than I need. I couldn't imagine the power of the .18 CV-R. I know from real racing experience there is such thing as too much power which would definatley be a problem with the TZ. If all you do is sit there and spin the tires, you will never win a race. With more power you will also run into drivetrain issues and excessive tire wear. Definatley go with the .18 CV-R. You won't regret it.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:57 PM
HPIFAN

although I have the OS 18 on my RS4 EVO, the Epic 18 is also nice but it doesn't make quite as much power.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:31 PM
TehArrow

have you tried the engine man? it is controllable..... and fast...
Old 03-11-2005, 12:35 AM
kwong2001

An 18tz will work fine in a ntc3. Make sure to get some foam tires and get the 48/27 gear combo and you'll be set.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Saboteur10573

TZ is way to powerful. You'll get owned by something less powerful running around a few cones even. Foams won't help either. They dont hook up just anywhere. Better luck is to back the CVR for $90 and spend the other $90 on a pipe and xtra plugs. Thats the better way to shop IMO.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:45 AM
vdubnut

ORIGINAL: Saboteur10573

TZ is way to powerful. You'll get owned by something less powerful running around a few cones even. Foams won't help either. They dont hook up just anywhere. Better luck is to back the CVR for $90 and spend the other $90 on a pipe and xtra plugs. Thats the better way to shop IMO.
I am getting (Tomorrow/Friday) a Super RS4... so it's a bit bigger than a standard RS4's... it has already been upgraded with a 2sp.. would you also recommend the .18 cvr for that chassis? and being a noobie to nitro cars... who makes the CVR motor and where to get it? I have heard enough to know the .15FE us a gutless turd, and I haven't even driven it yet...lol

Kwong2001... i just realized you are down in Fed Way... only about 15 minutes from me... we should hook up some time and do some "bashing" .
Old 03-11-2005, 03:30 AM
kwong2001

An 18tz isn't for handling. A full race setup would beat it in a road course. But foam tires grip 10x better than any rubber tire if you've got the right surface. I haven't bought rubber tires in over a 2 years simply because I can't stand their lack of grip.

ORIGINAL: vdubnut
Kwong2001... i just realized you are down in Fed Way... only about 15 minutes from me... we should hook up some time and do some "bashing" .
lol, well it better be in the next few days, i'm selling all my r/c's to pay for my 1:1 hobby
Old 03-11-2005, 04:04 AM
vdubnut

lol, well it better be in the next few days, i'm selling all my r/c's to pay for my 1:1 hobby
that sucks... I may have some time on Saturday or Sunday... it'd be nice to have someone with some experience look over my new car and help me understand everything fully... without just talking about it at the LHS... by the way, what shop do you usually go to? I have been going to Ultimate in Auburn, and NWHobbies in Bellevue/Redmond... and another one one time up in Issaquah... wher do you go for parts? hopefully one that stocks HPI parts
Old 03-11-2005, 04:27 AM
kwong2001

Goto fantasy world toy and hobby in Tacoma, they keep a nice stock of parts and the people aren't half bad. There's also hobby town usa in tukwila, raincity raceway in lynnwood, and galaxy hobbies in lynnwood. I wouldn't goto ultimate for anything that's car related. They never keep parts stocked, much less have them in order.

If you're free tomorrow we could meet up and have a short bash. I get out of school at 11am, so anytime after that.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:32 AM
vdubnut

Well I won't get it in the mail until 3pm... and I have to work til 6... then I'm heading up to my friend's house in Bothell for some messing around and drinking beer... (maybe not a good combo... I may have to re-think that) but Saturday Morning I'm free to do whatever til about 3:00 or so... then Sunday I'll be up on Auburn's west hill at 4:00 but I am free up til then. Where do you usually run your car?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:36 AM
kwong2001

Normally I just run right in front of my house. It's the only smooth surface that's decent for my ntc3. When i had my savage running i'd goto two different places that were no more than 10 minutes from my house.

We could meet up saturday morning. What HPI car do you have?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:39 AM
vdubnut

I got the Super RS4... came with a 2sp, 3 bodies, 4 sets of rims, 3 that have tires, and some other misc stuff... upgraded steering servo... glow plug warmers... bought it off ebay pretty cheap.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:01 AM
TehArrow

i cant help but think that you are just jealous of the engine or somthing, HAVE YOU TRIED IT IN A TC3?????? because i have......i own one. ive been running it on the crappy stock rubbers on an unprepped salt and pebble covered surface and i have not experienced any of the stuff you talk about... so im sorry to knock down your thoery. sure a newb will be likely to mash the throttle, but you learn pretty fast you cant. if i remeber correctly the engine is only like 15 grams heavier then some .12's and the car seems to be still pretty balanced (without fuel the car still wants to lean towards the servo side).

in my opinion its the perfect engine for a basher who wants speed. you dont go racing with a .18 anyways and if you do your competition will probly be other .18's
Old 03-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Saboteur10573

ORIGINAL: TehArrow

i cant help but think that you are just jealous of the engine or somthing, HAVE YOU TRIED IT IN A TC3?????? because i have......i own one. ive been running it on the crappy stock rubbers on an unprepped salt and pebble covered surface and i have not experienced any of the stuff you talk about... so im sorry to knock down your thoery. sure a newb will be likely to mash the throttle, but you learn pretty fast you cant. if i remeber correctly the engine is only like 15 grams heavier then some .12's and the car seems to be still pretty balanced (without fuel the car still wants to lean towards the servo side).

in my opinion its the perfect engine for a basher who wants speed. you dont go racing with a .18 anyways and if you do your competition will probly be other .18's
Hah. We've tried it in Serpents, NTC3s, R40s, and other cars. I didnt make a theory. The engines weight has nothing to do with it nor handling. Just tossing foams on a car doesn't boost handling either without a good setup and buying the right compound. Not all places are great for foams and we all don't have the best asphalt/concrete conditions. It was done testing with a few drags around the track. If you raced nitro onroad like I did, you'd know even for messing around you'd get owned by something less powerful. It's not about mashing the throttle either. The TZ has a strong powerband in the lower to mid section where you'll even slide out from standing position so for that "Let me try pressing the trigger lightly thing" forget about it. Also if you noticed the NTC3 being shaft has a bit more punch that a belt. Either way, it was too powerful for belt or shaft. Come to my home track, like a few newbs did with their TZs in their onroads and they were put to shame with RB V12 3 ports, NS12s, and everything else. For messin around it's cool, but my point is that it would suck to constantly keep pulling 360s. In my time I faced too many newbs who lacked info about the hobby. The things I heard from them was worth a conversation with at the LHS...who's been makin a ton of money off them, because they were told to get the wrong things, or bought something they'd "benefit" from. Just to prove my point, I have a vid of an R40 with Wasp .12 Turbo vs a Serpent 705 w/ OS .18TZ. The R40 was about a foot behind after lined up for a drag on the straight, but on the turns and infield it smoked that Serpent. He even lapped the car later on. This is just for parkinglot bashing too.

vdubnut- OS makes the .18CVR, .18TM (for Tmaxx) and .18TZ. You can look at em here ---> www.osengines.com. Since the Super nitro is bigger, it does need a good engine with enough torque to get it moving. The .18cvr is there for that. It has enough RPM and HP to get it screaming. Set up the gear mesh between the two speed properly otherwise you can strip either gear. Which 2speed do you have? As far as I remember, my buddies only used the single gear since the 2speed cam styles for the SN always shifted too hard and that kinda made the car a bit unstable and or resulted in ruined gears. Try it out though and see how she runs.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:21 AM
vdubnut

I dunno.. the car arrives today... but here is a couple pics... you tell me. I assume it's the one in the parts list at towerhobbies.com.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62949.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	242165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24361.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	242166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48238.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	242167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72065.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	242168  
Old 03-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Saboteur10573

Cool. Well the car is wider than your average 200mm. Set it up right and it can handle better. Here's the problem. The stock SN isn't ment to handle such high HP which is why I stressed the idea of not buying the .18TZ. Others here (they know who they are) want to piss and moan about what I say, but I'm just looking out for you. First, you'd need to upgrade quite a few parts on the SN if you do want to put the TZ in there. (And) when I mean quite a bit, I mean a bit. My friend Toyotatogo already has one in his ride and he will tell you about his experience with it. Rubber tires are a no no with it. They'll rip right off. Foams help to a certain extent, but not all the time. I'll give you his email addy so you can talk to him directly, because honestly it's hard for people like you to find good help around here.

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...80#post1707780

Here's a quick link.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:02 PM
TehArrow

Cool. Well the car is wider than your average 200mm. Set it up right and it can handle better. Here's the problem. The stock SN isn't ment to handle such high HP which is why I stressed the idea of not buying the .18TZ. Others here (they know who they are) want to piss and moan about what I say, but I'm just looking out for you. First, you'd need to upgrade quite a few parts on the SN if you do want to put the TZ in there. (And) when I mean quite a bit, I mean a bit. My friend Toyotatogo already has one in his ride and he will tell you about his experience with it. Rubber tires are a no no with it. They'll rip right off. Foams help to a certain extent, but not all the time. I'll give you his email addy so you can talk to him directly, because honestly it's hard for people like you to find good help around here.

Here's a quick link.

we are talking about a ntc3 not a sn... hpi's onroad geartrains arent tough..... i wouldnt put a big engine in one either.....
Old 03-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Saboteur10573

I'm talking about Vdubs SN, not any other NTC3. . I'm done talking about the NTC3. He posted about the SN and my response was in a reply to his. We're off this thread as of now. [8D].
ORIGINAL: TehArrow

Here's a quick link.

we are talking about a ntc3 not a sn... hpi's onroad geartrains arent tough..... i wouldnt put a big engine in one either.....
Old 03-11-2005, 05:14 PM
kevin107

um.. right? I'm totally confused now. I want to order the car tonight, but now I'm REALLY not sure of which setup to go with. I need to decide which engine in order to order the proper car (pull start vs non pull).. Is there a performance difference between rear exhaust and side exhaust engines?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Saboteur10573

ORIGINAL: kevin107

um.. right? I'm totally confused now. I want to order the car tonight, but now I'm REALLY not sure of which setup to go with. I need to decide which engine in order to order the proper car (pull start vs non pull).. Is there a performance difference between rear exhaust and side exhaust engines?
It depends on porting and timing configuration. You have side exhaust engines that pump out as much or more than some .12 RE exhaust. The .18cvr is one of the few which is SE. See which setup you got (re or SE) and chose your engine from there. The RE kit won't work with a PS I think, but the SE kit can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.