ronan_patel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Old Kyosho landmax Super 8 Engine replacement

I recently got into the nitro rc stuff i'm only 16 years old but I have some questions that I hope you can answer. My father owned an old kyosho landmax super 8 and was wondering if I buy these brackets with model Numbers IF107, IF108, and IF109 if I can mount a newer engine like a OS 21XZ-B Spec II my only concern is that the newer engines have way moore hp than the original gs 21 that was in it and I have a feeling that if I get a newer engine it will wreck the spur gear. If i can't mount that os engine what should I get. PLEASE HELP MEE.....

Thanks for your help
Ronan
Old 06-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Anthoop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Ronan...and welcome to the forum.

Not sure I can be of much help to you..but I will try.

I do not know for sure those are the parts you need to mount a "normal" engine (as in an engine that mounts like most engines rather than the Kyosho idea)...I did some searching and only found that there are parts but I have no actual numbers. Searching the numbers you gave then yes, the first two look to be the mount modification and the third is a different flywheel (that you will need).

I can only guess that the transmission will be ok...I do not know.

I presume you are wanting to replace the engine because the old one is worn out? If so then the newer GX.21 has the same fitment...but even that is like the rocking horse poo now.

Finally, if you really want to fit a different engine in there then any machine shop will knock up some mounts for you if you have the car and engine....check price before giving the go ahead.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:46 AM
ronan_patel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

At my school we have a shop with tools i could even probably 3d print some mounts and also i looked in the manual for the super 8 and in the parts list it sates the part number that i gave was for os engines but not sure if the newer ones would fit i would expect os novarossi picco to change their mount over the years the funny thing is that my dad got this when i was born 16 years ago hahaha . If its possible could we skype and il let you see the car for a better look.

thanks
Ronan

Last edited by ronan_patel; 06-01-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Anthoop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I do not have Skype...but feel free to put as many pictures/information here as you like, I log in most days and if I can help I will try.

If those are the parts recommended in the manual for fitting an alternative engine then I can tell you that the newer engines also use the same mounting dimensions...not much has changed over the years.

I am not familiar with 3D printing but presume the material would not be strong enough.....If you have a metal working shop at school then it would be a nice little project....you have pictures available and with some measurements you could craft some mounts.

Last edited by Anthoop; 06-02-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:08 AM
ronan_patel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will post some pictures to show u
Old 06-02-2015, 10:58 AM
ronan_patel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	716
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	2100070   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	651
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	2100083   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	662
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	2100084   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	2100085   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	731
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	2100086   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	557
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	2100087   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	2100088   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	515
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	2100089  

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	544
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	2100090   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	605
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	2100091  
Old 06-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Anthoop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Body looks clean.....brought back memories of watching BTCC (British Touring Car Championship)...Rickard Rydell.

Is there anything wrong with the engine...other than I see the carb. boot missing...and a exhaust tie and air filter...maybe a strip down and clean up and it will live again?
Old 06-03-2015, 01:23 PM
ronan_patel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well the carb won't stay in place for some reason and i have cleaned it up don't know how to fix the carb i guess might as well get a new engine for more power because the old 1 is probably poo
Old 06-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Anthoop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can not quite see how the carb is meant to be held in place...I can only see one side...if you want to take more pictures of the bolt/screw and the carb out along with any other cotters/washers, then I might be able to see why it will not hold.

Of course the GS21 is never going to compete with a decent engine from today...but as said before "not much has changed over the years"...you could spend a lot of money on a decent engine for that car and then have a crash only to need parts that are very hard to find...personally I would try to resurrect what you have and see how it goes...if everything else is ok maybe then think about a newer engine...or maybe you will want a newer car.

Not trying to say...woah...but just my opinion.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:48 PM
ronan_patel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i see what u mean my pull start is crap and its broken but what i may do for the carb is just use some jb weld and seal it shut because there is not a screw head there so its possible that i can get it running but then again i could go buy a really nice engine and not face any more problems so il buy the engine and try to fix my gs21if my gs don't run i can always replace it because i already bought the mounts and flywheel for 30$ the only thing is that i'm worried that i'll strip my transmission
Old 06-10-2015, 09:47 PM
BOOCAKE4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hate to tell you this but the parts you mentioned (IF107, IF108, and IF109) are for the Landmax 2 (based on the MP 7.5 buggy). The car you have there is a Landmax 1 (based on the original Inferno buggy, though yours has had the radio tray modified to use the 7.5 radio box) and would need the following parts to mount a normal engine:

BS25 engine mounts
BSW22 or BSW57 flywheel/BSW58 or IFW54 SG clutch nut

Parts will generally be pretty hard to find and these older cars do need to be beefed up to handle the power of more modern engines (stronger steel ring and pinion instead of the aluminum ones, steel spur gear setup or 2 speed instead of the red plastic spur, additional spider gears in the diffs etc). Where are you located? I have a few GS21 engines in good shape and could make you a good deal on a complete engine (or parts) or you might be able to find a nice one on ebay or similar. As Anthoop mentioned, Kyosho used this mounting system until fairly recently with most of the RTR cars

I have a copy of the manual here: http://kyosho.org/gp20/Reference/LM1manual.zip

p.s. The Volvo S40 body you have is pretty rare, take good care of it.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by BOOCAKE4U; 06-10-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Anthoop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good stuff BooCake...hopefully Ronan will get it up and going again in some shape or form...at least you are familiar with it.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:57 PM
BOOCAKE4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad to help out, I'm a huge fan of the Landmax and Super 8 series and have more of them than I care to admit.

Note for Ronan I forgot to mention the other night, the carb on the GS-21 is retained by the screw you mentioned, which just needs a regular old locknut on the end that protrudes from the case. (See pic)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eng04-small.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	2102139  
Old 06-14-2015, 07:02 PM
ronan_patel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it would be helpful if you can help me find all the parts to get a modern engine in this car. this car is something that my father bought when i was born and it means alot to me so please help me get it runnen if not the only thing i can do is put it back on the wall for display
Old 06-18-2015, 01:13 PM
ronan_patel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Say if i do find the mounting hardware if i just use the 2 speed will it sove all my other problems of upgradeing
Old 06-29-2015, 06:28 AM
BOOCAKE4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Ronan,

The two speed (part GT-30) is hard to find for these cars, and the replacement spur gears (GT-25) are even harder. I came up with a solution using modern parts from the Landmax 2/Inferno GT two speed that I will show you later. The diffs really need to be improved when you upgrade the engine as the ring and pinion gears are weak alumin(i)um as supplied by Kyosho. These are the parts you want for that:

BS-14 - cast steel ring and pinion (one of each per set)
OR
BSW-1 - machined steel pinion gear
BSW-2 - machined steel ring gear

You see a lot of BSW-2s on ebay, but BSW-1 is a lot harder to find. Also, if you can find a Turbo Inferno to use as a parts car, it will have a lot of usable parts including the steel ring and pinions, steel spur gear and a nice countersunk 3mm chassis (BSW-60). You can recognize these by the fact that they will always have the blue chassis (not silver), front universals and the steel spur (and typically the neon green wheels and wing).

Also helpful for rebuilding and improving diffs:

BS-107 bevel gear shafts - need one package, these are still made (and used in the 7.5/777 based cars)
BS-37 large bevel gears - 2 per package, you need one package per diff, still available
BS-36 small bevel gears - 2 per package, you want two packages per diff, still available as BS-36 or as IF223
BS-41 - allows you to mount BSW1/2 or BS-14, you need two pieces, still available
IF-30 Diff gaskets, so you can use silicone fluid to tune the diffs, need one package, easily available

Last edited by BOOCAKE4U; 06-29-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:47 PM
ronan_patel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the quick reply i will try to buy these parts immediately

Last edited by ronan_patel; 06-29-2015 at 03:57 PM.