Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Polishing Piston/Sleeve Before Break-In

Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Polishing Piston/Sleeve Before Break-In

Old 09-28-2015, 08:18 AM
TboltBeardie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing Piston/Sleeve Before Break-In

I am rebuilding the engine in my AE NTC3. I have aircraft grade sandpaper going up to 12000 grit at my disposal. This stuff is capable of polishing metal to a literal mirror finish. I would like to know whether polishing the piston and/or sleeve prior to break-in would be a good idea, or is the chrome plating on the sleeve too thin to do so? The sandpaper doesn't remove enough material to register a difference when measured with a micrometer or a high-end dial indicator, so I don't see any risk of affecting the contour or dimensions of the bore.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:40 AM
Anthoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you want to do this...what are you looking to achieve?

Of course you know that the liner/sleeve is tapered and the "seal" for compression/combustion is attained by the fit between the piston and liner......
When the piston/liner are manufactured they are made to certain dimensions....however they are never exactly correct.....so everything is made within manufacturing tolerances.....and then (generally) parts are matched up to provide a piton/liner fit that is appropriate, not too tight/loose.

When you break the engine in then the piston/liner will wear so that they fit nicely together...of course the exhaust side of the engine gets hotter than the inlet side so you have different expansion rates....and the piston/liner are manufactured round (within tolerance).

Not only that, the honing/machining process leaves grooves in the piston/liner....these grooves retain oil...
Also, whilst a really fine paper may not remove much material....you would not get a mirror finish on the piston/liner without removing a lot of material....

So....basically...no...do not touch the side of the piston or the inside of the liner with any flatting paper.

There are ways to speed up the break-in process if that is what you were hoping to achieve but I have never used such methods.