Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Lowrider Truck Idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 06:23 PM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowrider Truck Idea

If I ever finish all these projects I'll be surprised but I've been thinking about this one for awhile...a slammed,scrapin the ground truck with a air ride suspension system.The Slammed Shady truck was really cool and I have a friend who's into the full size ones and it would just be cool to have sittin around.I found some parts today that would make it alot easier than I thought but at $15 each cylinder theres $60 for all 4.Its a small threaded body single acting air cylinder with 6-32 threaded rod ends and a stroke thats maybe half an inch...they'd almost be a perfect replacement for stock shocks.Using CO2 cartridges and some BB gun parts I bet you could lay the frame on the ground real quick with a 3rd channel and it'd be pretty realistic sounding probably compared to "bags" on a real mini truck.

I was looking in a big catalog but the part number is 6604K11 from McMaster-Carr Supply Company
http://www.mcmaster.com/
Old 12-03-2003, 06:49 PM
knotteboi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lowrider Truck Idea

That is an awesome idea! The only problem is the Co2 might have too much compression and pop the bags or something...
If you made this you could patent it :P I would buy it for my car...

[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 12-03-2003, 11:41 PM
PitStops
My Feedback: (1)

Galaxy,

What is sick is that we were just talking about the very same type of thing at the shop the other day
I have a TL-01 chassis I volunteered up for the project, but we were talkign about using servos to control the up and down motion.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:58 AM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about the servo thing,like maybe use a servo arm as a cam to lift the car by pushing on the suspension arms but thats 4 servos and mounts to get in the way of everything so I kinda decided against it.These little air cylinders seem about the same size as a shock and with the end of the shaft being 6-32 you could tap the plastic and screw the ball link/cup right on to the end of it and all you would have to actually make is the shock/cylinder mounts or towers.There wouldn't be any bags to pop but those cylinders can't handle much more than 5 PSI I believe so you'd have to have a flow control to make sure you didn't blow the seals on em....also,with the BB gun trigger parts,they only allow the CO2 to escape for just a second (if that) and it might be just enough air to pressurize the cylinders.If it was too much pressure with that "pop" of CO2 a type of blow off/exhaust valve might be needed to allow extra air to escape and not blow the seals.I thought about CO2 because mini 12V compressors that would fit are over $300 and you'd still have to have a tank to hold the compressed air,and 12 V...The CO2 Cartridge would take care of all of that.I'm thinkin for $100 you could get the 4 cylinders,tubing,a BB gun for parts,and some CO2 cartridges.....then you'd have to play with it all and get creative.They also make double action cylinders and you could get real complicated and make it hop if you wanted to...I just want to be able to hit a switch and slam the truck on the ground with a cool "POP" sound.

I saw a video the other day of this truck...he had the frame layin on the gound and he lit the tires up..big ass burnout but it couldn't move cuz the truck was on the ground...then he put a lil pressure in the bags and raised it up just enough to slowly take off in a huge cloud of smoke.If I made the truck it would be rear wheel drive only for realism and so I could do that
Old 05-09-2005, 08:57 PM
nitroussavage

good ideacim gonna finish it i have it almost done
Old 05-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Cummins

I like your thinking GALAXY, it's you kind of people which keep this hooby alive. Good luck and remeber, the crayer the better!

Chris