Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

foam tires wearing unevenly

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 08:23 PM
fastcrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foam tires wearing unevenly

if there any way to get my front tires to wear as fast as my rears, there isnt that wuch weight i can transfer to the front, and adding more weight isnt an option, any ideas?---chris
Old 08-23-2004, 02:18 AM
vwcalbug
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: foam tires wearing unevenly

can't you rotate them?? So just don't hit the throttle so fast, be gentle, don't spin the rears (thats what causes them to wear). If your just going to bash, just use rubbers. Foams aren't made to handle that. - Justin
Old 08-23-2004, 07:49 PM
fastcrash

well, i cant rotate them cuz the fronts are 26mm and the rear are 30mm. also, they are different shore ratings, 45front and 40rear.and my car is almost exclusively on the track, i dont bash anymore, i did it for years and i had to move on, my driving skills were no longer improving. but thanks for the ideas.-------chris
Old 08-24-2004, 03:18 AM
vwcalbug

don't you want softer upfront?? (tires) Have you tried running a stiffer shore tire on the rears? Would it affect your handling for your track that much?? Im just throwing ideas out. How fast are we talking this wear is? - Justin
Old 08-24-2004, 10:16 AM
R40Victim

Hey man, I go through a set of rear tires nearly every weekend. That's roughly 1 hour of driving time, broken up into 5 minute heats, lots of practice and dialing in, and a 15 minute main. I count myself lucky if they don't get chunked(pieces torn off) before the end of raceday...
Old 08-24-2004, 02:25 PM
7speed

I don't think there is a way to have them wear evenly due to the weight transfer of the car, and the weight diff. front to back.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:00 PM
fastcrash

look at the pros,like hara, his foams are almost even after the 15 minute a main at the worlds! theres gotta be a way.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:19 PM
dg2b

ORIGINAL: fastcrash

if there any way to get my front tires to wear as fast as my rears, there isnt that wuch weight i can transfer to the front, and adding more weight isnt an option, any ideas?---chris
Is your front underdriven (as in under drive through gearing)? What type of car. Have you considered truing the tire?
Old 08-24-2004, 04:35 PM
R40Victim

It could also just be in the driving technique. I've ended races, in wich I took it a little easier, and the rears weren't nearly as worn... Do you drive "point and shoot", basically slinging it around corners with a loose rear end, and powering out? That'll tear rears up in an afternoon...
Old 08-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Hpi_mt2

you can get this machine for foam tires that can cut your foam off and make the tires race ready i saw it off of inside rc on oln
Old 08-25-2004, 10:16 AM
R40Victim

It's called a tire truer. Our team just ordered one, should be here in a few days. I have a huge bag full of wheels, ready to be re-trued...
Old 08-25-2004, 10:43 AM
dg2b

ORIGINAL: R40Victim

It's called a tire truer. Our team just ordered one, should be here in a few days. I have a huge bag full of wheels, ready to be re-trued...
R40Victim - hope your team ordered the automatic one. I use the cobra trackside and wish I have something that is automatic and can put an offset during truing. I normally true my front tires a bit lower than the back to give it an overdrive when I am not overdriving through pulleys.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:17 PM
fastcrash

im too poor for a tire truer, i probably do point and shoot too much,and since my lhs has to tear the track down after the race on sat. i dont get much test and tune and practice time. i guess all of those reasons add up to uneven tire wear---------chris
Old 08-26-2004, 09:41 AM
R40Victim

Nope, he got the regular version, no biggy, it'll prolly keep us busy in the workshop for a while.

If you wanna make those rears last longer, try slowing down. Don't enter a corner so fast. Start by trying to make the shortest "line" through the track, and then gradually pick up speed. It sounds, and will feel kinda silly at first. But after doing that for a day, and really learning where you can push it and get away with it, I promise you'll pick up a second or two. Sounds funny, but sometimes slower is faster. I used to beat a bunch of guys with my old RS4 Racer 2, with and HPI 15 fe, slow as H*^##, but I was able to hang it through the curves, in wich they would over shoot. They would overtake me on the straightway, but they had to catch up first...

Focus on not letting your traction go, and once you get it dialed in, it'll feel like it's on rails.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:30 AM
dbow

If you are running a softer tire in the rear then it is going to wear down a lot faster than the front no matter what you do. Most racers run extreme toe in for the rear which scrubs rubber, lighter shock oil, sping etc. you get the idea.
All this to get better traction in the rear and a little push in the front. I raced for years and always ran a softer shore in the rear, I would run one set of fronts for 2 sets of rears. I dont race anymore but hit the track every once in a while to play around, I recently began running the same shore for front and rear. I have reduced the wear in the rear obviously but I have lost that perfect hooked up feeling with the softer rears, which I really dont need anymore since I am not racing.

I do not think there was anyone in the club I was racing with that did not experience this problem, 70 racers or so and it was the norm. 1/8th scale guys had issues as well but most of them used a truer for those big donuts. I do not think it is really needed for the 200mm cars.

Dbow
Old 08-27-2004, 06:21 AM
Tweedybird

yeah I was going to pick up the newest Hudy Truer model which I believe is automatic and can be set to different sizes to match the fronts to the rears.

Its quite expensive, but I think its an investment tool. Since tires for my 1/8th run 70.00 for 4 that in itself can get very expensive. So truing tires would in fact save money on tires in the long run.

Tweedy
Old 08-27-2004, 11:43 PM
ZipZap

ORIGINAL: Tweedybird

yeah I was going to pick up the newest Hudy Truer model which I believe is automatic and can be set to different sizes to match the fronts to the rears.

Its quite expensive, but I think its an investment tool. Since tires for my 1/8th run 70.00 for 4 that in itself can get very expensive. So truing tires would in fact save money on tires in the long run.

Tweedy
Save your money and get the Ofna. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Hudy gear. But, the Ofna automatic truer with the Hudy carbide bit inserted is loads cheaper.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:59 PM
toyturbo
My Feedback: (3)

about the foam tires wearing unevenly, try messing with your camber. Go more negative or positive until you see that the wear pattern is centered on the tire face. Offcourse you would have to be driving on a track or a path with turns, because that would be the only way to expose the outer part of the tire.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:14 AM
Hp Invent

what kinda car do you have ? Mugen MTX-3 ? If it is, there is a way to get even tire wear from front to rear.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:23 PM
R40Victim

The only way to match tire wear is to screw up the handling. If you don't care about that, then match compounds all the way around, and set your suspension flat and level all the way around. You may have level, evenly worn tires, but it will not handle well. Also, you may still get uneven wear, based on your driving technique...
Old 08-31-2004, 06:18 PM
fastcrash

ORIGINAL: Hp Invent

what kinda car do you have ? Mugen MTX-3 ? If it is, there is a way to get even tire wear from front to rear.
R-40

There has to be a way to get better tire wear, hara's tires were even after he won the world's, look at his car on hpi's site.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:07 PM
SilentWolv

This is my guess on the problem: Soften the rear suspension for better traction, and/or try using a body with better rear downforce like the Strattus, Mazda6, or Alfa.

If the car begins to push a little after this, even up the shore on the front. Its sounding like the rear is scrubbing too much.

-Silent
Old 09-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Hp Invent

Foam tires have different foam/rubber contents for both front and rear tires. Front tires have my rubber content then foam for longivity and all front foam tires are 26mm. Rear tires have more foam content then rubber content for traction ( rear are also 30mm ). You'll find out that most of the time, you'll go through rears more than fronts. There is a way to achieve even wear but it all has to do with overdrive. The mtx-3 has a overdrive gear set that Kawahara makes for this particular application ( it include the gears and the side belt. ) For your R40, I would true your tires down and create overdrive by staggering the front and rear tires. For example, true your fronts down to 62mm and your rears down to 64mm. Just make sure that you change your suspension accordingly to accomodate the difference from front to rear. I would also see if HPI has an overdrive gear package for thier R40. HPI is pretty up-to-date on performance especially if they have a driver like Hara for R & D. Also, an important factor of tire wear is the way you drive on the track. If your smooth on the track, then you'll save your tires and this will last a little longer then usually. If you're driving your car pretty hard going into the corners sideways ( i do it sometimes cause its fun ), you wear down your foam tires very quickly. Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:53 PM
Hp Invent

ORIGINAL: fastcrash

ORIGINAL: Hp Invent

R-40

There has to be a way to get better tire wear, hara's tires were even after he won the world's, look at his car on hpi's site.
I can't seem to find that on hpi's website. Can you post a direct link. Thx.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:55 PM
R40Victim

Intersting shot: http://www.hpieurope.com/graphics/ne...a/car_hara.jpg

And: http://www.hpieurope.com/graphics/ne...0_nats2k34.jpg

http://www.hpieurope.com/graphics/ne...0_nats2k31.jpg

http://www.hpieurope.com/graphics/ne.../P1010015k.jpg

I found these here: http://www.hpieurope.com/kits/news.p...=en&partNo=822

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.