Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

camber setting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 12:10 PM
schmism

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camber setting?

New to the Flat chassis thing. (love my tmax)

Bought an RS4 2 from a guy for $80. $40 in parts and its running. I was doing the last final tweeks before i put it on the pavement and noticed that the camber on all 4 wheels seemed way out of wack. (time to bust out the RMP camber gauge) yep, all four are at least -2 to -3 deg???

IN the real car world you want as much camber as possible. my tmax i run +2 in the front, 0 rear.

whats the word for these things?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:39 PM
ZipZap

Default RE: camber setting?

Typically, the touring cars run negative camber (top of the tire closer to the chassis than the bottom). I don't know about that specific chassis, but I'm running -3 degrees front and rear on my NTC3.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:33 PM
schmism

DOH, think i got my + and - backwards

yes the top of the tires should lean IN toward the chasses.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:32 AM
AWay

Default weird

See now I have my camber + on the front AND rear. When I have it at 0 or negative the inside of all my tires wear insanely fast in a line all the way around the tire. After a couple days of running I will have cut right down to the cords/ through the tire. The ONLY way I can get them to wear in the middle is to put the camber out with the top of the wheels slightly farther out from the car than the bottoms.

Does this sound familiar or is it just me?
Old 08-27-2004, 02:03 AM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Typical camber settings are from 0 to -2, I normally run about -1.5 in the front and -2 in the rear for a race setup. If you look at just about any default setup that comes in the manuals for race breed cars they are usually in this area for camber.

If you are having to run any + or extreme neg. camber then there is probably something wrong with the suspension or the assembly of the car.

Once the car is setup with a default setup, you can take a white oil based crayon and mark a line straight across all 4 tires, run the car a bit and check the line to see where it is scrubbing the most. Adjust accordingly.

Dbow
Old 08-27-2004, 05:59 AM
Tweedybird

Default RE: weird

ORIGINAL: AWay

See now I have my camber + on the front AND rear. When I have it at 0 or negative the inside of all my tires wear insanely fast in a line all the way around the tire. After a couple days of running I will have cut right down to the cords/ through the tire. The ONLY way I can get them to wear in the middle is to put the camber out with the top of the wheels slightly farther out from the car than the bottoms.

Does this sound familiar or is it just me?
The TC3 factory setup is pretty close to race specs, as long as you follow the book on the build and setup you should be fine. Just a matter of dialing it in to suit your needs at the track or parking lot.

Tweedy
Old 08-27-2004, 06:30 AM
AWay

Default RE: weird

Well without doing the white crayon routine I know where it's rubbing because it almost cuts through thr tire. It's not immediately but does happen. I usually run just on the weekends maybe 5 tanks each day and lets say in a month they tires will be practically shot. Maybe this is just normal wear, but it's wierd that it's just in that specific area of the tire.

Also our "track" we made runs mostly with right hand turns and only one left so maybe that could be contributing to it? The crazy camber I'm running now actually make the tires wear in the center where they should. Maybe I'll take some pics later.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:47 PM
schmism

so last night was the first time i got a chance to run this thing....

its a lot of fun but im courious about how these things handle. compaired to my t-maxx i expected this thing to turn like it was on rails... but no..

1) i am running about 2 deg negitive camber
2) how much diff does the various tires make
3) are the road tracks THAT much more sticky than reg asphalt/concreet?

I had it up hear at the office parking lot today which was recently re-sealed and the surface feels farily tacky. I had started to peal a tire off last night and it took about 3 turns before i pealed it compleatly off [:'(]

It will get reglued tonight and im planning on hitting the tennis courts this weekend at the local park
Old 08-28-2004, 09:07 AM
Tweedybird

get rid of the rubber tires and get some foams on there, and you will notice a big handling difference.

Jaco 40 shore 30mm rears and 35 shore 26mm fronts.

Tweedy
Old 08-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Carnutz68
My Feedback: (1)

For the best traction on our track we take and blow all the dirt and sand off then spray sugar water for traction. (learn to drive with foams you will only use your rubber for electric car)[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]