RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Official Smartech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:18 AM
Kol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Smartech Thread

ORIGINAL: Fat Boy

I've just acquired a Smartech 1/5 scale "Ranger" 2WD with a 23cc gas motor. Problem is, I've got the car and a "Challenger" TX but no manuals for either.

I've already checked the site but can't seem to find anything to help.

Jeff
Is there any particular info that you are looking for? Download a manual from another manufacturer for a similar model. It will have plenty of info in it.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Dkishton1486

Another question, Is the clutch bell supposed to be moving constantly with the engine running or should it be like an actual clutch and be able to be stopped with the engine running? Because I ran mine yesterday and the clutch bell was constantly moving and I swear I coulf have recalled before I took it all apart it would only engage when I gave it some gas....
Old 11-05-2007, 10:22 AM
boltech

Yes the clutch bell should always be easy to turn. With the buggy off you should be able to spin it freely, mind you the wheels will turn as the clutch bell is still in mesh with the tranny.... If you push the buggy or car while it is off it should be able to roll for up to a meter. You will notice while it is rolling that the clutch bell is also turning. Note that the actual cam shaft of the engine is not turning.

ORIGINAL: Dkishton1486

Another question, Is the clutch bell supposed to be moving constantly with the engine running or should it be like an actual clutch and be able to be stopped with the engine running? Because I ran mine yesterday and the clutch bell was constantly moving and I swear I coulf have recalled before I took it all apart it would only engage when I gave it some gas....
Old 11-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Dkishton1486

So when its stared the clutch bell shouldnt be turning as fast as the engine it?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:41 AM
boltech

During idle the clutch bell may rock a bit but should not be turning. Once you tap the throttle and the clutch shoes come in contact with the clutch bell, then the bell will turn.

ORIGINAL: Dkishton1486

So when its stared the clutch bell shouldnt be turning as fast as the engine it?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:43 AM
boltech

BUT!!! if the clutch bell is not in contact with the tranny and you have the engine on a stand then the clutch bell will spin with the engine. Due to the fact the tranny is not there to hinder it from spinning freely.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:31 AM
R.lepecha

you nust have melted the sose to the bell or they are stukin some way you need to take the clutch bell of and have a look
as your engine is turning over when the bell ics turned this shouldent happen
Old 11-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Dkishton1486

Hmmm yeah my bell is turning no matter what. I took it off and it looks ok nothing melted at all.. I did take off the clutch and flipped it around and it seemed like 2nd gear was in conatct the whole time making it spin constantly.. Does anyone have a pic of which way the clutch goes on? Hopefully you guys know what im talking about
Old 11-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Dkishton1486

Well since this is p1ssing me of can I just buy a 1 speed tranny anmd fit it in with a new bell housing?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:33 PM
jazuniga8

Anybody have transmission problems with these cars. I got on and it ran great for about a month. Now the transmission locks up. I have changed out the clutch and this worked for about a week. The transmission still locks up. I took it apart and brass bushing are worn and the whole tranmission wobbles. Any idea how to fix this problem?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Kol

They are the things you will find. All the parts are poor quality with play between components before you ever start. Depends what you want. Something to work on an mess about with: stick with the smartech. Something reliable, robust, and good quality: spend some money and buy a decent car and don't waste any more on the smartech. Hope that helps.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:36 PM
hibityhupla

I always end up ripping up my gears before the bearings wear out. I still say go with the redcat trannies, cheaper and last just as long. I would have to agree with KOL. I bought my smartech for a car to work on. Something always breaks or comes apart. If you want something you won't have to mess with much go with Traxxas. I have a Revo, Jato and 4-tec and all I've had to replace is what I've broke on purpose.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 AM
JonesE

My new kyosho clutch arrived today but I'm still waiting on new bearings. I had a question about installing the new metal clutch though.

I assume this is going on the correct way with the tapered edge facing the clutch bell and the washer in the clutch bell. As you can see in the second picture that's as far as the clutch goes because of the spring. With the old plastic one, I just shoved the thing on but I am wondering if this damaged the spring in doing so. I only thought of this when I noticed these nicks in the rods.

What is the best way to put this new clutch on? Should I just shove it in harder or should I take the spring off, put the clutch shoe on, then put the spring back on?
Thanks.
The kyosho clutch shoe is also slightly smaller than the plastic smartech one FYI
Old 11-08-2007, 11:47 AM
boltech

You can move the spring out of the way while sliding the clutch on. Since the clutch is alloy you will most likely want the spring to have a bit more tension so the clutch will not prematurely engage. Alloy clutch shoes are a bit heavier than the plastic ones and tend to engage at lower speeds.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:33 PM
jav818

Hello fellas!!!

Im new to thi hobby, I have been reading the thread from the begining, but got tired at the 4th page so i jump to the end. I my self also a fun of cars and always wanted one. well like most of you I bought the smartech from ebay pretty cheap. My first nitro!! had no clue how to start it. well i got it started and it run for like 10 minutes then it started to shut off on its own. now its hard to start, i keep on pulling to start it but it wont. if it hapen to start, the secod that I give it ga it shuts off. can any one help me? I have no clue at all so please be specific even if it sounds ovious. Also I started to use regular glow fuel from the begining, didnt know I had to breack in the engine. what is that any ways? thanks guys and sorry for the long note. you can also email me, [email protected] just use smartech on the subject. thanks a lot.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:00 PM
mxfred426

180 to 240 i like to keep my temp close to a real car .hit 360 in a race once sure it wasn't good for it but it still runs really good . once u got it close to tune drive it hard check temp periodicaly and tune it for those conditions when it cools between sessions it might run a little crappy till u reach operating temp. good luck
Old 11-09-2007, 08:20 PM
hibityhupla

ORIGINAL: jav818

Hello fellas!!!

Im new to thi hobby, I have been reading the thread from the begining, but got tired at the 4th page so i jump to the end. I my self also a fun of cars and always wanted one. well like most of you I bought the smartech from ebay pretty cheap. My first nitro!! had no clue how to start it. well i got it started and it run for like 10 minutes then it started to shut off on its own. now its hard to start, i keep on pulling to start it but it wont. if it hapen to start, the secod that I give it ga it shuts off. can any one help me? I have no clue at all so please be specific even if it sounds ovious. Also I started to use regular glow fuel from the begining, didnt know I had to breack in the engine. what is that any ways? thanks guys and sorry for the long note. you can also email me, [email protected] just use smartech on the subject. thanks a lot.
Try to get your hands on a traxxas 3.3 tuning dvd. I know it's not the same brand but there is a lot of useful information on it. It will cover the break-in and tuning. you can pick one up on ebay for around $5.
To start make sure your settings are right and check the glow plug out of the engine to make sure the whole coil lights up. stock setting- carb open 1-1.5mm, fuel adjustment- 2.5 turns from closed.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Tom McCall

Hey guys it's hibityhupla. They gave me a hard time for hiding behind a user name so I'm back using my real name.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:15 PM
ferrarimk13

hiding behind a username? your friends, or RCU? anywho, are u related to Bruce McCall, who wrote a book? lol just came to mid, since im reading his book now, so its weird. Hows the smartech?
Old 11-11-2007, 02:25 PM
R.lepecha

[sm=drowning.gif]hi have any of you had a problem with the engine flamming out (the fuel evaporates as it touches the carb)[sm=disappointed.gif] the high speed and low speed on mine are 1/4 of a turn off maximum performace and it still flames out do you know what the problem is[sm=confused.gif]
Old 11-11-2007, 03:05 PM
ferrarimk13

put it back that 1/4 turn, it might be the problem, especially if its too lean, it flames out, because theres not enough fuel coming into the carb.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:21 PM
mike75rccars

does anyone know where to buy (online or in Australia) a new cylinder head for a 15CXP motor.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:48 PM
TrailBlazer250

did you strip yours? i did, and i machined one out of 6061 aluminum on a lathe. it was quick and easy. i tried to order one from rseetoys.com but they were sold out.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:55 PM
mike75rccars

haha i wouldn't have the 1st clue about machining my own.

no the only real reason i want one is i have to strip my engine down and i thought if i'm going to do that i might as well get rid of the plain metal coloured one and get a nice funky coloured one instead.i want to seal my engine cos it looks like i might have an air leak problem once the motor warms up.[:@]
Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 PM
TrailBlazer250

one that i think fits the stock motor is the hpi T-15 cooling head. for the .15 cx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.