Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

OS .12 TR, hard start

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 01:38 PM
dpk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .12 TR, hard start

I haven't fully broken this engine in yet. I'm trying to finish that up before winter comes. It's just, I can't seem to get the car to start. I can turn the flywheel with my fingers, but it is really, really hard, and I usually only get one turn before I stop 'cause my thumbs start to hurt.

I took the head off to see what was going on. The piston makes it up almost all the way up the sleeve before it gets stuck, about 1/8" from the top. If it gets all the way up, it gets stuck there on the way down.

I pulled out my micrometer(I think that's the name) and measured it. At the bottom of the sleeve it's 0.055". At the top, 0.052".

I've tried heating the engine with a hair dryer before starting it, but it doesn't seem to help. I don't see any rust on the sleeve or piston. Should I get a new sleeve anyways? Is it something I can kind of "stretch" to like 0.054" so it'll still be tight, but not impossibly so?
Old 09-29-2004, 03:10 PM
^^_FaWaZ_^^

Default RE: OS .12 TR, hard start

i had a 12 TR its very hard to start during break in , after the 4th tank it will be ok , by the way how r u starting it ??
Old 09-29-2004, 04:15 PM
B.T.D.T.

I have the same motor and it's hard to turn over by hand. I start my car with the AE starter box with very little problems. Make sure your starter box's battery is fully charged. I use a 12V battery. At times it seems to lock up. Make sure your engine is not flooded. If flooded, remove glow plug and cover hole and tap the start for 1 - 2 sec to clear the fuel. Reinstall plug and start.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:15 PM
dpk

I've only started it twice, with a starter box. I can't get it to start at all now. I've run the starter box battery down twice trying to get it to kick over.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:18 PM
dpk

I think the flywheel would have to complete a revolution to "deflood" it with the starter box, I'd have to just flip it over. In any case, I've opened it up and didn't see any signs of flooding. There is fuel going up to the carb. But, ultimately, the starter box cannot turn the flywheel even one revolution, at full charge.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:10 AM
GoonieAsian

I have had the same problem with my factory team NTC3 when i dropped the .12tr-t motor in mine. i found out that my 5yr old starter box doesnt have enough punch to it like it used to even hooking up directly to my car battery. well i suggest hooking up the bump box to a car battery.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:29 PM
^^_FaWaZ_^^

what do u mean start it by hand ?? like a recoil starter ??