RTR vs. Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 02:34 AM
crnchyfrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RTR vs. Kit

Hi i am a n00b. Be gentle.

I am looking into purchasing a R/C car.

I looked around a bit on some of the topics and have asked some others questions.

It seems that most people on this board have recommended getting a RTR car. However, this goes against what many others have said (in other places). It seems invariably that these vehicles will break and need repairs at some point in time. Many have suggested (although not any on R/C forums) that getting a Kit car is better so that you can familarize yourself with all the parts of your car.

It also appears that purchasing a NTC3 or a RS4 seems to be the way to go. However, there are so many different models of each NTC3 plus, RS4 Pro, RS4 SS and so on. I assume that you just look for a model that carries the features that you are looking for?

My final question is belt driven cars vs axle driven cars. Is a shaft driven car the same as an axle driven car? Shaft drive systems are supposedly better due to their ease of use and low maitaince costs/effort.

Thanks.

Dave
Old 10-14-2004, 06:09 AM
badboy_cdhac

Default RE: RTR vs. Kit

hey dave,

I Brought a RS4 RTR3 -------------------------------> and never looked back.
But im not to sure if they still sell the car so i would go for the RS4 RTR3 EVO. Which is pretty fast and a good starter car.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Josh222

I have the SS version and it is great
Old 10-14-2004, 10:34 AM
AWay

Agreed. I have the SS kit and love it. Back when i bought it the only way to get the hopped up version was via in kit form. My first time with a kit, but honestly I wouldn't have it any other way at this point.
Just bought my g/f a RS43 EVO from tower, and it's one helluva deal for what you get!
Old 10-14-2004, 11:21 AM
B.T.D.T.

FT NTC3 for me and never regret it. There is also the NTC3 without the factory hopup's. If you get the NTC3 kit car make sure you get Ver 2. It has a newer rear end.

I like to build my cars, it's half the fun and if something goes wrong you will know how to rip it apart and rebuilt it.

The NTC3 RTR Plus is also a very good car.

See below comments I have made.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Whic...2232562/tm.htm

You have to see what your LHS support if you are going there for odd and ends.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:52 PM
wywlice

I am a newer in this course,just don`t know much about R/C cars. However, i will never regret bought my NTC3 car. I love it . it runs so good.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:40 AM
Nubian1

RTR is not a bad way to start. Eventually you will have to take it apart for maintenace anyway. HPI is the wqy to go, TC3's are fragile. just my opinion though
Old 10-15-2004, 11:04 AM
gosha

First I was thinking about HPI’s RS4 3 EVO, but found NTC3 much better. I would go with NTC3 - very reliable, tunable and upgradeable.