Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

BELT or SHAFT DRIVE HELP??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 06:03 PM
IslandSavage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BELT or SHAFT DRIVE HELP??????

Which one is better and why? I plan on racing at the local on-road track.. Im buying either the SERPENT 710 or the FACTORY TEAM ASSOCIATED NTC3 this friday afternoon... Which one cost more to replace parts? is there that much difference? compare if you have the knowledge...thankx,,
Old 01-06-2005, 08:06 PM
nitroracer20

Default RE: BELT or SHAFT DRIVE HELP??????

Belt will cost more to replace(belts/pullys etc) imo. I never drove a belt only shaft and I cant complain about the shaft, never had a prob.
Good Luck
Old 01-07-2005, 10:33 AM
joop1987

I had nothing but problems with cars with belts. The little pebbles always find their way into the belt sprockets. If you plan on racing indoors, belts are great. If outside in parking lot, I suggest shaft.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:43 AM
roehrig

ORIGINAL: joop1987

I had nothing but problems with cars with belts. The little pebbles always find their way into the belt sprockets. If you plan on racing indoors, belts are great. If outside in parking lot, I suggest shaft.
I second that
Old 01-07-2005, 11:50 AM
kwong2001
My Feedback: (2)

If you're going to JUST race, get the 710. If you want to bash also, then go with the ntc3.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:25 PM
cardriverx

i have belt, and yet to have a prob with the belts.... in my experence belt seems to have a smoother, quicker acceleration, but thats in my experence.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:42 PM
IslandSavage

The FACTORY TEAM NTC3 is a racer..its not the street NTC3...it rated higher than the SERPENT 710 in the new TOURING CARS MEGA NITRO SHOTOUT edtion magazine... It was 3rd overall...very impressive.... Thats out of ten cars with all same setup equipment(engine,radio,fuel,etc...) driven by three pro drivers...
Old 01-07-2005, 05:49 PM
R40Victim

And in that very article the R40 had the 3rd best laptime, by a very narrow margin... Belt drives aren't as incedent prone as they've been made out to be. I drive mine on the street on a regular basis, only once have I had a rock get stuck in the belt. If you plan to run at the track, you shouldn't even consider this as a deciding factor. Find the car that has the best local parts support. That way when you break it, and you will, you can walk inside the hobby shop and continue racing. It would suck to have to wait a week to fix your car, missing out on the rest of the raceday...
Old 01-07-2005, 06:15 PM
cardriverx

And in that very article the R40 had the 3rd best laptime, by a very narrow margin... Belt drives aren't as incedent prone as they've been made out to be. I drive mine on the street on a regular basis, only once have I had a rock get stuck in the belt. If you plan to run at the track, you shouldn't even consider this as a deciding factor. Find the car that has the best local parts support. That way when you break it, and you will, you can walk inside the hobby shop and continue racing. It would suck to have to wait a week to fix your car, missing out on the rest of the raceday...
I couldent have said it better!
Old 01-07-2005, 06:32 PM
sirioracer110

I have a factory team nitro tc3 and i hate it if your racing it slides and doesnt handle very well plus the shaft is always bending. All the guys at the track run 710's and i drove one and handling is much better.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:23 AM
IslandSavage

Theres alot of LHS that supprot pretty much all the racers..im within driving distance to like 8 different shops.... theres 2 stores here that are strictly MUGEN/SERPENT...Im leaning towards the SERPENT 710.. Thankx for all the helpful info.....I wont be racing on the street, my plans are for the track...
Old 01-08-2005, 02:24 PM
B.T.D.T.

Is your car setup correctly? Did you use a setup kit to set your settings? Basically if your car is not setup right it will not handle right. If you don't crash, the shaft won't bend. L.O.L. You can now order the heavier shafts for your car made for the TC4.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:21 AM
IslandSavage

I went to they SERPENT LHS to check on price of parts.. They seem to be comparable to others.. I was happy to see that.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Saboteur10573

Been racing nitro belt driven sedans for 2 years. Have yet to get anything stuck in my drivetrain. Shaft drive is prone too as well. Debris can get stuck between the pinion and spur gears. If you want a shaft, the FW05R is pretty much the best rated shaft tourer. The NTC3 comes along. With that being said the VoneRRR is tested to be even better than the FW. If you're racing on a track, the belt vs shaft thing shouldn't be a concern. Many people bring this up and its neglegible. Onroads in general are suited for driving on smooth surfaces. A few bumps here or there are ok, but any debris littered area is a place for a Rally car...not a car sitting 5mm above the ground. Belts aren't costly at all. You can get them for 4-7 bucks maximum. Tracks in general are swept or blown off to maintain traction and a clean surface. If they don't, they should.