Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Vantage Carbon Fiber Pipe? Anyone use it?

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Vantage Carbon Fiber Pipe? Anyone use it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 06:07 PM
dlklamfo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vantage Carbon Fiber Pipe? Anyone use it?

Has anyone tried the vantage carbon fiber pipes? Or know if one would fit an RS4 3? Or use one on an RS4 3? They look pretty cool and are extremly light. Just wondering if all they are is looks or if they are good pipes. Thanks
Old 03-15-2005, 07:02 PM
thumpin347
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Vantage Carbon Fiber Pipe? Anyone use it?

i checked out their website but they dont have any listings for what cars/trucks/buggies they offer the pipe for. they look interesting and CF is a great heat resistant material. i'll just go with what i know and go with an RD Logics Turbo II pipe for my 18ss.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Josh222

they should work great, just look for one that will fit the right side. there very strong, they took one and beat an aluminium up with it and totaled the aluminium but the cf only had a chip in the finish[8D]
Old 03-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Cummins

I might get one...
Old 03-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Somers Racing

Had one, took a hit to the rear end of the car and it shattered it. Carbon fiber is strong when it isn't hot. When it heats up it wants to splinter. This is what happened to my CF hood on my 3000GT.
Peter
Old 03-24-2005, 02:21 AM
Cummins

ok, thanks for that advise. I don't think I'll pay £50 for it as I am a notoriously bad driver... Who's only driving spot is a long narrow road surrounded on both sides by concrete...
Old 03-24-2005, 03:06 AM
thumpin347

ORIGINAL: Somers Racing

Had one, took a hit to the rear end of the car and it shattered it. Carbon fiber is strong when it isn't hot. When it heats up it wants to splinter. This is what happened to my CF hood on my 3000GT.
Peter
wow...thats interesting news. i guess the epoxy they used to bond the fibers wasnt up to the task. also, carbon fiber is heat resistant, but i dont think it was meant to make "hot parts" out of...hence why you dont see carbon fiber intake manifolds, headers, exhausts, etc. on real cars...just body pieces. Vantage probably put out the pipe to differentiate their product from more reputable pipe makers like RD Logics and the like.

another thing...carbon fiber hoods on the market right now, all they are, are fiberglass cores, with a thin carbon fiber wrap. being such a thin wrap, there wont be anywhere enough epoxy bonding the fibers of CF, causing it to want to splinter when the epoxy weakens when exposed to heat. i see tons of imports come into my dad's body shop with cracked CF hoods. i was curious as to what was going on with them, i cut one down the middle, and to my surprise, it was a fiberglass core, with a wrap. that's why any real racer, and i'm talking about the big dog underground guys, and pro NIRA guys dont use carbon fiber hoods on their steel bodied cars. they use a lightened fiberglass hood, painted acrylic hood or a stock steel hood, with the cross beams cut out of them.

i've done plenty of custom work on imports, and some of the excuses as to why they dont want me to spray their CF hoods, CF fenders, CF bumpers, CF trunks and hatches, etc are hilarious. one common one is..."i dont want to add any extra weight", LOL. tell me you want to show off your carbon fiber pieces...dont tell me a bit of primer, basecoat, and clearcoat adds weight...hehe
Old 03-24-2005, 04:07 AM
Cummins

ORIGINAL: thumpin347

also, carbon fiber is heat resistant, but i dont think it was meant to make "hot parts" out of...hence why you dont see carbon fiber intake manifolds, headers, exhausts, etc. on real cars...just body pieces. Vantage probably put out the pipe to differentiate their product from more reputable pipe makers like RD Logics and the like.
I'm no expert but don't some of those road bikes have carbon exhausts? Or is it just a carbon paint job.

ORIGINAL: thumpin347

i've done plenty of custom work on imports, and some of the excuses as to why they dont want me to spray their CF hoods, CF fenders, CF bumpers, CF trunks and hatches, etc are hilarious. one common one is..."i dont want to add any extra weight", LOL. tell me you want to show off your carbon fiber pieces...dont tell me a bit of primer, basecoat, and clearcoat adds weight...hehe
If I wanted to show off my carbon, I'd probably make an excuse even worse...
Old 03-24-2005, 10:22 PM
lateapex

yeah, I had a carbon pipe on my streetbike, I've got titanium now I've seen a lot of crashes with carbon pipes on bikes and they seem to stand up ok. they do break differently than metal pipes though. metal tends to just bend and dent where carbon will bend to a certain extent, then just snap. I haven't seen one shatter though. I guess real motorcycle pipes are just made better. I think a lot of RC parts aren't really made to real car and bike standards.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:57 AM
Somers Racing

Most motorcycle CF pipes and thin tin metal with a CF sleeve fitted over it to give it a better look. To my understanding they aren't 100% CF, just tin with the sleeve over it.
Peter
Old 03-25-2005, 01:18 AM
Cummins

Oh right. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:50 PM
thumpin347

ORIGINAL: Somers Racing

Most motorcycle CF pipes and thin tin metal with a CF sleeve fitted over it to give it a better look. To my understanding they aren't 100% CF, just tin with the sleeve over it.
Peter
yep...CF pipes are CF wraps around the canister
Old 03-26-2005, 03:29 AM
Cummins

they look cool though...
Old 03-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Somers Racing

Thanks for the definate clear up on the bike pipes 347. I was 90% sure before but I am 100% now.
Thanks bro.
Peter
Old 03-27-2005, 01:02 AM
bighitbiker3

CF isnt strong at all when heated it is weak as ****. Go wit teh THC pipe i love mine
Old 03-27-2005, 06:26 AM
Cummins

Well that has sorted something out. I guess the overall opinon is:

Carbon Fibre sucks for pipes.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:39 PM
rickyyxx

Well, my cf pipe has worked wonderfully for me, i don't know about you but i wouldn't jump into conclusion until i have personally tried it myself.[>:]
Old 03-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Cummins

ORIGINAL: Cummins

Well that has sorted something out. I guess the opinon opinon is:

Carbon Fibre sucks for pipes.
Read again, mister. By the way, out of curiosity, what pipe is it and what car/engine are you using it on?
Old 03-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Somers Racing

Ricky, Cummins said that it was his opinion. (OPINION). I have tried it and carbon fiber sucks for tuned pipes. When it is heated it seperates the adhiesive and splits the fibers in the material. One little hit and its done. Try racing hard with it for 1 day and rub a little with your buddies and then come back on here and tell us all (me) that its the sickest pipe on the market.
Once again......(CUMMINS OPINION ON THE SUBJECT) is that he thinks it sucks.
Hope this CLEARS everything up.
Peter
Old 03-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Cummins

Thank you for that Somers Racing, saved me all that typing...