Old 04-27-2005, 09:29 AM
yikes!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default a typical newbie question (first car)

Hey all great message board you got here. I want to get into the hobby and i really think i want to go nitro. im an electronic engineer and i see electronics all day so im sure you can understand why i want to get a nitro engine.
as a total beginner what would you recommend. i have about a AU1000 max to spend that is to get it fully working with everything.
I went down to my LHS and he told me to go for a simple semi fast car that can enter comps. he had another there which had an oversized engine which he said was good for the WOW factor but cant enter comps coz it dont have a category.
i LIKE the look of the NTC3 plus but he told me it was high maintenance and it has a lot of adjustments that only racers need.
i would like to race one day. and i enjoy messing around with mechanics, improving settings to make things work better etc... but is it way to over the top for a beginner. and what is "high maintenance" anyway? does it mean i will forever be replacing parts or does it mean i will need a really good knowledge of nitro setups just to keep it running. or is it just that i will need to keep it clean/ tuned and well oiled.
any input from experienced enthusiasts would be much appreciated
Old 04-27-2005, 10:26 AM
yikes!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: a typical newbie question (first car)

also. do the spoilers do anything?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:32 PM
gosha

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

NTC3 is very tunable and low maintenance. Very good car and very competitive.
RTR is very good to start but if you want to race I would change radio to some synthesized - Airtronics MX-3s or JR XS3. You will have less problems to find free channel.
If you have enough money - buy NTC3 Factory Team kit. You'll need to add engine and radio. Plus some supplemental equipment.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:12 PM
r40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

high maintenance really depends on the way the person saying it means it. i think that generally it means keep it clean and oiled, and that you would be continually tunning it. i dont think it means that you will need to repair it often but i wouldnt push any nitro vehicle to hard unless you have alot of mods.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:50 PM
spazzyfry123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1000AU max...so that should be about...$750-$800 in U.S. moolah. If you are planning on racing, go ahead and get a Mugen or Serpent or something along those lines so you can already get used to the adjustment possibilities and a racing type vehicle without having to go out and buy a new ride (I am assuming you are wanting to run 1/10th scale 200mm touring, right?) Maybe a Serpent 710 and throw in a nice .12 and some reliable radio gear (FM without a doubt. Oh, and make sure to grab a failsafe, too). The Serpents and Mugens are high-end race cars, so if you are not wanting to start out that high, then I think a NTC3 Factory Team Kit would be a very nice choice. That way you get to still get to know the in's and out's of the car while you build it. But if you just want something to put fuel in and get going from the start, then a NTC3+ would be a nice choice--a very nice RTR.

Here is a link to the Serpent 710 if you want to look into it more: http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=3293

And here's a nice choice of racing motors as well (.12 size): http://www.mytsn.com/products/prodlist.asp?prcid=20

I also see that you are an electronic engineer. Well that is a great thing so you can understand the importance of the radio gear more than others just starting out in the hobby. I strongly suggest getting a failsafe so there are no interruptions with the radio waves or having to worry about a battery failure.

Venom makes a nice failsafe: www.venom-racing.com

And all the radio gear is really just on preference.

Hopefully this has given some light onto your situation
Good luck,
Tyler
Old 04-28-2005, 10:02 AM
yikes!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, yeah the factory team kit sounds good, i would love to put it together. what engine would you suggest? and again... are the spoilers just for looks??
Old 04-28-2005, 04:19 PM
sasquatch1976

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Go for the NTC3 Team and put in a JP, RB or some at least mild tuned .12 engine. They don't have to be expensive to be good.

Team Infinity (Katana 312) and LRP makes good .12 size engines too.

Regarding the spoilers yes the make a difference.

I have the NTC3+ RTR myself. (changed alot over time so basically a team now) and it comes with a ProtoForm body It is very good in handling. And yes there is a difference in driving style when you change body. I have not had that many yet, but they are not alike.

Spoilers makes a bigger difference than type of body. If you loose it get another. Usually they are available seperate. I have only lost one as of yet.

Imagine the scale speed these cars handles. 50-60 mph i scale 1:10 = 600 mph. A spoiler (or sudden lack of it) makes a difference.

Hope this informarion is of any help.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:36 PM
spazzyfry123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, a NTC Factory kit will be a nice choice. For an engine, how about something along the lines of Novamega? http://www.mytsn.com/products/prodlist.asp?prcid=20 That link is for a bunch of .12 motors from Novamega. You'll also need a starterbox, so... http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLZ9&P=M That will also need a battery/charger.

And for the spoilers...yes, they do make a difference, they affect the handling tremendously at high speeds.