Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Pull start

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 10:12 AM
jet6619

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull start

I was cleaning the engine of a ntc3+. so i took off the pull start and the spring popped out. I was able to put it back in but when i pull the rope it wont spring back like its supposed to. I see that there is like a little hook at the end of the spring , is that suppoed to hold on to something?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:50 PM
r40

Default RE: Pull start

yes, there should be a hook at both ends and they both need to connect to something. go to
www.hpiracing.com the go to instructions then scroll down untill you see rebuiding your pull start, it is an entire walk through on rebuilding your pull start, which should help you
Old 05-07-2005, 01:03 PM
RS4 BuDDy

sorry to take over this thread but, i too did the same thing and lik i got both sides of the spring to attatch, it seems to pull, but dosnt recoil lik it use 2 be, its lik 3inches left over, thats just hanging around, after i pull it. anyone can help... and again sorry to take over your thread, jet. thanks
jason
Old 05-07-2005, 02:05 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RS4 BuDDy

sorry to take over this thread but, i too did the same thing and lik i got both sides of the spring to attatch, it seems to pull, but dosnt recoil lik it use 2 be, its lik 3inches left over, thats just hanging around, after i pull it. anyone can help... and again sorry to take over your thread, jet. thanks
jason
You will need to remove the pullstart assembly in one piece, and then wrap more of the cord around the mechanism (where the other cord which has been "recoiled" is). This will cause the spring to pull the excess cord back into the housing when you let go of the pullstart cord. It is a very difficult to describe step by step exactly whet you need to do, but is should become apparent when you remove the pullstart. Oh, and you may require another pair of hands to do this, so either grow some more or ask someone to help. [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-07-2005, 02:26 PM
RS4 BuDDy

i see..... i sort of get what you mean, but when u say chord u mean the spring inside or the rope for the pullstarter. thanks
jason
Old 05-07-2005, 02:51 PM
r40

he means the spring inside.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:33 PM
nitroracer20

once you rewind the spring it will loose some of its tension and there fore loose some of its tension. Thats normal
LAter
Old 05-07-2005, 05:55 PM
jet6619

I was able to fix the pull start and install it. The car belongs to a friend of mine and he doesnt know anything about this hobby and the engine wouldnt turn on. He asked me if I could fix it for him, and i tried but couldnt get the engine going. I've had the car for almost a whole month trying to fix it. I have done all i can but with no success. I returned it to him a few minutes ago. I was really anxious to get it going so that I could race him with my savage. Kinda sucks not having anybody to race with around here[&o]. Thanks for the help though.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:47 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RS4 BuDDy

i see..... i sort of get what you mean, but when u say chord u mean the spring inside or the rope for the pullstarter. thanks
jason
I mean the pullstart rope, you COULD do a similar thing with the spring, but it is much easier to just put a few more turns of the string around the mechanism than take the spring off and try to replace it under more tension.