Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Diff Broken?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 02:12 AM
drachekrieger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff Broken?

Thx alot snowbl!nd for your help on my last problem. I replaced both of those grub screws... But its another similiar problem. I am not getting power to wheels. The wheels on both front and rear do not spin the opposite way when i spin the opposite wheel... When i lift the car when its started, only the back ones spin, but when i set it down, it either does not go, or goes very slow... It revs up but no acceleration. The driveshaft spins. I am unsure of what is wrong. Would it be easier to just buy new diffs, or would it be better to take apart the diffs and fix it, about how much would either way cost? I think it is hammer racing, 1/10th scale 4wd, 2 spd. Thx i appreciate all help.

Also this is a little off the topic of my post, but the pullstarter slips more than 50% of the time. It started that when i took it to the hobby store to get screws. The guy adjusted my glowplug, he said it had way too much compression. But the slipping is quite annoying, takes a while to start my car.

Again i greatly appreciate all help, thx
Old 05-08-2005, 02:27 AM
kwong2001
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Diff Broken?

What kind of differentials do you have? Is it a gear diff? Or ball diff? If it's a gear differential, you probably blew a gear inside of it. If it's a ball differential, tighten the screws more.

As for the pullstarter, take out the one way and spray it with some nitro cleaner. Then make sure whatever shaft it's connecting to, is also clean. Put a little after-run oil on both and it should work. If not, you'll need to replace it.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:24 AM
drachekrieger

OK, i have gear diffs, but i figured it out. The wheel wont spin the opposite way if the drive part of the differential isnt being held. I took apart the whole back end of my car to figure out there was just a stupid second grub screw that was loose. Jeeze, i learned quite a bit from that though, took apart diff and checked it out, kinda fun so back end problem solved, but the reason the front end doesnt work is because when it got ran over by a motorcycle the other day [X(] i lost one of the axles that connect the diff to the wheel (btw whats that axle called?) the getting run over part was kinda wierd (was distracted by some kid, asked if i build it i said nah, bought it off ebay, then i look and my car is heading straight toward a motorcycle, coulda been a horrible head on collision, but i swerved, spun out, didnt notice it was facing the side of the motorcycle, gassed it in shock, and it went right under the back tire of the motorcycle, eek), and embarrasing lol. but luckily it was only the very front end of the car where that bumper is, of course i had the body on that time i was driving it, and the front end got crushed, so its hard to put on now... but i will prob go to the hobby store to get that axle and i should be good to go

thx for your help kwong

that is all the body damage, nothin much, but i am very lucky
Old 05-08-2005, 05:35 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The axle that connects the diff to the wheel is either a "dogbone" - (looks like a bone when you remove it), or some type of CVD or "constant velocity driveshaft". If you still have "drive cups" on both the diff and the wheel, where the axle sits, then it is a dogbone, as CVD's replace the dogbone and the drive cup on the wheel side with one unit.

So apart from the axle the car is good to go, right?

And another thing, make sure you loktite all of the grub screws unless they WILL come loose again. You should be able to get some loktite from the hobby shop, and make sure you get the medium strength stuff, the high strength will prevent you from removing anything when you actuall need to remove it.

Glad you found the source of the problems, it is usually something as simple as a missing screw which causes all the problems - (my car was acting all wierd a while ago, it keps spinning out under acceleration or braking. I discovered that it had changed to 3 wheel drive as a grub screw had come loose)
Old 05-08-2005, 05:56 AM
drachekrieger

yeah when i went to the hobby shop they were out of the loktite, the the axle is a shaft with a ball on each end, and two little points that go in the cups, so thats a dogbone right? i def need to get loktite tho, cus i replaced that screw when i got home the other day, it mustve fell out again, i put em in kinda tight this time, but i have extras now, but when i get the axle ill make sure i get some loktite...