Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

When I brake I stall.. hmm HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 01:27 PM
redbean19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When I brake I stall.. hmm HELP!!

Hello,

Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated! I own a Smartech 1/10th scale nitro on road car. Yaya, I know Smartech is garbage - learned the hard way![:@] Anyways, something is clearly wrong my my carb. It's fine when I am throttling, however when I brake, it closes up the carb completely. The carb doesn't stop leaving an opening like most carbs - it just closes up completely.[]
As many of you probably know Smartech carbs aren't very tunable. There is one screw on it which I am pretty sure is for idle speeds. So I am really unsure what to do at this point.
Anyways, like i said any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
Peace
Old 05-12-2005, 01:53 PM
napalm_Fire

Default RE: When I brake I stall.. hmm HELP!!

turn up your idle and make sure theres a hole there when you're breaking. Set your throttle trim so when you let off the throttle, it returns to the idle speed.

im pretty sure that mostly everyone here would agree that its an idle screw adjustment problem. I'd suggest trying that, and then posting back with results so we can further help with your problem
Old 05-12-2005, 06:41 PM
cardriverx

yeah, find the idle screw on the carb and turn it so that when you put on the brakes, the carb is open about 2mm.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:47 PM
napalm_Fire

always go from a smaller opening to a wider opening, because if it starts at an idle that can engage the clutch, off goes the car and then it will be bad for the clutch when you apply the breaks and the car is still trying to move with a good bit of power...
Old 05-13-2005, 04:14 AM
chocyman

Wont go on about Smartech NOT being crap, just getting what you pay for (I have 3 nitro cars, Traxxas, Tamiya and Smartech), and each have adifferent purpose and cost....

Anyway, as others have said, you need 1mm (ish) of throttle opening showing at all times when idling or when the brake is applied.
What Id suggest is to set your transmitter to centre trim, remove the air filter, (with the engine stopped) then check the throttle opening (should be 1mm). Apply the brake, does the throttle opening close up? If it does, wind IN the small screw near the throttle opening (where the air filter goes over). its a small black head screw with a spring behind it, until 1mm of gap is showing (this is all still whilst the brake is applied). Now release the brake, does the gap open up again to more than 1mm? If it does, you have have to adjust one of the following, return spring tension position(spring thats on the throttle linkage rod) so that it pushes the carb closed more and/or move the linkage rod down a hole on the carbs throttle arm (normally its in the top one) or if this fails, you may have to re-position the throttle horn one notch clockwise (making the throttle rod push the carb closed more), and then re-set everything back up. One other thing to check after this is that at full throttle (WOT) that the carb barrel is fully open and isnt covering the hole (stopping the engine reaching top speed).
if it gets all buggered up and you cant sort it out, Im sure your local hobby shop will help if you take it to them and ask nicely!
Its tricky to describe (hope its not too confusing) but hopefully you`ll see what im trying to say.

Hope it helps