Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

2 speed help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 12:18 PM
ntc3rcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 speed help

i need help with adjusting my 2 speed and setting the . 12 engine to the right amount of leanness with 20% nitro( how many screws out). right now im re building my my pull start. i need help. will i be able to hear it shift. i drove it once and i had so much acceleration. but couldnt hear it shift. if i was to screw the adjment screws all the way in about how many turns should i turn it out from past experience. thanx
Old 05-09-2005, 12:36 PM
gosha

Default RE: 2 speed help

If you talking about High Speed Needle (HSN) - put it 21/2 turns back. This is factory setting. Start lean it from there.
You should hear it shifting.
BTW yesterday I noticed that when my car shift to the second gear it pulls right. Should it be that way?
Old 05-09-2005, 01:05 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gosha

BTW yesterday I noticed that when my car shift to the second gear it pulls right. Should it be that way?
If you are also running an NTC3 (or any other shaft driven car) then the problem might be torque steer, the sudden jolt of acceleration from shifting MIGHT be causing the car to steer to one side (something to do with the rotation of the drive shaft?!?). If however, the car does not torque steer when you nail the throttle from standstill, then it is probably something to do with the car setup. Check that the toe-in on the rear wheels is the same, ride height etc...
Old 05-09-2005, 01:53 PM
gosha

Yep, looks like it is torque steer. It comes back immediately.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:29 AM
ntc3rcr

so u mean if i was to take the screw out then i would turn it 2 1/2 turnes back in? and t lean it u turn counter clockwise?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:44 AM
gosha

OK. Turn it clockwise till it fully closes but do not over-tight. Now turn it counter clockwise 21/2 turns to open. This is factory settings.
Start the engine and give it couple of runs to bring it to operating temps. Now start to lean it clockwise by 1/4-1/8 turns.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:36 PM
ntc3rcr

thanxs
Old 05-10-2005, 02:24 PM
gosha

you are welcome. Let know if it helped.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:59 AM
ntc3rcr

another problem when i roll my car my gears on my engine does not engage with the gears on the drive shaft. i think it is a clutch problem. what do yall think about putting a duratrax .18 into my ntc3. that thing should fly.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:04 PM
snowbl!nd

ORIGINAL: ntc3rcr

another problem when i roll my car my gears on my engine does not engage with the gears on the drive shaft. i think it is a clutch problem.
Well, the 2-speed assembly contains a one-way bearing on the primary gear (1'st) so when the car is rolled forward the bearing slips. This is completely normal, the 2-speed would not function if the first gear was always engaged - when it shifted it would simply tear all the teeth off the gears. If you roll the car backwards the one-way should lock and turn the pinion and clutch bell.

As for the .18, you might want to consider something more like an OS .18, just for the reliability and torque that these engines produce. Whatever, just make sure you get the correct shaft, carb etc to fit the car. Then you will be able to gear up to get more top-end, or leave the gearing as it is and just have insane low end torque (good for donuts and powerslides).
Old 05-11-2005, 01:34 PM
ntc3rcr

that is exactly what its doing when i roll it backwards the gears spin. what do i do to fix it. also it is an os .18 right off a duratrax evader
Old 05-11-2005, 02:47 PM
snowbl!nd

The gears are supposed to spin when you roll it backwards! It means that the one way bearing is working and gripping the shaft. If it didn't then the spur and pinion gears would spin when the clutch was engaged but the car would not move as there would be no force applied to the drivetrain.

You should be able to use the .18 as long as the carb, exhaust (rear/side) and crank are compatible with the car (look at what the current engine in the car is). You may need a new engine mount as the mounting holes on the cranckase will be further apart than on a .12 (is the .18 in the duratrax a big block or "big bore"?). As long as everything fits then the .18 should work in the car, although it will put more strain on the drivetrain and parts will wear out faster.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:54 PM
ntc3rcr

thanx alot im goin out to try it lata
Old 05-13-2005, 12:47 PM
ntc3rcr

i tried it yesterday and was alot faster. but engine kept slidind over so now i have to get some lock tight. and i didnt hear it shift. but it went faster.