Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Questions about engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 03:37 PM
cjennings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about engines

I have a HPI RS4 3 Evo and would like to get this thing really going out on my loacl racetrack. The only mods i have so far are a new tuned pipe. I am planning on buying an air filter but my main project is to try to put a Green Lighting engine in (that is the engine in the CEN CTS-4). The CTS-4 goes 70+ mph and i would like my car to be running in the high 60's. Would putting this engine in achive my goal???

P.S. i have also heard that the O.S. .18 would be a good thing to look at
Old 05-15-2005, 04:24 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Questions about engines

ORIGINAL: cjennings

P.S. i have also heard that the O.S. .18 would be a good thing to look at
Race legal engines are only .12's, so it is unlikely that you would be allowed to run a .18 at the track (depending on how closely they follow racing regs). If you really want to get into racing, than a high-end .12 (eg Novarossi) would be your best bet. They sure haul - i have a Novarossi/ Top CT-12 in my thunder tiger.
Thay are a bit pricey but well worth it, and they would be ideal for track use as they have a good powerband. Oh, and i hope you already have an airfilter as running without one will ruin an engine.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Josh222

the evo has one, i think he means upgrading.. I purchased a .12R XS a little while ago, i paid 80buck(regular is 130) and it is great in my Type SS, i was running 18/43 22/39 gearing in my Type SS with this engine and it kept up with a tamiya with a rb se .12 and a NTC3 with a OS tr and that is 5teeth up over stock but i went back to lower than stock and now i need to try it out agian
Old 05-17-2005, 07:52 PM
cjennings

but how fast does that get you going?????
Old 05-18-2005, 10:58 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cjennings

but how fast does that get you going?????
Any of those engines will be fast enough, remember there is such a thing as TOO MUCH power... And it's not always speed that you want, an car is no use on the track if it goes 60mph, but takes 30 secs to reach it. You want a good combination of torque and revs from an engine, allowing good acceleration AND top speed.

The Novas and Rb's (made by Nova i think) will be the most powerful, followed by the OS and the .12 xs.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:51 PM
fastcrash

cjennings, the o.s. TZ is an outstanding engine, but here are 3 things to keep in mind.

1) this engine makes a collossal amount of torque, throughout the entire rpm range. this is great from a performance standpoint, but makes the car more than a handfull at the track.

2) it's not race legal because of its displacement, and its port count. (5+1)

3) if you can race it at your local track, and you can handle the power, you have to contend with the poor fuel economy. this thing eats gas like my ofna/picco .26 in my savage. no joke. it burns fuel faster than my hyper .21 8 port engine.

now if you can deal with those cons, and you still decide to go with it, you will be completely stunned by it's power. if you run rubber tires, you wont for long cause they dont provide enough grip. even the foams i run spin throughout first gear if i punch the throttle from a stop. and the temps hover around 235 f. i have decided to go with last years race engine again,( orion .12 turbo ) cause i have to pit an extra time with the 18TZ. but the TZ will find a very happy home in my rs4 supernitro. the snrs4 will be better equiped to handle the power, and will become my non-race speedster just for my amusement. i will be making some pinion pulley changes to make a disgusting final drive ratio.
once ready i will use the mph test figures to resurect the "post your top speed" post.

hope you can make the decision thats right for u, good luck with your new engine..........chris