RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

How to apply air filter oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 07:28 PM
zafeirop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to apply air filter oil

Hello all.

I was just wondering... when I apply the air filter oil on a regular tubular air filter, do I have to pour it on both its sides or just on the one?

My Tamiya XBG uses two seperate filters - the inner and the outer. The outer filter gets all the dirt on it while the inner remains clean - well it looks like.

Thank you
Old 05-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Josh222

Default RE: How to apply air filter oil

Cover the whole thing with oil and work it in
Old 05-12-2005, 08:25 PM
zafeirop

So when you say "the whole" you mean to cover both sides of the sponge. [:'(]
Old 05-12-2005, 08:35 PM
cardriverx

if you have a filter with an outside and an inside peice of foam, the outside foam DOES NOT get air filter oil. for the inside all I do is put some drops of oil on the foam then rub it in with my fingers.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:28 PM
zafeirop

Well I swear that when I got it brand new, the outside filter (the upper one) was also oiled!

And beside that, why to leave the outer piece un-oiled and let the debris come in to the inner more easy? [8D]

The best way would be to have the outer oiled and the inner un-oiled since it works as the last resort of dust catcher.

Just scratching my head [:-] ...
Old 05-13-2005, 03:13 AM
Ybenjulkay2x

On mine I decide to do it both, any way, if you have a zip lock (if you don't ask your mon) it is good to do it inside a zip lock, it won't mess your hands as the filter is secure inside the plastic [sm=drowning.gif]and you save the excess too. You can also used the rest later(oil)
Old 05-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Josh222

and use nitro fuel to clean it, i find it is the best
Old 05-15-2005, 02:41 AM
Cummins

Heres my guide:

To clean the air filter:
Clean with fairy liquid and warm water. Be very thourough. Then, let it dry COMPLETELY (!) in a dustless enviorment (inside a plastic bag is best, although it will take a while to dry). Then, clean it again with Nitro fuel.

Why a two stage filter is better:
On a double layered air filter, oil the inside layer and leave the outer layer un-oiled. This creates a very effective two stage filter. The outer filter serves as an initial catch for any big debris and the inner layer to catch the fine dust and grime that the outer layer couldn't get. This also creates minimal air resitance on the air intake wheras if you oil both then the oxygen has two layers of oil to pass through. This also serves to keep the inside layer clean from grime that would stick to the oil. NOTE: Althogh the inside layer will appear cleaner, you MUST STILL CLEAN AND OIL IT AS MUCH AS USUAL.

Oiling the air filter:
Apply air filter oil (I use motor cylce foam oil) to one side of the foam, wearing latex gloves, work the oil through until it can be seen on both sides (this is why you need coloured oil). Re-oil every 2-5 tanks.

Chris
Old 05-17-2005, 09:10 PM
zafeirop

I will agree with your very well planned guide Mr Cummins but I'll have to add that the 2 stage (layer) filter proccess is best for those who clean their filters occasionaly.

In case where you leave your air filters uncleaned ie for 7-8 runs, then a big amount of debris has reached the second filter so the chances that dust will come into the carbuerator are considerable.

But for the medium RC hobbyist, who usually negects RC maintenance, I would recomend to oil both the filters. In a certain period of time, the car will be unable to "breath" oxygen, so the user will have to clean and reoil his filters. In your case, with the first filter unoiled, I redict that the car will continue to breath without problem for at least 10 runs, depending on terrain, weather conditions etc.

Thank you all guys[&:]