My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What can cause this?

Hello . I got a rs4-3 rtr w/ 2 spd and after i ran it a few runs i i can hear a click click sound @ low speeds . after i ran out of fuel i can spin the font wheel and the click click noise is there . Is there a prob with the 2spd?
Old 05-22-2005, 09:44 PM
HPIracer4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What can cause this?

might be ur front differentials, try takin out the 2 speed (or just hte front dogbone from tranny to diff) and then try spinning it, if u still hear the clicking, its prolly ur diffs........any1 correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure thats wat it is
Old 05-22-2005, 10:30 PM
C3Racing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i can put the rear wheels on the ground and spin the front wheels (not on the ground ) by hand and the noise is not there. but if i pick the whole car up and spin the front wheels the noise is there.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:43 PM
OddsNEnds

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check your spur gears and clutch bell for any pebbles or damage from rocks. also, if it is a belt drive, I remember my RS42 was belt driven, check your belt pulleys for rocks or damaged teeth from rocks also.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:36 PM
adam_s_101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i can put the rear wheels on the ground and spin the front wheels (not on the ground ) by hand and the noise is not there. but if i pick the whole car up and spin the front wheels the noise is there.
That could mean that it is the rear diff. when the whole car is in the air and you spin the front wheel the back should also spin but when the back is on the ground so it wont spin. this would mean that it wouldnt make the noise if the back is on the ground

Basically it might be the rear diff that has the problem
Old 05-23-2005, 03:53 PM
snowbl!nd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, lift the car completely off the ground.

Spin ONE front wheel, the opposite wheel should spin in the opposite direction. Ig it clicks, the problem is in the front diff.

Repeat, this time testing the rear. If you get a clicking the fault is in the rear diff.

If you have not yet found the source move on to the last step.

Now, hold one rear wheel firmly (so that it cannot move) and turn the other rear wheel clockwise. This will engage the drivetrain and move the front wheels. If this causes the clicking, the problem is not in the diffs, but somewhere in the drivetrain - belts, gears (pinions/spurs), pulleys etc.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:50 PM
C3Racing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all your help Guys I did what snowbl!nd sugested and @ a closer look a couple of teeth on the pinions got chewed up by something.. ganna get new ones before the spurs get ruined.. Should i tape of the oval slot where the spurs are showing to help prevent this issue from happining again?

Thanks again HPI Racer4, OddsNEnds,adam s 101 , snowb!nd...
Old 05-24-2005, 07:23 AM
cossie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i would or put sum metal mesh across the bottom, that will allow some extremly small bits to get it but unlikly, also tapin could cause problems tho as that is where stones fall through that go onto the chassis so if they get stuck onto the tape and then bounce against the spurs that will wreck then, it best just to take the car to a place which aint very stoney
Old 05-25-2005, 11:34 AM
C3Racing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: snowbl!nd

Ok, lift the car completely off the ground.

Spin ONE front wheel, the opposite wheel should spin in the opposite direction. Ig it clicks, the problem is in the front diff.

Repeat, this time testing the rear. If you get a clicking the fault is in the rear diff.

If you have not yet found the source move on to the last step.

Now, hold one rear wheel firmly (so that it cannot move) and turn the other rear wheel clockwise. This will engage the drivetrain and move the front wheels. If this causes the clicking, the problem is not in the diffs, but somewhere in the drivetrain - belts, gears (pinions/spurs), pulleys etc.
When i spin the front wheels with the whole car off the ground the tranny is ingaged!! but the noise sounds like it's in the diff. Should i tape of the oval slot where the spurs are showing to help prevent this issue from happining again?
Old 05-25-2005, 01:11 PM
snowbl!nd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: C3Racing

When i spin the front wheels with the whole car off the ground the tranny is ingaged!! but the noise sounds like it's in the diff.
If you spin BOTH front wheels in the same direction with the car off the ground, the drivetrain should engage. If you are only spinning one wheel and the drivetrain is engaging the diff is probably ruined, take it out of the car, open it up and have a look inside. Check the teeth on the gears (it is a gear diff, right?). They will probably require replacing. If they seem ok, re-grease them, reassemble (make sure you replace any shims that were on the gear shafts, or the mesh will not be correct).

What do you mean by "the oval slot where the spurs are showing"?. If you are talking about a hole in the chassis beneath the gears then you can, as long as there is enough clearence (the hole usually allows the spurs to sit lower, if it was not there the spur would catch on the chassis). It is unlikely that taping it will solve the problem - it would just come off. You might be able to fabricate something out of lexan though, which you could attach in place using screw holes in the chassis. The best option would be to drive where there are few/no stones to get caught in the gears.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:31 PM
C3Racing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"If you spin BOTH front wheels in the same direction with the car off the ground, the drivetrain should engage. If you are only spinning one wheel and the drivetrain is engaging the diff is probably ruined, take it out of the car, open it up and have a look inside. Check the teeth on the gears (it is a gear diff, right?). They will probably require replacing. If they seem ok, re-grease them, reassemble (make sure you replace any shims that were on the gear shafts, or the mesh will not be correct). "

It's done that from day one but i will check .. but the pinions got pretty chewed up.[:@]
The clicking noise didnt start until the other day .. then i noticed the pinion's shape.

Thank's snowbl!nd
Old 05-25-2005, 04:13 PM
BOB N

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well when you spin the front wheel, i know the rs4 3 ss has a spring in between the two diffirential gears, and when you spin the front wheel the whole drivetrain is engaged, so you might want to either stop it from engaging or spin the other wheel at the same time (opposite direction)