Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Is the HPI Nitro RS4 3 18SS Kit a good first kit?

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Is the HPI Nitro RS4 3 18SS Kit a good first kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 05:02 PM
johnnyrocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is the HPI Nitro RS4 3 18SS Kit a good first kit?

My rs4 used to go about 67 mph now it only goes around 20-30 ive taken apart the engine set throttle to manufacturers settings and all that nice stuff, got it to idle but when i get it to go faster than than 25 it either cuts out or as soon as i ease off the throttle it will just cut out this @#$$% is giving me a headache. i need help tryin to figure out what's wrong with it!
hpi cars are all show and all go if you know how to hop it up mine is fast when it works as for me im about to give it the medievil treatment.[:@]
Old 12-11-2005, 05:03 PM
johnnyrocket

also thinking of getting that esky lama copter never had a heli before had 2 planes crashed them both past repair
Old 12-12-2005, 06:16 PM
rounder540

yeah all the aluminum stuff is pretty over rated im just happy with my plastic stuff for now sep for shocks diff casing and other things on the savage that you really want to be aluminum or titanium i dont race mine and dont think id want too for comp to much money to make it ride right monster trucks to me are for bashing and play racing and stuff with your friends and id cringe too if i saw someone trying to race something they just spent 2 grand hopping up with aluminum and what not only to dent it all up when they crash if you think about that then (if smart) you dont want to waste the money to much for the what little added protection you get but all in all i will say hpi has got it going on didnt like the motor for savage but the design for the truck is the way it should be i wouldnt get any other design sep maybe a mammoth warhead and quality of parts ? submerged whole truck in water after flip 260 to 40 like that on motor cleaned out motor and let it dry still worked servos and all though motor didnt last very long after still was impressed it ran alright for 3/4 gal think it was never broke in right anyway got from friend but anyway just wanted to say my peace want to get this kit too for hpi looking into it now but later
Old 12-31-2005, 10:42 AM
Bluebrew
My Feedback: (1)

I used to recommend the RS4 3ss or AE RC10 GT as good 1st timer nitro kits. Now I built an HPI RS4 MT2 18ss and I gotta say that little bugger is cool ! I thought it was just an RS4 3 with bigger suspension and wheels...not the case! It was a fun build, but even more fun to drive. It's a single speed that I was intending to update to 2, but once I drove it the 2 speed idea was history. This rig has no over running clutch so when you lift the trottle, engine braking is fantastic, just like an electric! It turns on a dime, goes nearly anywhere, all in all the best bang for the first timers' buck IMO.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:10 PM
tron_23

can someone link me to an rs4 3 18ss video? i wanna see how good it runs before i buy it. iv searched everywhere but cant fund any thing
Old 02-15-2006, 07:36 AM
rtcinema

I feel i must inject my two cents on the ricer comment. Sorry, but i must. Have any of you every seen a street race before? A bunch of guys standing around at 2 am frezzing cold? NONE of them and I say NONE drive a porsche, ferrari, or Mercedes. I've seen a guy with an M3 racing once. Now I'm not on here trying to pretend i'm some street race expert when I'm not, and i'm not, but my point is if you crash a porsche racing... you are f**ked with replacing parts. So unless you have more money then God and don't care about wasting it, your gonna have some kind of suped up ricer!

Back to RC world.

I just bought a HPI RS4 18ss Kit and am in the process of building it, are there any MUST HAVE parts that i should buy before putting it together?

Thanks,

-Ryan
Old 03-19-2006, 03:43 PM
johnnyrocket

i had my car working for a while until i flipped it bent the heat sink and stripped the screw hole on the engine were the heat sink screws on to so now im wondering do i have 2 buy a whole new engine cuz if i haave to im just gunna get the 18ss
Old 03-19-2006, 06:11 PM
silent_echo

well i own the original ss with the .12 engine i ahve had no problems in breakages or tuning problems with the engine this is an awesome car.

RTCINEMA---> you should buy a fuel filter a better air cleaner and replace the fuel tubing that came with your kit.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:51 PM
rtcinema

ORIGINAL: silent_echo

well i own the original ss with the .12 engine i ahve had no problems in breakages or tuning problems with the engine this is an awesome car.

RTCINEMA---> you should buy a fuel filter a better air cleaner and replace the fuel tubing that came with your kit.

Yeah replaced w/ braided tubing because the fuel lines come out right by the gears, and got myself a filter along with a million other things. Will have pictures soon.

-Ryan
Old 03-19-2006, 10:07 PM
joeytheking

I finished my rs3 18ss yesterday and all i need now is fuel.
then the most hated process of it all for me... break in[:@]

after all thats through with i'll post some movies for you tron and anyone else who wants to see it.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:02 AM
Descent

i just built my 18ss two weekends ago and it was my first kit. its very durable (i was in a couple accidents and only minor things broke) and fast