Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Breaking in a new Engine

Old 06-08-2005, 08:22 PM
DKTimmy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in a new Engine

Recently got a nitro tc3+ and have put around 10 - 12 tanks of 20% fuel through it yet can never get it to run right. I followed the directions with the kit, have reset all the needles and readjusted twice. I can go easy on the gas to go, but after it goes to the point of full gas it bogs down. If you smash the gas it just bogs down. Any ideas or any websites that you can point me to to help me get this thing running right. If you don't want to reply here, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:48 PM
cardriverx

Default RE: Breaking in a new Engine

sounds like your tune is lean. try richening it (counter-clockwise) and see if it gets better. hope that helps

-steve
Old 06-09-2005, 04:55 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it sounds very lean. A similar thing happened with my new Novarossi engine, it would just bog down immediately if i gunned it, or at about 3/4 throttle if i increased it gradually. Try richening it 1/4 of a turn at a time to see how it affects performance. You may need to richen it nearly 1 whole turn to get it to run properly. Remember, if you are not sure if an engine is running too rich or too lean, assume it is too lean and richen it first. Too rich is better than too lean, and you are less likely to damage an engine by running it too rich (although you can damage an engine if it is WAY too rich)
Old 06-09-2005, 09:50 AM
DKTimmy

Richen the high speed or the low speed needle? I haven't been able to get a temp gun yet and if i put a dab of water on the cooling head, it seldom seems to sizzle away.

Would it be wise to readjust everything back to factory and try again?
Old 06-09-2005, 04:51 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reset to factory settings and start from there. It should be about right, possibly slightly too rich but nothing to worry about. Get it running properly throughout the entire powerband (idling, full throttle etc) and then do any necessary fine tuning.