RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Ntc3 not shifting? help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 09:46 AM
kevin107
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ntc3 not shifting? help?

Hey there, I just finished around my 8th tank through my ntc3 yesterday and after leaning it out some from the factory settings, its only reaching a dissapointing 39mph on my VSM. I bought the older kit version (pullstart, side exhaust v1).. upgraded it to v2 specs out of the box, and dropped in a brand new OS .18cv-r. This thing should be doing a lot better than 39mph if the HPI rs4 can do 50+ with that 18ss engine.. right? Anyways, this is my first nitro tc. I cannot really tell if it is shifting. I've heard that they dont shift hard like a mt, but I dont really hear anything at all. Is this usual? Could it not be shifting? I'm a little confused by this speed situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:33 AM
jandb917

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ntc3 not shifting? help?

it sounds as if its not shifting make sure you adjust the the two screws you acess thought the second gear bell housing right they need to be set very close t each other if you screw one out 1/4 turn you must do the other a 1/4 turn also i bet this is the promblem i also bought the same kit side/pull version and mine didnt shft with AE setting i think i took both screw otu 3/4 turn before mine shifted, after it started shifting i drove 3-4 tanks like that then i adjusted it to shift where i wanted it to shift now its perfect but you should hear it shift
Old 06-09-2005, 04:47 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ntc3 not shifting? help?

Check for wear on the pinion gears. If 2'nd gear is not engaging then there will be little/no wear on it. If that is the case you will need to make it shift sooner by adjusting the 2-speed. See the instructiuons, im sure they will describe exactly what to do.
If there is wear on the 2'nd gear then that means it is shifting. If you cannot hear it shift it is probably shifting too early. Make it shift later by adjusting the 2-speed.
Also, a poorly tuned (or very new) engine will often not have yet developed the rpm's necessary to shift it out of 1'st. Keep running the engine and keep it properly tuned, it should be developing slightly more power as time goes on (maybe for a few more litres of fuel!).