Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Driveshaft popping out

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 08:24 PM
jonshepherd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft popping out

I had a crash with my car and one of the rear driveshafts snapped (my car was 4WD). The local shop is currently out of stock so ive temporarly made the car FWD (better than RWD!) but one of the driveshafts keeps coming out. I dont understand how it can come out as everytime i replace it i have to take the entire suspension mech off the fitting is so tight!

I have a Kyosho FW-05T
Old 06-25-2005, 05:19 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Driveshaft popping out

It probably comes out when there is a great amount of suspension travel (i.e when you go over a bump). This causes the distance between the two axles to change (from the diff axle to the drive axle) and may allow the dogbone to fall out.

To solve the problem, first insert the dogbone into the axles and place the car on a flat surface (wheels and all). See how much sideways movement there is in the dogbone, by moving it from side to side in between the two axles. You want to eliminate MOST of this movement, but leave a little so that the dogbone is not jammed in there, creating excessive wear. Estimate how much movement there is and then gain access to the dogbone (take suspension apart so that you can access the axles and the dogbone is free).
Then add a rubber "O"-ring into the axle outdrives (you may need to put one in each axle). If you dont have ant o-rings then short sections of fuel tubing work just as well. If possible, add the same amount of pading into each axle to keep the dogbone in the center.

Reassemble the suspension with the dogbone, place on a flat surface and test for movement. You want about 1mm of play in the dogbone, and the dogbone wants to be as centralised between the two axles as possible (being further in one will cause it so fall out of the other).

Repeat on both sides and that should solve the problem.

Similar thread > http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3104334/tm.htm
Old 06-25-2005, 06:26 PM
nitroracer20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Driveshaft popping out

shim out one side w/ fuel tubing.
Later