Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Bought R40 have questions

Old 07-20-2005, 01:25 AM
stanmart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought R40 have questions

I just bought and R40. I now need and engine i have some questions

1. I want to be able to run in a stock type class. What is a good solid reliable engine that isnt going to break my wallet and is fairly fast? I have two tracks near me. in the orlando area. What is typically accepted as far as engine types at tracks? I heard something about 3 port motors. Dont know what this means. I know the exhaust has restrictions as well. I want to race in a lower class. Definatly not and outlaw type. Been while!

2. What are the essentials for racing a nitro? What i mean is what do i need as far as general parts. In electric i needed extra batteries, tires etc. Not sure with nitro. Im a noob. I know i need a glow starter. What are the glow plugs?

3. I have and old Futaba Magnum PCM 1024 radio. Guy i bought the r40 from said this radio will be plenty sufficiant. The radio is in mint shape. Perfect working order. Has fast servos too even though there older. Back in its day was one of the better ones to buy. Is there any specific rules as far as radios go typically with racing now a days? Years ago I bought this radio to avoid interference with other radios. Seemed to work great back then. Dunno though.

4. What kind of matienence am i looking at with Nitro engines? I know the cars get dirtier then electrics so they need to be cleaned. How long if properly maintaned will these engines run well for? I plan on running this car in races only. Or at a track. Probably do my practicing with a simulation.

5. Is there a specific type of fuel that will help these engines last longer and run faster?

5. What kind of body type will i need? I want to run touring cars. Im a huge viper fanatic. Is this considered a touring body?

6. Setups. Where are some good places to learn how to setup these bad boys.

7. Last. Tires. What kind of tires work well on smooth asfault?

I have alot of tools etc. So im covered there. I even have a really nice RC tool box as well.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2005, 02:15 AM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bought R40 have questions

ok can help w/ all of that stuff pm me of aim: chaos01nicca or [email protected]
to tell you the truth you bought the wronng car for a beginner but its still kool
Old 07-20-2005, 05:58 AM
Burntt32
My Feedback: (1)

def the wrong car for a first nitro but have fun with it, and im sure nitroboy can help. for extras on it, you're goin to need a extra set of belts, a few sets of tires, extra harware, and arms. just anything you think you might break. for stock racing, you'll want to use a .12 3 port, meaning it has 3 flow ports that let air, exaughst and fuel in and out. a good 20% fuel will prolly work for your needs. its pretty healthy for the glow plug too. and by the way, a glowplug is the little thing in the engine head that ignites the fuel causing a cumbustion in the piston sleeve (its a mini spark plug). and for track rules, im assuming they keep with ROAR rules, in which case you're goin to need to look for things that say ROAR legal in terms of engine/exaughst
Old 07-21-2005, 12:14 AM
stanmart

Why buy something thats not competition if i plan on racing though? I looked at lower line cars but this one is already assembled and just needs and engine. Guy ran it once. I think for the money this is a nice car for racing. I could have bought a mugen or serpent but there pricey. Mugen was really expensive. I think this car with the right aftermarket parts could be just as effective as either of those. Plus the R40 is supossed to be fairly durable. Which is a plus. Im going to spend alot of time playing RealRace G2 and Virtual RC and get fast there. Virtual RC seems like a good practice tool. After i get solid with those the i will take the car to the track and practice for real. Ive raced before with electrics. On road and off. Used to do fairly well. Basically i need to learn how to deal with nitro motors and care for them. It will be a nice change to not have to worry about batteries. I hated that about racing electrics. But nitros have their own issues. But from some of the abuse ive seen these guys give their dirt cars in the videos section and they still run. Im not too worried. I will have clean air filters and good fuel.

This car will not see a parking lot unless im racing in it. One of our local hobby stores has races in their parking lot. But im sure they sweep it.

What makes it the wrong car? Am i missing something? Hope not. Ack!

So nitroboy suggested the .12 OS engine. Seems right in my price range. Seems like a good starter motor for me. I might go with this. I need to get a nice tuned pipe for it. Been looking at those as well. Belts i will definatly stock up on. Im sure these can wear out from time to time. Luckily the place im going to race at has a store right next to it. So if i break something i have access to get replacement parts. They carry alot of HPI stuff. Setting the car up will take some time to get down. I will have to research that more. From what ive seen on videos my competition is going to be very tough when i start racing. I need to have my stuff together if i want to place.

Nobody commented about my Futaba Magnum 1024. You guys heard of this radio? Its pretty old. You young cats were probably just little tikes when this radio was out. It was a solid transmitter for the time though. Probably upgrade later on.

I might get a Savage later on too. Those extreme jumping vids i was watching got me thinking. heh They look like alot of fun.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:44 AM
Nitroaddict

Stanmart - I am also in the Orlando area about once a month - I race at the Superior hobbies track all the time - as well as in kissimmee but with my 8th scale there. Welcome! The R40 is a great car, and even without experience, is a great vehicle = just get a pro to set it up for you so it handles properly. Feel free to PM me with any help questions you might have.

Superior hobbies will have most of the stuff you need - as far as engines go - there are many good ones out there - but you don't need a fast one for at least the first year - as you will perform better just trying to get around the track smoothly.

On that note however, contrary to popular belief - the higher end engines will tune better, run cooler, and stay on the pipe easier than cheaper engines. I would recommend getting an entry level racing engine to start with - you will pay more than the lesser engines designed for playing around, and you won't be able to use its full potential for a while, but it will be worth it in the long run. Many of the entry level race engines will come with a carb restrictor that will tone down engine performance until you get used to it.

Take a look at the RB Concepts X12 and V12 3ports, Mugen MR12, and Novarossi S3. These engines are all in the 180-220 range but will last you a long time. I run an RB Concepts Rody modified V12 5port and just love it. It has won many races there for me.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:38 AM
stanmart

I think your right nitroaddict. I think i need to stick with the good brand names. I was thinking nova rossi. I want to buy something that is going to last awhile. I might go as high as 250 on a motor. Think im most definatly going to get a .12... The .15 in RealRace was too much speed for me. But the 12 was perfect. I was very fast with it. I will check out these other motors as well. Im eagerly awaiting this car. I cant wait to run it. I just got my old futaba back and its in near mint condition. Thing is old. Got it in 91 or 92. Im going to pm you and ask you some stuff about this radio. Maybe you can give a newbie nitro guy some good tips. Setups i have no clue about. Going to need some help. Gonna Do some research. Ive been running realrace G2 and am doing well with it. I got the parking lot stuff wired. Just have no clue about setting up the car though. Im sure its not excactly like the real thing but some preparation im sure will help me in Real Life racing.

Oh i got my old ROAR membership card from 13 years ago. LOL. Wonder if its still good? hehehe. Probably not.

That kissimmee track is bad to the bone by the way. I cant wait to run out there. I wonder if i can practice out there for free? Use to be able to at this oval i used to race at. If so im going to spend alot of time over there getting setups going.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Nitroaddict

Stanmart - if you have a 250 range for the engine - get the RB concepts - they stock them at superior - I promise you will be happy with it - If you arn't completely sure how to break it in though, let me know in a pm and I will help you - they get a lil finicky during break in - also - you can add a shim to them and run 30% nitro - much faster, and runs cooler - my V12 rarely gets over 200F.

The last time I checked, Kissimmee should be okay for you - technically, it is off limits when not open, but no one really says anything unless you are a jerk. There is a group of guys who meet up behind the waterford lakes shopping center on Thursday nights too and set up amatuer races in the parking lot from about 7pm to 10pm
Old 07-24-2005, 07:55 PM
stanmart

Ok im gonna spend a little extra and get the good one. Dont want to get something not good.

I will go over to kissimmee when i get my car this week. Id like to try out the car there after i break in the engine.

Got my viper GTS body all done. I screwed up on the wing but the body looks great. I painted the wrong side of the wing. LOL. The body didnt come out quite as perfect as i wanted. I had a tiny bit of bleed on one side of the flames but it still looks very good. I thought for sure the masking was perfect. Its hard to get the tape flush everywhere. But it still looks way better then anything else ive painted. I will buy another body later and try again. The wing kind of ticked me off though. Hopefully i can buy another one from Superior Hobbies. Then it will look almost perfect. I picked a Florescent Orange and Blue. I wanted some thing darker in the back to show the flames and something bright in the front so i can see it on the track. heh

I got almost enough to get the engine. I gotta get the exhaust too though. Yikes. Expensive. Air Filter, Fuel and one servo as well. I need a throttle servo. Guy told me my old futaba PCM would work just fine for racing.

Thanks for the info on Waterford Lakes. Thats really close to me. I will have to take a ride down there one evening and test out my skills or lack there of.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:55 AM
Nitroaddict

Stan - yeah, that motor and pipe combo isn't cheap, but if going with the RB engine, go for broke and get the RB pipe and header too. Looks great, sounds great, and has a very smooth powerband. Leave the carb restrictor in the engine until you get used to it.

You should post a couple of pics of the car and your new body. For future bodies, if you use a hair dryer on the tape and then push it down again, it will conform better and prevent the bleeding.

For a later time - make sure you get the protoform stratus body - it's aerodynamics are much better and you will notice a huge difference in handling.

Shoot me a PM before going out to waterford lakes one night, and I will swing by too if I am in town.