RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

4 Tec engine/handling

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 01:52 PM
sigfla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Tec engine/handling

Engine:
Well I finally decided to read everyones comments on this forum and others re: the 2.5 engine and work with what I have instead of replacing it. I realized I had a small air leak somewhere in the engine, in addition to some drivetrain damage at the 2 speed shift adjustment screw (I lost my 16T 1st gear off the clutch bell and the shift screw had backed out and was jammed between the 1st and 2nd spur gear). These 2 factors likely caused my engine temp to rocket into the 300's. I cleaned and reinstalled my air filter with a zip tie and cleaned the engine glow plug hole and re-installed a new plug and copper washer. I also replaced the 16T gear and fixed the shift point grub screw. I now have the engine running fairly cool 215-230 and consistent.

I do believe I may need to richen my LSN a bit as the car does cut out a bit when given throttle before having warmed up. It also goes for about 2 very quick seconds under pinch before cutting out after having done a couple of speed runs and warming up.

My primarly concern in relation to the LSN and the car cutting out is that I have noticed my fuel foams/bubbles a bit inside the tank at the pickup for the fuel line. Is this normal or may I also have a leak there. I have some extra fuel line and could replace the stock line with it if needed. I have noticed my spare line seems top fit a bit tighter around my pickup fittings than the stock line thus it may provide a tighter seal. Is the bubbling normal? Do I need to richen my LSN?

Lastly, when a plug is installed the engine flywheel is hard to turn over with a single finger, without the plug it is fairly easy. However, the engine does seem to run strong and cool, especially since I fixed the above.

Handling:

When accelerating hard my rear end begins to come around wildly. My stock tires have been used hard but don't look too worn. My suspension does appear softer in the rear than the front. It concerns me b/c my chassis can and does drag in the back under certain situations. Seems like I need my front end to come down more and bite under acceleration and take some of the rear play out (pull the car instead of push it). Is this the proper fix and what should I do? OR should I replace my tires with a new set.