Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Help identify my old Kyosho nitro

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 06:46 PM
randomhero421

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identify my old Kyosho nitro

I was digging through my garage and found a Kyosho nitro RC car. It's pretty beat up, and it doesn't look to be very high-quality. It also looks like it is pretty old, none of the modern cars are built with plastic like this one is and the mechanical parts look very simple and old-style.

I oiled it up and cleaned the engine and replaced the rotted hoses and air filter. I also put in a new Traxxas glow plug. Set up my receiver and 2 servos and I was set. It ran okay, but soon the engine came loose off its mounts and proceeded to grind the hell out of the transmission gear with the clutch gear, rendering them both useless. I see now that some of the mounts on the plastic frame had cracked off. This was fixed with longer screws with washers. Although it is still missing one or two. Yes, this is very sad so far.

The thing is: I have no idea what model car this is, what kind of engine it is (I know it is glow plug,) etc. It says "Kyosho" on the bottom of the body, that's the only writing. This is the first and only nitro car I have ever owned, and it was given to me by a friend.

Is it worth it to buy the parts to fix it? Where would I find these parts. I have a local store that sells Traxxas parts; or would that be an utter waste of money? I am guessing the latter. Also, would any of the parts be worth anything on the Market here or perhaps on eBay? If anything, it could help fund a new vehicle.

I do realize it is a plastic hunk of junk, but if its only $5-10 to fix it (so it actually runs,) why not?

Thanks a ton,
Zach

EDIT: Whoops. Pictures located [link=http://www.nts-technologies.org/kyosho/]here[/link].
Old 11-21-2005, 10:23 PM
AJ DRAGON

Default RE: Help identify my old Kyosho nitro

Hi

Looks like a Kyosho nitro Sandblaster.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:17 PM
randomhero421

Yeah, I looked that up and I got the correct model name: Kyosho Nitro Sandmaster ST.

It appears as though I can get some parts cheap via eBay to fix it up. Thanks a lot!

-Zach
Old 11-23-2005, 05:30 PM
stanmart

ORIGINAL: randomhero421

I was digging through my garage and found a Kyosho nitro RC car. It's pretty beat up, and it doesn't look to be very high-quality. It also looks like it is pretty old, none of the modern cars are built with plastic like this one is and the mechanical parts look very simple and old-style.

I oiled it up and cleaned the engine and replaced the rotted hoses and air filter. I also put in a new Traxxas glow plug. Set up my receiver and 2 servos and I was set. It ran okay, but soon the engine came loose off its mounts and proceeded to grind the hell out of the transmission gear with the clutch gear, rendering them both useless. I see now that some of the mounts on the plastic frame had cracked off. This was fixed with longer screws with washers. Although it is still missing one or two. Yes, this is very sad so far.

The thing is: I have no idea what model car this is, what kind of engine it is (I know it is glow plug,) etc. It says "Kyosho" on the bottom of the body, that's the only writing. This is the first and only nitro car I have ever owned, and it was given to me by a friend.

Is it worth it to buy the parts to fix it? Where would I find these parts. I have a local store that sells Traxxas parts; or would that be an utter waste of money? I am guessing the latter. Also, would any of the parts be worth anything on the Market here or perhaps on eBay? If anything, it could help fund a new vehicle.

I do realize it is a plastic hunk of junk, but if its only $5-10 to fix it (so it actually runs,) why not?

Thanks a ton,
Zach

EDIT: Whoops. Pictures located [link=http://www.nts-technologies.org/kyosho/]here[/link].

I love vintage rc's. Its fun to fix the old beasts up and have some fun with them 20 years later. I have an old monster beetle and a TRC lynx.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:22 AM
bozla

That clutch bearing and gear look really similar to the old super 10 tr15. I'm sure you canget cheap parts for it (or something from kyosho that works) but you may have to hunt them down. They can be hard to find.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:41 AM
snomax1

hello all ,yes u got the model right,cool,i like old models,check out my kyo mod@snotec1@rcuniverse,but,i went a little to far ,now i dont want to get dirty see 4 your self,enjoy.have fun and take it easy.[8D]
Old 11-30-2005, 04:47 PM
randomhero421

I managed to get a replacement spur gear (SM15,) clutch bell, and clutch shoes for it at a place in Michigan called [link=http://www.prop-shop.com/]Prop-Shop Hobbies[/link] if anyone else needs them.

I hear the ground-till-flat spur is the most common issue with these. Anyways, now it runs great.

Thanks!
-Zach