Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

RS4 HELP PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 06:10 PM
bmxboy50789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 HELP PLZ

I have an rs4 for that put an hpi . 18 into, and i was breaking it in, i had completed 3 tanks, and now i cant get the freakin thing started....what is happeneing. I will do the pull start, and i hear the motor start for like 1 second, just rev and then die, so its not fully started. So i move the fuel settings slightly and it does the same thing. Then it gets flodded after like 5 pulls, and pull start is so hard!!! why is this happening, i know a starter box is what i may need, but why the freak wont my car start!!!! plz help!!!!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:26 PM
xdirtydeedsx

Default RE: RS4 HELP PLZ

Sounds flooded bad to me. Thats why the pullstart is so hard. Get back to the factory settings. Take the glow plug out, flip it upside down and pull the pullstart to blow the fuel out of it. Check your glow plug and ignitor.(stick the plug in the ignitor to see if it gets bright orange). If it checks out okay, put that plug back in. Remember this: an internal combustion engine needs only three things to run 1. fuel 2. ignition and 3. compression. Check all of that bud.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:55 PM
bmxboy50789

yeah i have done all that.....factory settings : all the waty close and then 3 full turns out, i am around there cuz i had fiddled with it yesterday.... But no luck, when it gets real jerky i pull fuel line off and then i plug it, and take the plug out flip it, and then pull it like you said, and i check the ignitor occasionally, and it always works. so thats out. Then put it back in and then a few fuel adjustments and pulling the pullstart later it is jerky again.....need other tips plz!!!! thanks for the try tho....
Old 12-06-2005, 05:29 PM
armedtotheteeth

yep, the easiest way to un-flood your engine is just to pull the fuel line off the carb. Try a hotter glow plug, but don't break the pull start, because that's a hassle.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:35 PM
xdirtydeedsx

maybe you have an airleak that is causing your stalls. maybe a blocked fuel line , idle adj?? I don't mean to be mentioning the obvious, but I don't know how experienced you are. hang in there
Old 12-06-2005, 10:51 PM
fastest_ntc3

Do not over prime the engine. Over priming causes the engine to flood. You may need to try a hotter plug if the engine keeps flooding.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:32 PM
xdirtydeedsx

dude did I not just say that??
Old 12-07-2005, 04:38 PM
fastest_ntc3

Oops, didn't read your post.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:26 PM
bmxboy50789

ok, well a hotter plug sounds good, will have to try that. But then the air leak, everything seems to be pretty sealed up.... But the idle adjustment, if i cant get it to start would that have any effect....considering its not really running. But if i were to adjust that how many turns and what way....thanks.....?

Also not over primeing i press it like twice and never again. And yes i am kinda inexperienced, but i have an ok idea
Old 12-08-2005, 04:40 PM
xdirtydeedsx

when you look into your carb w/o the air filter on, you should see a small (1mm) opening. If not, adjust so you do. This is your air inlet. and you'll see that as you pull your throttle open, the hole gets bigger. When you do get your car running (and you will) adjust your idle so your car just barely starts to creep at idle. good luck! Btw, 1mm is about 1/16 of an inch)
Old 12-08-2005, 05:06 PM
bmxboy50789

ok, so dont worry bout the idle until its started??? and ok, i think it is a little more than that.....but other thant that just fiddle with the ammount of gas going in a such....correct???
Old 12-09-2005, 08:56 PM
xdirtydeedsx

well you can get your idle close without starting it, just adjust your throttle so you see the opening I mentioned above. The fuel is metered by your high speed needle(off idle). This is your primary adjusting needle. By the way, check to make sure your engine still has good compression. Take the glow plug out and turn it over by hand at the flywheel. You should feel some resistance as the piston reaches top dead center of its stroke. It won't be much, just a slight tightening. If you feel nothing, you might need a rebuild or another engine. Sometimes worn engines will fire up and run good while still cold, but as it warms up, the compression is lost because of thermal expansion of the sleeve. So it stalls, basically. Another way to check to see if you have a fuel problem is just drop a few drops of fuel down the carb and put the filter back on. If it starts and stalls quickly, chances are you have a fuel delivery problem, or air leak....wow fingers going numb here!
Old 12-10-2005, 07:19 PM
bmxboy50789

well the motor is brand freakin new, hence the break in process, and i do feel some rsistance. But i got a starter box, and i can get it started fuel spurrting out of exhaust, but then if i take it off it dies immediatley, or if i tap throttle or try to adjust a little will make different noises like its working, but always dies. So idk i called the lhs cuz the clutch endebell wasnt turning when i thought i had it started, and they say the clutch or shoes or somethin like that is broken maybe??? could that be true???
Old 12-10-2005, 11:59 PM
xdirtydeedsx

seal up your engine. get some rv sealant and seal up your backing plate, carb, and high speed needle. I kind of forgot your motor was brand new, as we started this a while ago. One of my rc vehicles is a tmaxx and I used to go through this kind of stuff all the time with the hyper engines. man I'll never buy another one. I wish i could be there with your car, its so much easier when you can see and hear the engine and its behavior. going back to sealing the thing up.....I suspect some kind of air leak.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:41 AM
RC-MAN-4EVA

ok put ur ear ontop of the engine head and make sure the glowplug is in tight..... pull ur pullstart slowly.... if u here this kinda sssss (airleaking sound) then ur engine is leaking and it doesn't have enough compressions
Old 12-11-2005, 02:50 PM
bmxboy50789

ok....well i will look into the air leak possible areas.....and i will see what i can come up with....
Old 12-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Sharkonwheels

Also, if it runs for a few seconds, then dies, make sure the engine is getting fuel.
make sure your pressure line is going from the exhaust, to the tank.

Then check that the fuel line is full all the way to the carb. If you have a funky-colored
fuel line, trash it, and get a clear one! Use the funky colors on the tank pressure, 'cuz
it's hard to see fuel through colored lines.

Tony
Miami, FL
Old 12-15-2005, 12:55 PM
fastest_ntc3

Try putting zip-ties around the exhaust coupler and tighten them up as tight as possible.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:25 PM
armedtotheteeth

If it revs and dies like you said it sounds too lean on the low end. Remember, your low end needle affects idle too, so make sure everything is dialed in.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:20 PM
bmxboy50789

well ok good ideas, but simetumes when i start it i will hear a hiss....but then it never appears again. Also the zip ties are on the coupler, so i know they are good......The fuel line may be it they are kinda old and poopy....w/e. So i will replace them....so any tips on findimg the propper settings....??? i was told by the lhs worker not too touch the low speed needle....and i mess wit the fuel laot to find the good setting, and the idle screw below air filter, i do a little.....nothing much..........any ideas what i should do....i am looking into air leaks and i may call lhs or mess with needles alot more....plz help.....thanks for what you have posted tho....
Old 12-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Making2MuchMoney

ok you guys are all wrong unless someone said that you need a new glow plug i didnt read all the posts
its not that you need a hotter glow plug its just your old one is more then likly worn out
this happense alot when brakin in a new motor
Old 12-16-2005, 08:31 AM
xdirtydeedsx

been said...pay attention
Old 12-16-2005, 04:43 PM
bmxboy50789

ok...glow plug has been replace before, but i can try again, i got new ones so maybe it will work. And a dynamite mc-59 will work correct??? thats what i use.... .18 motor
Old 12-18-2005, 10:53 AM
mega1268

make sure the carb is ok? cause i did that with my revo and i tightened it to much and ruined the needle seat and it couldent be adjusted and kept flooding.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:39 PM
bmxboy50789

RE: well ok good ideas, but simetumes when i start it i will hear a hiss....but then it never appears again. Also the zip ties are on the coupler, so i know they are good......The fuel line may be it they are kinda old and poopy....w/e. So i will replace them....so any tips on findimg the propper settings....??? i was told by the lhs worker not too touch the low speed needle....and i mess wit the fuel laot to find the good setting, and the idle screw below air filter, i do a little.....nothing much..........any ideas what i should do....i am looking into air leaks and i may call lhs or mess with needles alot more....plz help.....thanks for what you have posted tho....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.