RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Tough Decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:51 PM
OnionMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tough Decision

Hi,

For the hell of it I'm going to see how much speed i can get out of my RS4 3 SS. I know its not the fastest chassis around and doesn't have the toughest tranny around either, but I'm comfortable with it and know it pretty well, and have grown bored with the 18ss engine in it.

The two engines I'm looking at are

1) EB modified OS 18TZ [link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLNF9&P=0[/link]

2) EB modified OS 12 TZ 5 port [link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLNF8&P=0[/link]

I have searched an read about the 18tz in touring cars, and i have, as much as i can, hardened everything i can, and am thinking of trying to put super rs4 wheels on if i got it. The 12 will most probably without a doubt have more rpm than the 18, but i am concerned about it being able to pull the taller ratios, but it would have a more usable power band. I have the suitable mounts to mount the SG shaft, and have a RS4 3 centax clutch on the way to.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Josh222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tough Decision

I would go for the 18tz, it still rev over 40,000rpms and has a good power band aswell, dyno'd at 2.28hp and 84oz-in of torque. For max speed your going to need to get a spur combo of a 39t and 43t. that centax uses purple pinions that can't be switched with the normal hpi ones so your going to half to get r40 pinions... that centax which i do have is very nice and i even got a pic of it put together[8D]