Husain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Help with fuel!! Please

Can any one tell me what is the best type of fuel to use for the car. Because i have been gettign contradicting information from the hobby stores. How many % nitro, and how many % oil, also must i use ful sinthetic or go full castor oil or a mixture of both?

At the moment i am using a 10% nitro, full sinthetic oil, but my engine is starting to run way too hot, even before the tank of fuel is finished, can any one please guide me with these wto probs?

thanks
Old 01-21-2006, 08:42 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Help with fuel!! Please

What Car do ya Have? and what Engines in it?
Fuel Facts, http://www.horizonhobby.com/Explore/...ArticleID=1318
Tuning Tips, http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm
Old 01-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Philster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Most modern name brand fuels, especially those between 10-20% nitro, won't cause an engine to run hot.

Now, if you were running 30% nitro....maybe we can suspect the fuel is contributing to high temps.

Engine temps are usually related to insufficient airflow or running the engine too lean.

Many 'sport' users, or 'basher's, find that a major brand of fuel with 10-14% oil (synthetic or not....but most fuels really depend on synthetics for the bulk of the lube)....anyway, most find 10-14% oil and 20% nitro a nice balance between cost and tunability. Too much oil just makes tuning a pain in the butt.

Consider airflow and running too lean as the major causes of high temps.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Husain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a koyosho fw 05 t with a .15 engine. I have jus bought and completed the run in.
I started on a 5% nitro fuel with synthetic oil, and it was running fine. as soon as i chnaged to
10% nitro (Brand cool power) with synthetic fuel, it just runs way to hot, for example a drop of water on the engine starts
to sizzle. and the car does not even run till the tank is empty, i dontthink i am running the car too lean beacuse i made a qaurter
of the turn to the lean side from the standard position.

does synthethic fuel lube the engine or burn right through? Beacuse this is what i have been told.
So do i get a mix of castor and synthetic? BUt doesnt castor carode the engine? How do i clean out the engine free from
fuel after i use it?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Josh222

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

when you switch fuels you need to do a mini breakin to set the engien to the new fuel. You set it back to factory settings and goes for a few tanks and lean it back out. In my own opinion your using fuel with a very low nitro percent and your not going to get max power out of it. On 20% nitro you will get much better power and it will run nice. Most good fuels use a blend of oils for best pertection. my fuel is 20% nitro 12% oil. The oil is 60% syn and 40% caster
Old 01-23-2006, 08:39 PM
XenX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

for example a drop of water on the engine starts
to sizzle
thats a very rough guide by the way.. 100 degrees C is not too hot for a nitro engine...

the water test is more that if you put the drop of water on and it instantly boils and evaporates .. thats too hot..
if you put a drop on and it boils after a second or so.. then your only just above 100 degrees.. which isnt that hot
Old 01-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Philster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On the water test, it should take 2-3 secs to sizzle and burn away. Anything faster = too hot.

Also, you pretty much have to make adjustments to the tune after every run and during every run sometimes. Re-tuning after new fuel is introduced is mandatory.