Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

what car to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 11:38 PM
C32AMG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what car to get?

Racing my 350Z and AMG C32 is getting expensive. Little info, I've had 4 nitro cars and 1 electric in the past. I dont really race, just have fun in big parking lots.

I'm not sure if I should get and 1/8 or 1/10 size car. What would you recomend for each size. The faster the better!!! I already have an FM radio and servos since I'm building the Savage SS 4.6.

For 1/10 I want to keep it under $450.
Team Associated TC3 RTR
HPI RS4
Mugen MTX-4
Tamiya RC GP RTR
Traxxas 4-TEC RTR

For 1/8 I want to keep it under $575 ( I may have to increase this, from the prices I've seen)
HPI Proceed
OFNA GTP RTR

These are some of the ones I'm looking @ anything I should look into? Also what upgrades would you recommend.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:56 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: what car to get?

daemnn 350 and C32 AMG?! NISSAN/MERCEDES POWER[8D] off topic but how quick are the C32's? for the 1/10 scale you should probaly get the team associated or the HPI, cause they are quite popular and have many modifications you can do to them, and when you break parts, and you will, then pretty much all hobby shops will have parts in stock because they are popular cars naice! u got some 13-14 second real cars and now they will ahve a challenge but a fraction of their size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol how quick are your real cars? later
Old 02-06-2006, 04:59 PM
jdmkyosho
Banned

VQ power!
Old 02-06-2006, 09:06 PM
kdm052

for 1/10 scale, i would get a nitro 4-tec. i have one and they are pretty fast for thier price for racing or just for fun.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:45 PM
RC-MAN-4EVA

since ur racing in the parking lot i don't think u should get the mugen mtx-4, its a belt driven car and rocks and easily strip ur gears and belts... stick with a RS4 3 18SS.... its a realli nice and fast car... and it can withstand alot of crashes
Old 02-06-2006, 11:01 PM
C32AMG

I havent done any 1/4 mile runs, more autocross. But the Z is good for high 13s / low 14s. The C32 is good for mid 13s. C32 very easy to handle even in the rain, I've gotten it to 130, very stable. The Z on the other hand very fun, got it to 158 against an NSX and a SL500.

350Z has
JWT intake
Custom Grounding Kit
19X8.5 F
19x10.5 R
StopTech Slotted Rotors F&R
HKS exhaust
G-Tech Pro
Custom Computer Chip
Alpine/Infinity Sound 900W

C32 has
18x8F
18x9R
StopTech F&R Slotted and Crossdrilled rotors
Custom computer chip.

I've heard Team Associated is one of the best kits for the money. For the HPI 18SS I've heard the engine leaks alot. But I know every shop carries parts for them. I had the 4-TEC 1st gen 50MPH, the new one is 60MPH great speed but I hear the belt system is dated an prone to break due to rocks.

What speeds can I expect from Team Associated and HPI out of the box? And what speeds can I get once I put $150 in upgrades and what would you recommend.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:50 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

damn, what do u do for a living? 350z with all that stuff=to round proably $40-50g with mods and the C32..as much as i lvoe benz, overpriced, is like round $50g and that computer chip cost u at least one grand if not more, considering its benz, adn ive seen a comp. chip for CL65 goin for $7g!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i mean how retarded do u ahve to b to spend 7g on a comp chip?! lol no offense to u, if u gots the money then go for it! and that amg is capable of more than 130 i mean come on!!! lol jk im sure u get the needle around the whole spedometer and get 160!!!! dont kill no one in the process though...........OFF TOPIC but im more interested in nissans and benzes than HPI and TRAXXAS, lol as much as i love rc and have poured almost 2g into my rc car! gettin my VQ35DE soon though
Old 02-06-2006, 11:52 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

u can expect round low-mid 50's and with 150 into them u can probaly get high low-mid 60's possibly
Old 02-09-2006, 07:13 PM
C32AMG

I'm a principal for a brokerage firm in So. Cal. I dont know what the top speed on the Benz is, but I've taken it 130 in the rain, and is very stable. I agree Benz are over priced. The reason I got it is that my brother in law used to work for Benz so I got a deal.

PRJCTSTRTFRCE, according to your profile you have the HPI .18SS, how do you like it? And is it true that the engine leaks a lot?
Old 02-10-2006, 06:58 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

i lvoe the thing! this is my first after-market engine and i absolutely love the thing! and whats this "it leask a lot" thing? from the season that ive had it, it ran perfectly! that motor in my car is insane! it rips really nicely, and could give ur 350z a beating up to at least 60 if not 70mph! lol[8D] and i hope that theres no leaking problem in the future and if there is then its probaly just a gasket u have to replace or a bolt/but/screw u have to tighten; think of it this way HPI is like NISSAN, high quality, not that pricey, great bang for buck, and did i mention high quality? HPI 18SS[sm=thumbup.gif] FTW!!!!!!! lol god luck with ur 350z and benz later
Old 02-10-2006, 07:01 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

sorry there were a few typos up there....

i love the thing! this is my first after-market engine and i absolutely love the thing! and whats this "it leaks a lot" thing? from the season that ive had it, it ran perfectly! that motor in my car is insane! it rips really nicely, and could give ur 350z a beating up to at least 60 if not 70mph! lol and i hope that theres no leaking problem in the future and if there is then its probaly just a gasket u have to replace or a bolt/nut/screw u have to tighten; think of it this way HPI is like NISSAN, high quality, not that pricey, great bang for buck, and did i mention high quality? HPI 18SS FTW!!!!!!! lol good luck with ur 350z and benz later
Old 02-10-2006, 07:13 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Prjct...your 18SS wouldn't MAKE it to 60

as far as the engine "leaking", the two I've seen with any real use to 'em have had drippy front bearings, just like my old 15SS.

Also, I'd recommend the NTC3 if the Team kit wasn't discontinued. the FT is way overpriced (MHO) if you're not gonna be racing, but you can pick up a nice used roller for dirt cheap. I sold mine for $150. You might want to look into the HPI R40 and an 18TZ if you want gonzo-nuts balls-out power. the R40 is only around $250 for the "normal" kit, and the 18TZ is around $175. You will need a starter box, though.

BTW, prjct, don't single somebody out by asking what they do...it's kinda rude. and for the price of that $7,000 chip, my El Camino will outrun both o' those cars[&:]
Old 02-12-2006, 04:41 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

awesome thunderbird it was a question and c32amg, if u found me being rude then please say so and flame me as much as u want, it was a just a question "thunderbird!" and y are u assuming that it wont hit 60, u dont even know what i have done to the thing....ur just thinknig that all i have is the motor....when i have tons more, so u go think that and bout ur el camino or w/e......im sure its more luxurious and eye catching and just so ingenuitive than the CL65...i mean what was i thinking? peace
Old 02-12-2006, 05:02 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

it was a question and c32amg, if u found me being rude then please say so and flame me as much as u want
Sorry, I doubt he was offended by it, and I wasn't intending to flame you.

and I was just givin you some good-natured crap about the car not hitting 60:P No, I don't know what's done to it, and I know the 18SS is a potent engine. Sorry if I offended you, that certainly wasn't the intent.

and yeah...either of his cars are nicer than anything I own, I'm not gonna even attempt to argue that that was just more good-natured crap talking, and intended in now way to insult anybody. If I could afford a 350Z, I'd own one.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:05 PM
jdmkyosho
Banned

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

and for the price of that $7,000 chip, my El Camino will outrun both o' those cars[&:]
Alright how about if you modify your Chevy El Camino for $7000 and go up againset a CL65 on the Autobahn and see what happens.....the El Camino wont even stand a chance. Also I would rather drive a beatiful luxury car that has superb german engineered handling and a 0-60 of 4.2 seconds .... as opposed to a El Camino which is a boat in the handling department, and the interior looks worse than a old buick and Im not even gonna start on the exterior. I do understand its an old car but... you cant compare the two.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:09 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

jdm...it IS the interior of an old Buick

Let me guess...You have something against my old '66 Buick Special and my '71 Olds Cutlass too[&:] (no longer in the stable)
Old 02-12-2006, 05:13 PM
jdmkyosho
Banned

oh I didnt know that! but really Im not a fan of American cars in general [sm=sleeping.gif]
Old 02-12-2006, 05:34 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

alright, alls good then thunderbird, didnt know u were jsut jokin round, so sorry as well and thanks
Old 02-12-2006, 05:36 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Now that I've successfully hijacked the thread (sorry)

c32...you decide on what to get yet?
Old 02-12-2006, 09:32 PM
C32AMG

I cant decide between the RS4 18SS and NTC3.

But when I race my cars tires alone are about 1k per set and they go fast. So I have to make a choice soon.

I also have a Vette w/ Vortech Charger running 8.5psi. good for about 625hp.
As you can see I dont have a preference for American, German or Japanese cars.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:29 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

C32...if you're not planning on actually RACING...I think you'd probably be best served wtih the RS4 18SS. the engine is more than potent.

just get the tallest gearsets HPI offers for it for top end...and if the power isn't enough, an OS .18CV-RX will bolt directly in.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:42 PM
TRD_Lex_IS300

Come race my Lexus or Impala have a post with the Impala on here somewhere. I would go for an HPI if I were you, great and fast cars! many aftermarket parts!
Old 02-12-2006, 11:49 PM
C32AMG

RS4 18SS it is. By the way what gears would you recommend for top speed and still decent accelartion. thanks for the help.

I'll start building it once I finish the Savage 4.6SS (waiitng on some parts)
Old 03-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Wild Doogie

Good Day,

Did you get a car yet?

I have a Mugen MRX3 Osaka #87 still in the kit (in bags) with a OPS .21 Onroad motor and extras for $550.00 if you are interested? I can send you pics.....

[email protected]

Thanks, Wild Doogie