Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

HELP Please - Poor brakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 11:59 AM
AcID ZeR0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Please - Poor brakes!!

I recently picked up this car for £40 about $90.

Anyway the brakes are really really useless to say the least just doesn't do much at all, I've tried various setups in the way of adjusting the linkages etc, but nothing seems to do the trick, the discs I think are infact cork lol.

Is this why the brakes are so crap? if so would any steel brake disc fit on it, it's a 1/6th Protech.

If you would, please take a look at the attached pic so you know what I'm talking about. Excuse the crap on it just took it for a bash down my alley.
BTW: Brakes were poor before I covered it in crap lol.

Is there anything I can do to revive the current setup?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89275.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	406766  
Old 02-12-2006, 01:27 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP Please - Poor brakes!!

It is likely that the disk and pads have "glazed over" over time, and have now lost their bite because of this. Basically the friction between the surfaces polishes them, and they stop working.

You will need to completely disassemble the brake assembly and get to the individual pads and disc. With some fine sandpaper you want to remove the glaze and restore a nice rough surface. This may take a while if the pads are steel, so maybe try using a dremel with a grinding bit or something similar. Either way, be sure to not remove too much material from the disc, as this will probably make the brakes worse.

I doubt the disk is cork, it's probably some type of composite fibre material (i have a similar flexible "cork looking" disk on my monster truck). You may be able to find a replacement disc, although probably only those produced for that and identical scale vehicles will fit.

To improve the braking further you'll also want to get the linkage set perfectly and make sure the disc/pads stay as clean and dry as possible (use break cleaner to remove gunk)

P.s £40 is a bargain, even if the brakes are rubbish.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:21 PM
AcID ZeR0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP Please - Poor brakes!!

Cheers mate going to have a crack at it today, it is indeed a bargain. goes pretty well too .21 engine.
Will do what you said tonight and report back, the site offer carbon brake discs for £5 so I might go for them too.

Cheers!