Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

HPI 18SS wont start??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 01:30 AM
DTMsurf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI 18SS wont start??

O.K. I finished the kit and the motor felt basically frozen. I heated it up with a blow dryer and the motor will turn but I couldnt get it to start. I put a new glow plug in and the spring on the pull start broke. I have a new pull start on it now and the motor turns like it should when I pull it but it just wont start. I have tried it with the throttle almost closed (at idle) I have tried it with the carb 1/4 open like the instructions said but nothing, I have tried it all the way open and still nothing. I know it is getting fuel because when I take the air filter off there is nitro in the carb. When I pull the glow plug it looks pretty wet too. It feels like its flooding but even with the throttle almost fully closed it wont start. I have tried two different glow plug ignightors as well. It doesnt studder or pop or anything. I could use some new suggestions as Im getting pretty frustrated.

Thanks for any help
Old 02-18-2006, 04:09 AM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HPI 18SS wont start??

Put a little nitro in the carb, it works for me. Is this the first time you ran your car since the summer? You might have to re-tune it.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:46 AM
DTMsurf

I tried putting nitro directly into the carb and that didnt work. The car has never been run, its brand new.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:05 AM
bozla

ORIGINAL: DTMsurf

I tried putting nitro directly into the carb and that didnt work. The car has never been run, its brand new.
Take the glow plug out and put the glow plug in the glow plug starter. Does it glow red hot? I put a crappy battery in my first glow plug starter when i first started and it didn't warm the plug properly. Check that first.

nb. always be conservative with the carb when running in (rich rich rich!), and try to run it under load (i.e. running on the road, not the stand) for 3-5 tanks. Don't let the tank run dry either, or it'll suddenly run lean when you run out of gas and go mental! You might bust the engine!
Old 02-18-2006, 11:28 AM
DTMsurf

I have pulled the glow plug and checked it out of the car. It will light up all the way except the very last coil. The guy at my LHS said that meant is was no good so I bought two new ones. When I checked the two new ones at home they did the same thing so I am guessing that is just how they work. I will go pull the one out of my Savage now to see if it lights all the way through the last coil.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:40 AM
DTMsurf

Well the glow plug in my Savage does not light the final coil just like the ones for the 18SS and my Savage runs great. I guess that is just how they look out of the combustion chamber. I am going to take it to my LHS today to see if they can get it started.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:54 AM
bozla

I dont know a lot about glow plugs but what are you running? It does seem strange that fuel is going in, the glow plug is hot and it won't start. Is your head gasket ok? Is there any fuel leaking out of the sides of the cylinder head whe you pull the starter?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:59 AM
DTMsurf

ORIGINAL: bozla

I dont know a lot about glow plugs but what are you running? It does seem strange that fuel is going in, the glow plug is hot and it won't start. Is your head gasket ok? Is there any fuel leaking out of the sides of the cylinder head whe you pull the starter?
This is what I am starting to think the problem is. Sometimes it will seep fuel out of somewhere and it maybe the seal on the head. I am going to take it off and check it out.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:02 PM
bozla

Well, the head gasket is cheap and easy to replace. Make sure the cylinder head is on tight first.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:05 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fiddle with your HSN slowly. "It works for me"
Old 02-18-2006, 12:08 PM
bozla

Whats hsn? high screw needle?
Old 02-18-2006, 12:31 PM
DTMsurf

ORIGINAL: bozla

Whats hsn? high screw needle?
high speed needle,

It wasnt the head gasket, I pulled the head, checked it and put it back on. Its sealed up well.

Woould you recommend leaning out the HSN or richening it??
Oh, Im using McCoy 59
Old 02-18-2006, 02:50 PM
DTMsurf

O.K. so here is what happened at the hobby shop,
1st hobby store- Guy says its REALLY flooded and he flushes all the fuel out. He tries adjusting the carb but cannot get it to turn over. He says there is something wrong with the motor, it is just flooding instantly when you try to start it. Basically saying the compression is too high, the seal is too tight. He says call HPI on monday and see what they will do.

2nd hobby store (where I bought it)- guy tries to start it and it floods. He says it WILL start that the motor is just tight because it is new. He leans both needles way out. He flushes all the fuel out and disconnects the fuel tank. It starts Finally!!! then when he tries to start it again he brakes the pull starter. That is the second pull start already. He says leave it with him and he will run the break in fuel through it for me and I can pick it up tomorrow. I am happy about this because I was just about ready to "fix" this car with a hammer, if you know what I mean. He was taking another pull start off the shelf when I left.

It was nice to finally here the car start, even though it only ran for about a second. I was not looking forward to trying to get this warrantied from HPI.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:02 PM
markpc

HPI do an electric starter (not sure whether it fits the 18) it replaces the pullsarter in minutes. It is great if you are having satrting problems you just insert the starter into the hole push a button and away the engine spins (much faster than a pullstart). Have not got a clue how moch it is where you are but they are well worth the investment.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:06 PM
tron_23

i have the 18ss also and when i was trying to brake it in the pinch was tight...try heating it up with a blow dryer and have the glow plug a bit loose and see how that works for you.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:24 PM
SqueedilySpooch

lol he alrdy tried that, it was just the mixture settings...Im sure its in good hands and i hope he enjoys it