Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Mounting up a 2.5 in an RS4

Old 02-27-2006, 01:30 PM
nickrummy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting up a 2.5 in an RS4

Ok before everyone gets their panties in a bunch please just read.

I recently received an RS4 evo a few weeks back. Sweet little car and a blast to drive. I'm not going to race at all. Looking for a fast basher. I love tinkering and modding the crap out of stuff. Well the car was raced by the previous owner and the engine is on its way out.

Now like anyone, I'm wanting the car to go faster. I however, don't want to shove a ton of cash into this thing. My friend had a 2.5 sitting around out of a nitro rustler and said I could have it. I took him up on the offer. My logic behind this is, if I can get this 2.5 to bolt up into the RS4 I'll be able to trade it in for the 3.3 and have a quick little car. Of course I'm sure i'll have to do some drive train upgrades but that's not a biggy.

My questions are has it been done yet? (the 2.5 in a RS4 that is) I have the car torn apart. I have the 2 speed clutch bell mounted up on the 2.5. It looks like it will fit however there's going to need to be some major throttle linkage redesign since the 2.5 is a slide carb. It's REALLY close to the center gear housing too. I'm not to worried about the linkage yet though. I want to get the motor mounted with the gear mesh right before getting to far ahead of myself. Will the universal HPI engine mounts fit the 2.5? It'd be nice if I don't have to make engine mounts. I checked at the LHS and they didn't have any of the HPI motor mounts to try out.

Last thing that might be tricky is the exhaust port on the 2.5 exits over the pullstart and would be exiting the back of the car. Anyone know of a good header to use? I'm undecided whether i'll try and run the exhaust out of the back (or if i'll have room) or if i'll have to bend the header to get the side exit to work.

If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. I have pics if they need to be posted also. I usually don't have a problem machiningg/fabbing parts if that is a recommendation also.

Thanks, Nick
Old 02-27-2006, 01:49 PM
speedracer1129

Default RE: Mounting up a 2.5 in an RS4

wolfpack radicals makes a hpi unversal motor mount. we use them to mount .21 on our racer 2's!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:55 PM
nickrummy

These ones?

[link=http://www.wolfpackradicals.com/html/motor_mounts.html]HPI motor mounts[/link]
Old 02-27-2006, 08:18 PM
C3Racing
My Feedback: (1)

OMG[X(] That thing is going to haul Azzzzzz .. Post a vid when you get done..
Old 02-28-2006, 09:28 AM
speedracer1129

no nick. they are the adjustable type
Old 02-28-2006, 10:36 AM
nickrummy

Ok, another try...

[link=http://www.wolfpackradicals.com/html/adj__m___mound.html]These ones?[/link]
Old 02-28-2006, 04:28 PM
speedracer1129

those should workthis is so you can line up clutxh bell properly
Old 02-28-2006, 04:33 PM
nickrummy

gotcha. thanks! I don't think i'll pay that much for a couple little pieces of aluminum but it gives me a good idea of how you guys are mounting them up.