Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

new car with brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 01:05 PM
apples24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new car with brake problem

hiya picked up a thinder tiger today not sure which model but it is more of a off road car really, has 2 speed a pro 15 engine and the exhaust exits on the right (if your looking at rear of car) most thunder tigers i see exit the other side? also this one is shaft drivern not belt driven

anyways if the brake is applied it does stop the disk but the shaft itself will still turn?
Old 03-11-2006, 01:37 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new car with brake problem

If the disc itself stops but the shaft still turns then it is most likely one of two things.

Either the centre of the disc has worn away, and is now spinning on it's mount...

OR... The small pin, which secures the brake mount to the shaft has come out, allowing the disc & mount to simply slip on the shaft. (this is the more probable)

Any further description of the car/buggy itself? Maybe a photo? I'm intruiged as to what it could be!
Old 03-11-2006, 01:46 PM
apples24

yes the disk slots onto a mount, the mount spins also so what you say is probable, done a little research on ebay i think its a thunder tiger SSR

i removed the shaft and gears etc but couldnt find a damn allen key to take the bits off the shaft lol so i put it back togerther again untill get some proper tools for the job

so i have to go to my model shop then and find a pin to fit?

i suppose it will be self explanitory were the pin go's when i take it to bits?
Old 03-11-2006, 02:17 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, you shouldn't need to buy a new pin, just make one! You will need a pin the same size - diameter and length - as the pin which the hex wheel adaptor sits on. If you have a small allen key of the correct diameter - or near it - you can cut off the end with a dremel and use that. The allen key will still work, it'll just be a bit shorter.

Or, if you don't have any allen keys lying around just find something else which you can use. A small section of a metal coathanger should work. Just use your imagination and you'll find something.

I'll find a manual of the SSR and check that the pin is what i think it is (should be the same brake design as the TS-4)

(EDIT) Found a manual for the SSR here> http://www.thundertiger-europe.com/d...anuals.98.html but it's in german. From what i can make out the brake is located next to the spur gear. Square internal mount for the disc. It may be different - only disassembling the thing will show what you need to fix.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:26 PM
apples24

ahh yes thankyou as soon as i get a allen key ill take it apart, ive also got two ts4n's too lol, oh and a rs4 evo, time for ebay me thinks

thanks for taking the time to reply