Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

MORE POWER!!! The myth(as I see it)

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

MORE POWER!!! The myth(as I see it)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Bluebrew
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MORE POWER!!! The myth(as I see it)

Everybody wants FAST! Bigger and bigger engines on tiny cars. I guess it's human nature, and I've been there too, but I have come to my senses. I've had very decent handling, quick and responsive cars that I thought would be even better with MORE POWER! So I go and spend large coin for some monster mill only to find out I've transformed a good car into an uncontrollable p.o.s.!You might think I would have learned from that experience but no, I've done it again and again. I don't care if you have magnetic tires on a steel deck, once you cross the lets say 45mph line, you no longer have a r/c car, you have a missile, an unguided one at that! Ya aint gonna stop it, ya aint gonna turn it, all you can do is lift and hope for the best.(the best being only a couple endos and a few parts scattered about) I'm not bustin' on people who like speed, sure it's a rush, but it's pretty much a straight line thing like a dragster not a road car. Of course we all know that a bigger engine WON'T make your car go faster but WILL get to your redline quicker.(while looping out and bouncing off curbs and chucking dogbones and such) In my opinion(all this ranting is my opinion only) the sweetest set-up is an engine matched to the chassis so you can actually drive it like it is a part of you. All the cars I've messed up in the past I've changed back to more sane power, and it's nice to have the old fun back again! I wrote this not so much to vent but to maybe make a "noob" think twice before doing something that might cost a bunch, and may regret later. Of course MT's and truggies are a totally different story!(a little insight; yes, I am an old fart!)
Old 03-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Nitro Fumes

Default RE: MORE POWER!!! The myth(as I see it)

Yes, if you can't control the power, you are just waisting it. In my early days of the hobby when I got into 1/8 gas with an Associated RC 500 I had a K & B 21 while other guys had more powerful Piccos. That was in 1983. I remember one race where I was able to drive all over the infield smoothly while this other guy was punching it and slamming boards. I pulled 3/4 of a lap on him at at every lap. Then by the time I was at the end of the main straight he would be blasting down it and almost catching up to me. Then the cycle would repeat on the next lap. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race. I should add everyone else had dropped out of the race as they kept breaking (not braking) their cars. Maybe if they did more braking they wouldn't have been breaking their cars. But as I got to be a more skillful driver I was able to handle more power, but I know how to use the throttle. For some people they use it like a light switch. Full on or off.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:25 PM
pho8nix

MATE i lovvvve your style of racing. I was thinking the same damm way you were i was at one point looking at putting a pro 70bx motor ( the same one in the thundertiger monster truck) and putting it into my inferno mp7.5 buggy. Or the CEN 5HP monster into it. But i stopped because i throught mmmmm diffs and dogbones dont they f them selves up i would need some titanium gears or something strong enough.

Yes gears theres a question what problems did you get with the over powered cars? Diffs as i said above or something else.
You see i am still thinking on doing what i said above because i want to be unique and different from the others out there and i want a car that WILL roar with the pull of a cord.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe,, only time will tell...
Old 03-12-2006, 07:30 PM
snakecharmer89

If you can control the power, go for it. All in the driver skills.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:41 PM
livindead

some times it just feel good to have just stupid amounts of power to grab on to...now if i were a serious racer than its not all about power ....but handelablity and smooth matters
Old 03-13-2006, 03:05 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

very true on teh "bigger motor=more speed" thing, but the "after 45 mph, you cant control it" thing.....well that just depends on teh driver and teh way the vehicle is set-up, i.e. tires, suspension, ground clearance adn things like that. u might have been sarcastic bout the "45mph" part but im just giving my .02 cents!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:54 PM
ragamuffin

Power is nothing without control.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:40 AM
JustxOnce
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: ragamuffin

Power is nothing without control.

Exactly.............
Old 03-15-2006, 04:58 PM
bobcat7811

I try to tell this to all the new guys in our town. Most have more money than sense and feel they need to constantly buy upgrades. I tell them that when they start buy fuel not upgrades to go faster. The more wheel time the faster you will go. Just my opinion though.