RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Powerful RS4

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:14 AM
badboy_cdhac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerful RS4

Hey guys

I want to buy a new engine for my rs4 rtr3, anyways iv got a 15SS at the moment and I want something with alot of power, probly a 18ss or a os.18 cvr any idea on any "more" powerful engines that these and which might be better out of these two.

,cheers
Old 07-21-2006, 01:24 AM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Powerful RS4

well fi you want the absolute most powerful small block engine that drops in, it would be an O.S. MAX .18TZ it is a rear exhaust engine and you would nead to purchase a rear exhaust header to fit the existing system, but it has 2.28 hp (crazy!) and would probably snap a few drivetrain parts if your not careful

also i have ran both the 18ss and the os 18 cv-r, the 18ss is a good engine, it revs higher than the OS, and when modified it can give out some serious power and torque, the OS has good power from the factory, good torque, great low end torque and top end pull, but it doesnt rev as high as the 18ss does, i modified mine and it is now a screamer of an engine, its super easy to start and tune which is always a plus, hope this helps
Old 07-21-2006, 05:10 AM
badboy_cdhac

Where did you get 2.28hp from?

Displacement: 0.183 cu in (3.0 cc)
Bore: 0.629 in (16.0 mm)
Stroke: 0.590 in (15.0 mm)
Practical RPM: 3000-34,000
Output: 1.8 hp @ 29,000 rpm
Old 07-21-2006, 06:29 AM
Josh222

OS underrated that engine big time, the dyno tests resulted in the 2.28hp. I would not recomend that, the 15ss isn't a very fast motor so something like a cvr 18 would be perfect and its cheap at about 110 usd
Old 07-21-2006, 11:18 AM
hpi apollo

"In a recent dyno test for an upcoming issue of RC Nitro Magazine, the new O.S. 18TZ rear-exhaust engine cranked out a record setting 2.28 bhp at 30,500 rpm. Steve Pond, R/C Nitro magazine"

os is known for under rating their engines, i like my cv-r, it was a direct drop in with no problems, started easy the first time and best fo all, it was cheap
Old 07-21-2006, 11:34 PM
p01rogue

what mods did you do to the 18SS?
ORIGINAL: hpi apollo

well fi you want the absolute most powerful small block engine that drops in, it would be an O.S. MAX .18TZ it is a rear exhaust engine and you would nead to purchase a rear exhaust header to fit the existing system, but it has 2.28 hp (crazy!) and would probably snap a few drivetrain parts if your not careful

also i have ran both the 18ss and the os 18 cv-r, the 18ss is a good engine, it revs higher than the OS, and when modified it can give out some serious power and torque, the OS has good power from the factory, good torque, great low end torque and top end pull, but it doesnt rev as high as the 18ss does, i modified mine and it is now a screamer of an engine, its super easy to start and tune which is always a plus, hope this helps
Old 07-21-2006, 11:57 PM
hpi apollo

well if your getting an .18 sized engine, then i would suggest the os 18 cv-rx not the 18ss unless you want all out top speed

and on the 18ss, i just took a carbide bit with a dremel and did extensive sleeve porting, added a few more degrees of exhaust duration into the sleeve port (yes i did grind into the chrome, it worked but dont do it) i ground down the head button as flat as i could to increase volume in the cylinder and rounded off the edges to allow for better flow over the plug, i skirted the piston about 1.5-2.0mm, knife edged the con rod sharp so it cuts throguh the air fuel mixture easily, then i went to the crank opening by the rod and ground it out to where it was liek a scoop and rounded the edges off for better flow, and i also went to the crank opening from the carb, rounded things off there so it wasnt all square, and added a few more degrees of intake duration, also on the header i port matched it with the exhaust opening from the engine for a smooth transit from engine to pipe, it runs pretty srong, has lots of power and revs really high, but the power is limited since it uses a tiny bore carb

i have done all that to the OS except the head button grinding and grinding into the chrome, but on the OS i also ran a very tiny drill bit through the oil hole since it was only about 0.5mm wide, i opened it up to maybe 0.7mm for better oiling of the bushing, the os runs strong and has great power, starts up really easily and tunes super nicely