Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

4-tec really hitting 70?

Old 09-25-2006, 11:13 AM
LunchBoxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4-tec really hitting 70?

Did I say the 80 mph Jatos were stock 3.3 ?
Old 09-25-2006, 12:02 PM
swerv512

that video looked more like 50mph... mAYBE!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:10 PM
nitrohead5300

RCCA only got 67 mph out of their Jato running 33% nitro.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:23 PM
rushrtr3
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: LunchBoxx

No they are getting over 70mph out of TRX 2.5 and over 80mph out of the TRX 3.3, the .21 guys just do it to say they have a .21 in there Jato.

Did I say the 80 mph Jatos were stock 3.3 ?
They are sock in the engine department and that those engines as tested by RC Car action aren't able to reach those speeds even with alternate gearing.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:41 AM
LunchBoxx

Yeah they are, trust me boys down here do not claim, they only state facts. The only way you will here someone say they have a 80mph Jato is if they have used more than one radar gun to confirm it.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 AM
LunchBoxx

And in case if you are wondering you can tell if an engine has been modified without taking the case apart, and with no visible signs on the block(the modifiers initials or trade mark).
Old 09-28-2006, 07:53 PM
jnev

at the hobby shop I work at we radared a jato 3.3 at 64mph (ran out of room, it could have gone faster). I have no doubt in my mind that the 4tec 3.3 could easily hit 70, if not more. this was on 20% nitro btw.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:53 PM
tntlilpimp

I am sorry to disappoint all you traxxas guys but dont be trying to mess with schumacher it is the best fastest car on the road right now I have my fusion with a .26 in it right now and I top out at 80 mph with low speed gearing I would literaly kill a traxxas 4 tec and no you cant fit a 3 speed in a 4 tec that would just be stupid you would have to do so much drillign it woudnt even be funny.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Wow, this thread really took off. I am mostly a plane guy and havn't checked this forum much. I do have a Nitro TC3 plus. I think i am hitting between 50-60 depending on weather. BTW, 60 going down hill, LOL. Anyway, i asked the question because in my experience an engine revs less as it gets bigger and i would think only acceleration would increase. Hek, my TC3 takes off like a absolute rocket, i seriously can't imagine accelerating that much faster. Plus, to really hit those high speeds, especialy after 45-50, takes an extra 200 ft. By that time the car is a little spec on the horizon.

BTW, if you really want to go over 80, by a jet turbine and slap it on a TC3 chasy, lol!!!!.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:53 PM
rushrtr3

True bigger engines don't tend to wind out as high of rpms as the smaller ones do but the kill in torque and power making it possible to run taller gearing in turn cancling out the difference in rpm with smaller engines.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:16 AM
str8lineracer

whats up i got a nitro 4-tec down here in alabama with a o.s.tz.18 and custom gearing i was clocked at 75 mph yesterday
Old 10-03-2006, 11:19 AM
LunchBoxx

Schumacher's are over rated yeah you can go 80 mph but you need half a mile to do it. I am talking over 80 mph in 250 feet or less.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Pburlic

I have a nitro 4-tec 3.3 and its nick name is the beast, iv been clocked all stock by police radar gun on a street just the other night 72MPH this car rocks the only upgrade i have is HPI X-tread tires, there the only tires that will make this car stick to the ground. this engin has so much low end mid and hi end power its truly is amazing, my buddy has the 2.5 and the 3.3 the 2.5 looses every time by at least 7-10 car lenths off the start and at top speed, the 3.3 is a work of art, i love this car the only thing i want to change is the shocks, the stock ones cant handle what this car can do.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:27 PM
rawkfist2

WOW. ive been reading. Im done haha. I want to go out to a drag strip when there closed on weekends. And try clocking it! I want to clock my RS4 with OS 18CV-R
Old 10-17-2006, 08:35 AM
nitrohead5300

Schumacher's are over rated yeah you can go 80 mph but you need half a mile to do it. I am talking over 80 mph in 250 feet or less.
Lunchbox do you have a video of these jato's doing 80mph??
Old 10-27-2006, 04:56 AM
Ferrarif50f1

Hey I just want to tell you guys that the 3.3 4-tec is quick stock I've had 4-tecs since the first one that came out and I know them inside and out they are really good cars specially the new one... Now let me explain alot of things that people don't know about the new 3.3 the new 3.3 has bigger first gear and second gear (accelaration ratio), (not the clutch bell gears...) and has the front and rear belt pullets bigger to compensate on that... what does this do? well, let me explain the old 4-tec 2.5 has the smallest first and second gears (top speed ratio) traxxas makes out of the box so that means that you cannot make the car go faster unless you put a more high reving engine... Now the 3.3 4-tec actually comes with the acceleration gears the car can do 0-70 mph in an out standing 4.2 seconds!!! I have a video that I can post here later meassured by a G-tech pro rr!!! the 4.2 sec is still with the weight of the G-tech pro on top of the car the whole run. Now with a radar gun without the g-tech pro on top of the car and stop watch, gun the throttle for 3.5 sec and let go and the radar will read 71 mph!!! now if you want to leterally smoke a so called fusion .21 car simply change the "acceleration gears" for the "top speed gears" from the old 2.5 4 tec and you'll get a 0-86mph in about 4.6 sec but you'll need to take stock rear wing off the body as it simply makes a ton of downforce at does speeds and will not reach 86 maybe just about 78mph if you really want even more than that well just simply keep the gears of the old 2.5 4 tec in your 3.3 and drop in a nice RB .23 that is used on the T-maxx it has more torque and will get you to top speed even quicker that the 3.3 motor... IT WOULD BE NICE IF THE 4 TEC HAD 3 GEARS BUT IT STILL KICKS FUSION .21 ASS. Now to RUSHRTR3. My friend has a RS4 with the same O.S .18 you got and he's a literally a JOKE to the 3.3 4-tec when it comes to speed and accelaration but boy I love the braking system the rs4 has.... by the way before some one talks **** my 3.3 does have and needs FOAM TIRES to stay glued to the ground. The stock tires are like if you were racing on ICE (they suck ass) the tests i posted here were done with the hardest compund FOAM tires. they will last longer and have a really great grip!!!

By the way my Jato 3.3 stock can reach no more than 72 mph but it takes time and space but it really does the 0-65 in 4.0 seconds and can even do wheelies at top end speed simply bend the rear wing forward to about 90 degress at that speed 60-65 mph the jato will literally gets off the four tires leaving just the wheelie bar touching the ground for about 2 seconds!!! crazy ****!!! Jato fans try it out!!!
Old 10-27-2006, 06:31 PM
rushrtr3

I clocked my RS4 with the OS 18 at 59.6mph and it only took me 2.6 seconds to get there. I understand that the 3.3 kicks out some serious power but I still think the OS 18 has more.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:44 PM
buckmaster119
Banned

ok, well to start. The 4-tec 3.3 can go 70mph or more, traxxas wouldnt lie about how fast it would go, and an other thing if your guys jato 3.3 can go above 60mph your right but no more than 70mph but if your jato is going slower than 60mph you need to learn how to drive or how to break in the motor i have a nitro rustler with a 2.5r motor and it can go 59mph now if that motor is out running the new 3.3 with 40% more power than the 2.5 than someone doing something wrong.

Traxxas Nitro Rustler 2.5r, Traxas T-Maxx, HPI Micro RS4 and soon enough Traxxas Nitro 4-Tec 3.3
Old 10-28-2006, 08:02 AM
nitrohead5300

Ferrarif 501F1 .... a Fusion was clocked at 75mph in a review in car action a couple years ago by Steve Pond, that is 4 mph faster than your 4 tech . So the 4-tec does not kick the Fusions but. But I do like your idea about putting a RB .23 in a 4-tech that would challenge a Fusion.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:13 AM
Ferrarif50f1

well first of all Buckmaster119 you are totally right maybe they don't know how to drive them or break them in and specially they don't know how to TUNE them.

NitroHead5300 yeah they tested the fusion .21 a couple years ago when the 3.3 wasn't out and it's top speed was to be exact 67mph STOCK. The car can go over that but you have to change the gearing for top speed... and now that loses to the 4-tec cause out the box STOCK the 4-tec will do well over 73mph. Like I said earlier you can now change the 4-tec gearing for top speed and with the 3.3 motor you can get well over 85+mph the fusion .21 in the other hand with top speed gears will do the 75mph or lets just say 80mph and anybody that knows about those cars with stock motor and top speed gearing it takes a very long street to get 80mph.

Rushrtr3 my 4-tec with 3.3 with accelaration gears will do 0-65mph in 2.78 sec... Yes your motor has more power but your car has an all metal (aluminum) drive line including differentials, and shafts this creates friction and reduces power to the wheels and even worse when a shaft is a lil bent you lose a TON of HP to the wheels, compared to the 4-tec's drive line is made of belts and plastic keeping friction down to a minimum.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:00 AM
nitrohead5300

Ferrarif50f1 people are making all these outragious claims about how fast their nitro 4-techs are with no proof. People are claiming that their Jato's are doing doing 70 plus mph while RCCA only radared it at 67 mph. I refered to that article as proof that the Fusion has hit over 70mph. I think I will wait for RCCA review of the Nitro 4 -tech before I believe all these speed claims. You are saying the same thing that Cen is saying fastest box stock !! That is a cop-out only a person who lacks tuning skills and creativity leaves their car box stock. My Fusion is not box stock and it does not take all day for it to top out. A Fusion with mods similar to the ones I have done to my fusion with a Novarossi .21 motor was clocked by RC Nitro mag at 88mph. I have been clocked at 92 mph by a sheriff. If you want that nitro 4-tech to really run drop a modified Novarossi .21 in there with the top-end speed gears now that would be a serious combination. My objective with any car is to get it to perform at its true speed and handling potential , that means building on its platform and modifiying I never leave a car completly stock. If it is proven that a stock nitro4-tech can do 70 mph then that proves it has potential for a good drag car with some modifications. But it is not gonna handle too well because it center of gravity is so high with the reciever battery pack setting on top like it is on the radio tray. I know what I am talking about because I had a nitro 4-tech pro when they first came out it was great going in a straight line but sucked in the turns I changed shock oil , springs , droop adjusted the ball diff none of it made any difference until I relocated the battery pack beneath the radio tray on the side by the muffler. I used a extra 5 cell flat battery pack from an onroad 1/8 scale car. It helped and so did the foam tires but it never handled as well as my other 1/10 scale onroad cars . The 4-tech design is in dire need of an upgrade , they put in a new motor but they need to lower the center of gravity on the chassis put laydown shocks on the chassis true pivot ball suspension, lighter diffs and make it easier to work on by reducing the amount of screws.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:46 AM
rushrtr3

ORIGINAL: Ferrarif50f1

Yes your motor has more power but your car has an all metal (aluminum) drive line including differentials, and shafts this creates friction and reduces power to the wheels and even worse when a shaft is a lil bent you lose a TON of HP to the wheels, compared to the 4-tec's drive line is made of belts and plastic keeping friction down to a minimum.
With a properly shimmed driveline along with complete CV shafts throughout and a one way ball diff in the front and ceramic ball berings throughout, I have a hard time believing the stock 4-teck rolls better than mine. And no I've never bent a drive shaft, must be cause there 4mm thick!
Old 10-30-2006, 06:54 PM
buckmaster119
Banned

ok, well if you dont tihnk the stock 4-tec rolls better than you than what is your car? cause if its some modified car with a new motor other than the stock motor you bought it with then you need to get a clue, stock 4-tec vs. ur modified car,modified cars usually beat stock cars easily because well their modified... now if oyu take a modified 4-tec vs. ur modified car, fairer match. But if your just saying that there is no way that a stock traxxas nitro 4-tec can beat you modified car or even stock car then you have never had a traxxas or raced one...

ORIGINAL: rushrtr3

With a properly shimmed driveline along with complete CV shafts throughout and a one way ball diff in the front and ceramic ball berings throughout, I have a hard time believing the stock 4-teck rolls better than mine. And no I've never bent a drive shaft, must be cause there 4mm thick!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 PM
rushrtr3

I work at a hobby shop and all we sell is traxxas so I've seen every car they've made. I've raced a 4-tech with a 2.5r and I could beat him all day around the track and it was pretty even when it came to a drag race. Now i've seen and driven the 3.3 and yes if you could keep the thing in a straight line it would beat most modifides right out of the box, but in my opinion traxxas made a bad move by putting that kind of horse power in a car that can't handle it. They should have spent more time redesigning the car to handle better. And the way I interpreted it was that my car (modified), wasn't as efficient as a stock 4-tech.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

Well to add some laughter to the convo when I get done with my rc18t It will smash four tecs, that is if my Nitro tc3 doesn't first.LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.