Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

I broke my engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 05:36 AM
rchammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I broke my engine

It just died, so I took it apart and this is what I saw. Completely shagged!!

Have a look
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72923.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	533154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74632.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	533155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42874.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	533156  
Old 10-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Saboteur10573

Default RE: I broke my engine

YIKES! [X(][X(] What motor is that?
Old 10-01-2006, 07:19 AM
rchammer

Hi,

it was a Toki .18 outlaw engine from HOT Products comes standard with an SG crank, boost bottle, pre-tapped pressure fitting, slide carb, and
oversized blue anodized cooling head. Made in Japan by a Toki , 40,000 RPM.

I think I was running it too lean.

Check it out when running, it flew in my GS Vision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyldwz-p-R4

Old 10-01-2006, 09:26 AM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u run that with out a filter???? ive broke rods and pistons but only becuase of my port jobs............ive never left a motor that black like that................
Old 10-01-2006, 09:38 AM
rchammer

Always ran with an oiled filter. The copper bits on the pidton are from the con rod copper sleeve. When I first got the engine it was very tight and ran it in using old school (3 tanks rich idle) which probably stressed the con rod, should have used heat cycling method.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Saboteur10573

NEVER EVER do a break in like that again. That 3 tanks idling is BULLCRAP. Anyone who tells you to do that doesn't deserve to run an engine. It's the worst treatment you can do to your motor. The heat cycling method is by far the most used and best method. Running rich through out break induced early wear n tear on the engine.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Rs43EVOman

thats not the way you break in an engine, heres the steps that ive learned from an expert in this game (Legend Ron pari's old assistant)

1. Start engine with wheels off ground, run it slightly higher then idle until it gets up to temp. Once it gets to temp shut it off and make sure the piston is at BDc (bottom of its stroke). LET the engine completely cool (ALL THE WAY TO ROOM TEMP!) with the piston at BDC, repeat 3x
2. Now you can actually run the car, dont touch the needles at all, run the car never going past 1/2 (try to keep it under 1/4 throttle). Roll on + off the throttle, no sharp movements. Stop the car before it runs out of gas. Make sure the engine is getting to temp, you may have to block off a couple cooling heads with aluminum tape so it gets hot enough. After you shut down the engine put the piston at BDC, then let it COMPLETELY cool. repeat 7x
3. Now you do the same thing as 2. but before each time you run it you lean out the engine just a little bit (1/8th a turn of the needles). reapeat this until you have the engine running at 100%. Also make sure the engine is getting up to temps, but not too hot. This usually takes about 4 tanks for your engine to be running like it should. You now have a properly broken in engine.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:48 PM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...little to late for break in insturctions EVOman

how did you get so much black carbon buildup in your engine? you must have ran that thing relentlessly hard, extremely lean
Old 10-09-2006, 10:50 AM
jeremy12

To me it looks like it got really hot inside your motour because you can tell by what colour the metal is.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:18 PM
D-Nicest

Carbon build up is a sign of running the engine rich not lean. if it was run lean you would see discoloration on the piston, also it has to do with the fuel that you run. When i break in my engines I let it high idol for one tank, then I do about 8 to 10 more tanks of running it slighly rich on the ground, not letting the engine cut off. If the engine cuts off, it lets the metal inside the engine retract. You dont want that to happen during the break in process.