Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Cen CT5 vs. Traxxas nitro 4-tec 3.3

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Cen CT5 vs. Traxxas nitro 4-tec 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:11 PM
apflyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cen CT5 vs. Traxxas nitro 4-tec 3.3

Hi. I am interested in getting an onroad car. I already have a Traxxas jato but it just doesn't have the handling i want on the street. When i drive it onroad with street tires it runs with the front tires off the ground a little. This makes it wear out the front tires pretty fast and it also makes it hard to turn. you can only turn when it is going slow and off the gas and if you try to turn at full throttle it hardly turns. I am assuming that the onroad cars would be more firmly planted to the ground because they have extra downforce. Also, when i run my jato the tires kindof balloon out. i don't know exactly what to call it but they stretch out and they only wear in a small area. Would a street car's tires wear evenly and do they go through tires fast?

Thanks for the help
Old 11-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Mz

Default RE: Cen CT5 vs. Traxxas nitro 4-tec 3.3

yea, the jato is for dirt. i cant imagine that it would work too well on pavement.
an on-road car would be much better for on-road
and would you be using your car for racing or just WOT runs??
for racing, dont get traxxas. or any rtr(if racing competatively)
for WOT runs i would imagine the 3.3 would be good.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:54 PM
ford f150

if your jato wont turn at high speed then try lowering and or sofening the front suspension and tigtning the rear
Old 11-09-2006, 11:56 PM
ford f150

with a onroad car the tires dont balloon much but you still go through tires
Old 11-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Fast50

I just recently purchased the Traxxis 4-TEC w/3.3 and that car hauls butt!It handles very well and is and easy car to drive at top speed.It is a very fast accelerating car and can take a beating.I touched a few curbs when I spun out and it only scratched the body a little.
I also was going to buy the CEN becuase it supposedley is faster but the guy at the hobby store said parts ar more expensive and harder to find?Anyways they were both priced the same so I picked the 4-TEC.I'm very happy with this car!
Old 11-11-2006, 02:15 PM
apflyboy

I won't be racing competitevely because there aren't any road tracks near where i live. I am not sure what WOT means. I also have heard that the belts that drive the CT5 break. Is this common? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Fast50

WOT means (wide open throttle).Get the Traxxis the 3.3 has a ton of low end and will beat the CEN out of the hole for drag racing.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:25 PM
PLo

I saw a video from Traxxas of 3.3 it seems to go very fast I just didn't like the music w/it becuase you can't really hear the engine as loud. I saw a video from an amature videoographer on CT5 and man does it go fast this was w/out music and it was raw not like Traxxas comercial version. I love the speed and sound of the CT5 but just got back from my local hobby store and they also said the same thing it's hard to get parts and the wait for parts takes weeks to recieve them. He also mentioned that the engine isn't reliable. After hearing this and reading up on the 3.3 I might go with Traxxas. I feel better getting it from my local store and get good personal down the stree svc. I just don't like Traxxas pain jobs they all tend to look the same although the new 3.3 body isn't bad but still looks like the others i.e. T. Max etc... Does anyone know where I can get different bodies that would fit this chassis. Thanks
Old 11-27-2006, 06:35 PM
PLo

CT5 goes at 73.4 mph. Traxxas 3.3 goes 70+ meaning 72...so I hear. I think I'll take minus 3.4 mph less and get parts and svc. easilly from Traxxas. You menionted 4 Tec will beat CEN CT5 on long sprint? Did you race a CT5? I'm curriouse.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:10 PM
bbkoutlaw

I'm out it the Bay Area California and I got a CT5 and it smokes traxxas 3.3 low center gravity, turns ez at high speeds sounds and smells like a champ car parts i admit arent carried at my local hobby shop but i order them online threw a shop thats based in southern cali parts get to me in about 2 days setup is easy with the exploded view provided and manuel i'm a newbie but since i been bashing it up and down the street i'm learning all about setup of the car bought it for 319.00
Old 11-28-2006, 04:31 PM
ford f150

he right[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 11-29-2006, 03:46 AM
Timmahh
Banned

i agree, the CT5 is a killer car. alot of parts available via nitrohouse and a host of other online shops, that can get you parts in a few days. i have yet to blow a belt on my CT5, and i have about 4 gallons thru. best engine i ever delt with, the NX 15 is great. CEN CS is Top Notch imo... i looked very close at the then newest version the CT5 and the 4 tec 2.5r. no comparrison. CEN wins hands down.

for 350.00 usd rtr. its a deal. the Skion radio sucks suckatash, imho. but most rtr radios do. though Team Losi use JR controllers and their onroads are nice, id still buy the CEN CT5 and a better radio system. if your racing you cant use the .15 motor for roar and sanctioned races as they .12 limits, but you can run in any open and/or mod class. its a bit slower off the line, but only due to tuning, and tire spin. i can wot mine from a stand still and be drifting on a semi smooth surface. with the stock rubber tires.

i said it b4, if i bought my CT5 as my first nitro RC, id never of bought anything nitro other than CEN. the engine, car, and set up is well worth every penny.

Timmahh
Old 01-09-2007, 05:22 AM
hellbound161

i have a 4 tec and my freind has a cen ct5 and we race both cars and the 4 tec beat the crap in every way of the cen ct5 i say the cent does not realy do 73.5 it does more like 50 something mph. i would go with the 4 tec
Old 01-09-2007, 12:28 PM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: hellbound161

i have a 4 tec and my freind has a cen ct5 and we race both cars and the 4 tec beat the crap in every way of the cen ct5 i say the cent does not realy do 73.5 it does more like 50 something mph. i would go with the 4 tec
there is a lot more to that then you think as far as you beating your bud, set up, tuning and driver skills. Out of the box the CT5 will win every time over the 4tec. I read so much crap on this it will make your head spin. what car should someone buy is more a personal thing, the parts thing is a big one to think about.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:17 PM
[email protected]

www.ultimatehobbies.com has the cen ct5 for $279.95 free shipping. I think that's a great deal!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 PM
kenneth1969

ORIGINAL: bbkoutlaw

I'm out it the Bay Area California and I got a CT5 and it smokes traxxas 3.3 low center gravity, turns ez at high speeds sounds and smells like a champ car parts i admit arent carried at my local hobby shop but i order them online threw a shop thats based in southern cali parts get to me in about 2 days setup is easy with the exploded view provided and manuel i'm a newbie but since i been bashing it up and down the street i'm learning all about setup of the car bought it for 319.00
guys let me tell you traxxas 3.3 is a killer in a race I had the same problem with my ct5 if I had to start over ill pick the traxxas 3.3 I love cen cars but there deal is as cheap as it comes I must admit traxxas got cen for this year and cen got us all with that bull **** ct5 but its okay cause Im not giving up on CEN cars ill get me a new fast motor to blow traxxas 3.3 car away
Old 06-29-2007, 12:59 AM
CrazyMento

Traxxas will take the hole shot and CEN CT5 will catch up later. as far as everything else besdies drag race, CEN will win in all around performance, durability, track perfomrance, look, ....etc
Old 06-29-2007, 11:37 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually traxxas doesnt make a very competitive car. traxxas focauses around noobies and parking lot bashers. the 4-tec is desighned for high speed runs and durability as for cen, they focus around racing.

traxxas is fast off the line but common sence says that the cen will catch up as soon as the bulky 3.3 engine revvs out. having a bigger engine doesnt mean you will go faster, it just means you have more punch and more gearing ability. in fact the traxxas engine revvs out at 30k rpms where my cheipy force .12 redlines at a whopping 38krpms, this propelled my stock geared evader at a proven 42mph. (venom speed sensor) i am all out for mid range and top end speed.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:48 AM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

the CEN wouldn't catch up with mine. actual race, 1/4 mile, etc.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:15 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

maybe some of you CEN peeps can help this guy out.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6041210/tm.htm

im not sure of the engine placement, setup etc. didnt want to send him in the wrong direction.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:26 PM
kenneth1969

ORIGINAL: Shupid_one

actually traxxas doesnt make a very competitive car. traxxas focauses around noobies and parking lot bashers. the 4-tec is desighned for high speed runs and durability as for cen, they focus around racing.

traxxas is fast off the line but common sence says that the cen will catch up as soon as the bulky 3.3 engine revvs out. having a bigger engine doesnt mean you will go faster, it just means you have more punch and more gearing ability. in fact the traxxas engine revvs out at 30k rpms where my cheipy force .12 redlines at a whopping 38krpms, this propelled my stock geared evader at a proven 42mph. (venom speed sensor) i am all out for mid range and top end speed.
I dont know about you guys but Im into to speed str8 up because you're going to need a fast starting car to win any race and traxxas got cen by a block or 2 but its okay because Im not giving up on cen cars I just found my self a fast azz motor that will crash anything motor out there and as soon as I get this motor into my cen car then it will be the fastest thing on 4 wheels point blank [8D]
Old 05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Jr.Gayle

I just got a ct5 yesterday and its still not on the road yet. Its a little harder to tune for a newbie like me.
I would go for the 4tec. I have ran one for a couple days and it was so easy to use. It was easy to set up.
I feel I screwed myself on not getting one. But then again my ct5 is not tuned up right yet and maybe my mind will change when I go to the hobby shop later.

Just my 2cents.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:38 PM
CrazyMento

ORIGINAL: Jr.Gayle

I just got a ct5 yesterday and its still not on the road yet. Its a little harder to tune for a newbie like me.
I would go for the 4tec. I have ran one for a couple days and it was so easy to use. It was easy to set up.
I feel I screwed myself on not getting one. But then again my ct5 is not tuned up right yet and maybe my mind will change when I go to the hobby shop later.

Just my 2cents.
easy to use? you meant the TRX electric start? wait until that thing start to give you problem... buying a new one cuz you cant even fix it....
Old 05-12-2008, 03:19 AM
GYNAIKAS

Both CEN and 4-tec are good ONLY at one thing: top speed. Acceleration is another issue...I've seen FWs and RS4s with .18 engines and gearing of only 50-60mph to RIP 4-tecs when they come out of the last corner of the track to the big straight (and to be honest, my modified RS4 has done this several times!!!). 4-tec is faster than cen off the line. If you want something better than CEN and 4-tec get the fusion .28...faster than both of them but still gandling is poor. And for those who say that 4-tecs and CENs handle well I'd reccomend to try and drive an RS4, NTC3 or FW. They handle WAY better, they are more stable and fast too. But wait a moment aren't these shaft driven? Imagine what the real belt driven cars like hobao GPX4, tm G4s, RRR, NT1 can do!!! And I also have to say something else: Don't say that I don't like 4-tec CEN etc. I'm just speaking the truth, both CEN and 4-tec are good at what they are designed for: TOP SPEED. In that sector NO other RTR can beat them (except from fusion .28). But even the Kyosho fazer handles better than them!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:38 PM
slimshadydtwizzy

It's all how u set the car up, if you upgraded to Cens CT4-R than u'd have a race car,other than that it's still all about setup.The Traxxas is a cool RTR though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.