Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

PerPlexing engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Rs43EVOman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PerPlexing engine problem

ive been in this hobby for a long time (mainly off-road nitro racing), and ive had a couple problems with my old rs4 3evo, but ive eventually fixed it. But this is somthing on a completely different level. I ran the car a little bit to get the engine warmed up, it was running really rich so i leaned it out just a bit, and it was stillr unning a little rich, but im just messing around so im not going for all pout performance. i stop driving for a little bit, go back to start it up. And it just wont start. i know it wass tunned near perfectly so i know thats not the problem. The idle was also fine. The carb was opening fine, and the idle gap was spot-on. I checked the glow plug to see if that was the problem. it was fine, but i changed it any way. I switched glowigniter batteries even though they were fine. I put a fresh pack into my roto start. Dumped out the fuel in the tank, and put some fresh stuff in. I replaced all my fuel lines. i checked the whole car, and i couldnt see any other problems. And i just couldnt get the damn thing to start. After 1/2 hour of trying to start it. the closest i got to starting was a 1/2 second burst. then it shut off. that happened 1 other time. The engine is only a gallon old, and has plenty of compression. Ive checked just about verything possible, and it wont start. Could any of you guys shed some light on whats happening?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:27 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PerPlexing engine problem

how many gallon have you ran threw that engine?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:57 PM
ehroof

maybe the new plug is bad too?? i've had it happen.

maybe the carb has something inside clogging it? take apart and clean it
Old 11-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Timmahh
Banned

well heres my take, if it pretty much ran before the new tune, and only started this after you retuned. maybe your new Tune is leaner than it seems it is. i d richen the needles back to where you previosly started the new Tune, and pull the plug and empty out the cylinder ( if its by chance flooded ) with a few pulls while upsidedown. put the plug back in, and give it a shot. if it dont fire in a few pulls, re prime the motor and try again.

sometimes when it seems these engines are just about running perfect at one end, They SUCK at the other. chages with motor.location, how hard the wind is blowing east, and is differnt if its blowing west. richen the needles back up a bit and try again.

Timmahh
Old 11-29-2006, 08:59 PM
rawkfist2

Richen needles. Maybe overly leaned. And its a igniting issue. I would say your glow ignitor is not charging right or you glow plug is gone.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:06 PM
bennyblanco

do you have the fuel lines going the right way?
Old 11-30-2006, 06:47 AM
Rs43EVOman

its not over leaned. Ive been in this hobby long enough to know how to tune. Anyway i did tune it back to the way it was before, and i didnt get any closer to starting. as far as glowplugs. the one that was in the car was still perfectly fine (i tested it) but just in case i put in a new one (which i also tested, and it did fine). And savage .27 said "do you have the fuel lines going the right way" Im not quite sure what your asking. Sorry, but if your asking if I switched up the fuel lines. I would have to respond with To pull somthing of that stupidity off you would have to be down right stupid.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:24 AM
razzor

Check if there is something blocking the main needle ,I had similar problem at the nats ,was a sliver of fuel tubing stuck in the main needle assembly.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:50 AM
MiamizFinest

you never answer my question how many gallon's have you ran threw the engine??? also what engine is it?
Old 11-30-2006, 10:19 AM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: MiamizFinest

you never answer my question how many gallon's have you ran threw the engine??? also what engine is it?
he said the engine is only 1 gallon old
Old 11-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Rs43EVOman

yah, i said its only had like a gallon thrugh it, and its a t-15
Old 11-30-2006, 06:17 PM
MiamizFinest

yea i noticed OOOPPSSSSS i did not see that its a T-15??? man the engine could have so many thing wrong with it lord knows!!!! its just a update version of the .15FE the only diffrence is that the T-15 is actually ABC constucted while the .15FE wasn't if anything shoot me a PM im not sure if im goin to 107 or tropical park this sunday if anything let me know if u wanna go and ill help you out in person since explaning isnt one of my better skills
Old 11-30-2006, 06:24 PM
bennyblanco

everybody makes mistakes!!! my Friend put the fuel line backwards and its started just like you said for a few seconds and then it killed.
ORIGINAL: Rs43EVOman

its not over leaned. Ive been in this hobby long enough to know how to tune. Anyway i did tune it back to the way it was before, and i didnt get any closer to starting. as far as glowplugs. the one that was in the car was still perfectly fine (i tested it) but just in case i put in a new one (which i also tested, and it did fine). And savage .27 said "do you have the fuel lines going the right way" Im not quite sure what your asking. Sorry, but if your asking if I switched up the fuel lines. I would have to respond with To pull somthing of that stupidity off you would have to be down right stupid.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:48 PM
rawkfist2

Ill fix it if u wanna send it to me. Ill do it for free!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Rs43EVOman

then no offense but your freind is pretty damn forgetful, i mean reversing the fuel lines. I thought you were joking at first.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 PM
hpi apollo

i have done this on my savage, surprisingly i ran through about half a tank, and i couldnt figure out why in the world it was running rich yet it had randon lean spells
Old 12-01-2006, 06:48 AM
Rs43EVOman

How would the car even run like that? The fuel wouldnt be going into the carb.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Rs43EVOman

Im gonna take it dwon to my lHS,a nd see if they can help me figure it out.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Rs43EVOman

Ok, well its been a while, but none of you guys were even close, and it was basically the 1 thing i never checked. MY flywheel nut was and im being absolutely serious, about 1/16th of a turn loose. it took all my strength to tighten it that little bit. And that was the problem the whole time.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:41 AM
MiamizFinest

then is wasnt a enigine problem it was a user error problem.........
Old 01-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Timmahh
Banned

its usually the last thing check as it s the hardest to get to..lol plus most think snug is ok. but yes makes sense, air leak at the front bearing from loose flywheel nut.

Timmahh
Old 01-03-2007, 01:17 PM
supermoto552

Same here mate, i was hitting my head against the brick wall too with my RS4 when i got it ready to sell it, got my old T-15 engine screwed back in it and was ready to post it off, thought i better make sure it ran first and check it over and the little asswipe wouldn't start, stripped all carb down and blew it all out with air line and still nothing, couldn't figure it out till my rotastart ran out, so put it on my starter box to carry on and the penny dropped, could have thrown thing on the floor in anger, the bloody flywheels just spinning and not even turning over, ah well, least it was easily solved. Glad you got yours sorted in the end.