Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

1/10 Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:19 AM
sputnikxxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/10 Suggestions

Today My step son started showing intrest in my 1/8 car, so im thinkin bout getting him one,

I want to get a kit, I want something that has plenty of upgrade parts,I want something that is raceable or can eventually be raceable... I want to hear your guys opinions about the

HPI Rs4 18ss+
TC3
or any other cars that you guys have and like,

From what ive heard stay away from the nitro 4 tec by traxxas....

Old 05-08-2007, 01:28 AM
Igotntc3andrevo

Default RE: 1/10 Suggestions

man all you have to do is search..........matter a fact just look on the first two pages im sure you will find a ton of back and forths on these two cars.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:03 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2 you mentioned are good choices. As said above, no shortage of info. Interestingly, there is a 1/10th RTR that has a race body just like the one you should be putting on your 1/8th soon, it's the Team Magic G4S le mans. Sweet car. Comes with a lola racing body just like the racing 1/8ths use. Worth a thought.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:59 AM
Igotntc3andrevo

yeah here is a link to the car foxy is talking about I bought the knock off version that shares everything as the g4 that team magic makes. Check out the build if you want should start on saturday or sunday.

They have a slew of aftermarket parts for these cars to

http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....oducts_id=9585
Old 05-08-2007, 05:25 AM
sputnikxxx

What do you guys think about the serpent 720?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Foxy

It's a competition car. Not for a young un, expensive to maintain, it's a fantastic car though. I've heard of people running such cars in car parks and on the road etc, but that's not really a good idea, they are belt driven with very little in the way of drivetrain protection, they are for groomed racetracks, as they are race cars. Simple as that. running them on the road would neccessitate higher ride height, compromises in setup, which by the time you'd done them would make it no better than a car half it's price.

If you are prepared to spend that kind of cash, get the G4S, it's in the middle of the comp cars and basher RTRs. It is raceable down the line, and should be very rewarding on smooth streets.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:50 AM
sputnikxxx

I think he could handle it, but I do see your point about mostly bashing,... He will be doing competition racing, but mainly street bashing....

At the park we have fresh paved cement so having a good place to drive is not a problem...

I guess he doesnt have to have top of the line, but I dont want Junk, I want something that has a good bit of adjustment, and hop ups...

something that can be set up as a drifter if he would like or for racing if he chose....

Money is not a problem...seeing as I will get a lot of grass cut for free

Old 05-08-2007, 06:44 AM
drive.hard-go.pro

the hobao gpx4 has a lot of mods which convert it to a race car and also can be coverted for drifting as I heard from others......belt driven... great car...
Old 05-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: sputnikxxx

hop ups...

something that can be set up as a drifter if he would like or for racing if he chose....

I see what you're saying, and your reply was going great until the point where I've started the quotes. Competition cars don't need hop ups. The xray for instance, you can't improve it, it's the ultimate machine. Any aluminium you add will destroy it's balance, etc, etc...not to mention that xray doesn't 'do' those kinds of hop ups...the same goes for the serpent. The only parts you'd change would be in the name of tuning options, to induce different behaviours from the chassis.

Drifting...hmmm, well, personally, I think it would be a crime to take a car that is all about traction, put a competition .12 in it, and then start trying to drift it. You really have to choose one or the other. At least, if you did decide to try to drift a competition car, for gawds sake don't do it with a competition motor as well, get some cheap crap so that when it loses compression after 3 gallons of constant 30,000rpm, you won't care. Any car can be drifted, but belt driven is not advisable for this, it is much easier with a shaft drive car.

I still say that your best option would be an AE Nitro TC3 factory team kit or an HPI 18SS. They are both very well supported, lots of hop ups, enough adjustment. They can both be raced in the club class (the supersport or modified class requires serious investment, $300 tire truing machines, $200 of set up equipment, spares, blah blah., this is where he would have to run the serpent or the xray, against experienced drivers).

I'm not being critical, honestly, just trying to present the options as I see them.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Igotntc3andrevo

due to what he is saying he will use it for I think the team magic g4s is his best bet, As you say a car doesnt need up grades that is somewhat true maybe not an upgrade put more a tuning option wi would say. Im serious check out the g4s it looks like something that you would want.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:55 AM
sputnikxxx

ok I will do some more looking around, I appreciate the advice,.... you guys know what works and what doesnt so it doesnt bother me one bit when you tell me this car is not good, or no dont do that.... not hurting my feelings one bit.... When I ask for advice I am asking for a reason because I honesty "do not know" lol...

so It looks like im narrowed down to the hpi, tc3 or the g4s